Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 09:27 AM

4,526 posts, read 5,098,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowsAndBeer View Post
Cleveland is a more run-down Milwaukee lacking additional amenities.
Really? I guess if you don't like Cleveland's best-in-nation orchestra, largest theater district outside NYC, one of the largest per capita libraries, one of the greatest art museums, elite medical facilities (Cleve Clinic and University Hospitals), very strong and growing foodie scene, strong and reviving in-city/close-in burbs neighborhoods, high quality city and suburban living, far superior mass transit, etc., etc., etc., .... than these are NOT amenities to you, so Milwaukee is clearly better ... to you...

... but rest assured, most people see otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2013, 10:14 AM

81 posts, read 270,037 times
TheProf is correct. Those who bang Cleveland need to do some research. Better still, visit!! It is not the Cleveland people use to shun. Again, do your research before making statements about Cleveland.

Old 07-13-2013, 12:24 PM

1,374 posts, read 3,254,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
Really? I guess if you don't like Cleveland's best-in-nation orchestra, largest theater district outside NYC, one of the largest per capita libraries, one of the greatest art museums, elite medical facilities (Cleve Clinic and University Hospitals), very strong and growing foodie scene, strong and reviving in-city/close-in burbs neighborhoods, high quality city and suburban living, far superior mass transit, etc., etc., etc., .... than these are NOT amenities to you, so Milwaukee is clearly better ... to you...

... but rest assured, most people see otherwise.
I completely agree! A posting by 'CowsAndBeer' actually stated that Columbus has a better arts & music scene than Cleveland???

Huh??????

They clearly DO NOT KNOW ANYTHING about our # 1 rated CLEVELAND ORCHESTRA, the plethora of indie clubs that cater to rock music and other genres that inhabit every corner of this city. What about the WORLD RENOWNED Cleveland Museum of Art ... widely regarded as one of THE TOP 5 ART MUSEUMS IN AMERICA!!!

As you mentioned, Cleveland has the 2nd largest theater district in the United States ... something not even Chicago can stake a claim to, let alone Milwaukee or Columbus.

Cleveland has soooooooooooo many vast amenities, it's one of the reasons I returned "home" to live here.

Old 07-13-2013, 04:52 PM

3,844 posts, read 9,283,509 times
The bang for your buck with the available amenities is perhaps Cleveland's greatest strengths...especially regarding the walkable amenities. You can get to all the bars/restaurant districts, museums, stadiums, theaters, comedy clubs etc with public transportation and/or walking.

Old 07-13-2013, 08:30 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,614,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
OMG, now you've gone and done it, by golly, by gee! (Sort of like mentioning that the emperor's wearing NO CLOTHES...) In YOUR case, I strongly recommend hiring a personal bodyguard; Cbus-boosters are out there and they do not react kindly to such insolent comments as yours.

Bring them on !

Old 07-13-2013, 08:33 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,614,322 times
Quote:
Cleveland at least has a history, Cincy is terribly boring and has contributed very little to the arts.

Cincinnati was a big city when Columbus consisted of just a few shacks.

Old 07-13-2013, 10:20 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,213,679 times
I can say CowsandBeer has no idea what hes talking about, he says ignorant things about Cleveland, Cincinnati, Columbus. Pretty much every city of this thread.

Old 07-13-2013, 10:45 PM

3,413 posts, read 5,124,203 times
Cleveland's transit system was put in place when the city was twice as large, meaning it has one of the highest per-capita number of bus stops in the country. In 2007, RTA won an award for best public transportation in North America.RTA wins honor as best big-transit system in nation | cleveland.com

On a historical note, at one time, the city was rife with streetcars that went all over in the city, but due to lobbyists from the auto companies, all of them were sold.

Old 07-14-2013, 06:24 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,021,517 times
Quote:
Columbus is too sprawling, but it has the best arts and music scene in Ohio hands down. If that's bland, I don't know what the word is for the other towns. Cleveland at least has a history, Cincy is terribly boring and has contributed very little to the arts...
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
I can say CowsandBeer has no idea what hes talking about, he says ignorant things about Cleveland, Cincinnati, Columbus. Pretty much every city of this thread.
When it comes to the differences between high and low culture, I'm afraid that explaining it all to "CowsAndBeer" would prove futile. If ever there was a "Freudian moniker," it's the one this guy's inflicted upon himself. Therefore, any attempt to educate "CowsAndBeer" about Cleveland's and Cincinnati's venerable, respected cultures isn't the path to take; better that we convince this fella to remain in Columbus, enjoy all the boy bands and beer possible, and continue to keep the rest of us entertained.

Old 07-14-2013, 06:41 AM

1,312 posts, read 2,168,609 times
The irony of course is "Cows and Beer" is a reference to a seminal band that whizzed over everyone's head (except a guy from MN on another thread). It was used by them because everywhere they toured ignorant folks (like the guy above) said "Wisconsin, isn't that just cows and beers?" I like Cleveland and I think it's definitely underrated by most. However, it really is a more run-down Milwaukee lacking additional amenities. Remember, we're comparing Milw/Clev/Cincy here?

The thing is, I've written about music professionally. I've toured in bands. I've booked tours internationally. I'm very well-connected with the arts scene, and have been for close to 30 years. Ballet, 3rd run Broadway plays and classical music are not modern "arts," they are what your grandmother can accept as "arts." Every metro in the Midwest has a variation of the theatre, orchestra, etc. Real, cutting edge arts (what is happening now) vary city-to-city vastly. Cleveland and Cincy simply do not compare with Columbus today (or for the past few decades), and I would know, since I've been booking bands and installations for a couple decades now and this is the kind of information I have to possess.

Not one of you from Ohio has displayed that you've ever been to Milwaukee in your lives, yet you're calling me (someone who has spent time in each of these cities) clueless. Until I see competent information from someone who clearly has been to these three cities, everything said is completely irrelevant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City