Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is "The City" to you?
San Francisco 62 27.19%
New York City 87 38.16%
Boston 7 3.07%
Chicago 30 13.16%
Los Angeles 3 1.32%
Washington DC 7 3.07%
Philadelphia 10 4.39%
San Diego 0 0%
Seattle 7 3.07%
Atlanta 15 6.58%
Voters: 228. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 08:16 PM

669 posts, read 915,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastBestCoast2 View Post
Yes but being that those two areas have the historical nickname "The City" people from there will likely vote disproportionately trying to defend their namesake. The OP did not say what do you think of when you hear the word city, the OP asked about the place called "The City" capitalized as a name. I'm from LA, I know of it, people I know have heard it, have said it, etc. Are you seriously suggesting people in Alabama would think of Manhattan? If you saw the map put up awhile back you can see SF and NYC have similar geographic bubbles around them when people were asked "What is the City." You seem to be the only one in disagreement with everyone who pops on this thread. How dare we insinuate that somewhere outside NYC could have a widely known nickname for historical reasons!? Of COURSE only NYC is the place worthy of the word city. haha. Ridiculous!
Sorry I must have forgot the C-D forum rule where nothing can ever be compared to NYC in any way, shape, or form.
This is just getting foolish now. So because NYC and SF have similar geographic bubbles around them from people within their regions on a map people all over the world think of SF as being one the same level? lol. The only thing that map shows is people on within their own regions think. In case you haven't been paying attention his poll is for everybody as the OP clearly said when I asked him. And LA and Chicago both have more people in every single category. If people from their regions were voting to "disproportionately trying to defend their namesake" both of them would way ahead of SF. The fact that SF is actually ahead of them says SF area people are actually the ones doing that if anything. So your argument is weak.

Yes, most people in places like Alabama don't think Manhattan when a city is mentioned, they like most people outside of NYC just think New York. Which gets to to mention the FACT again that the name San Francisco is nowhere even close to the same level in people's mind when a city is mentioned. Also, that the whole argument about people knowing "the city" as a nickname is just one of the stupidest things I have ever heard. The city is not a nickname it's words used in a conversation. Most people neither in this country much less in the world has any clue what so ever that "the city" is one of the substitute names for San Francisco. You two are just one of the odd ones that thinks that.

The manner of your tone sure sounds older than 18 posts. It makes one wonder if you are only arguing to give some kind of a consolation for California. There is your username to top that off.

Last edited by yyuusr; 07-15-2013 at 08:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 08:19 PM

605 posts, read 1,165,537 times
Generally in the Greater Boston area "the City" refers to Boston. The only times it wouldn't would be if it meant Worcester or Providence.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:35 PM

68 posts, read 86,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yyuusr View Post
This is just getting foolish now. So because NYC and SF have similar geographic bubbles around them from people within their regions on a map people all over the world think of SF as being one the same level? lol. The only thing that map shows is people on within their own regions think. In case you haven't been paying attention his poll is for everybody as the OP clearly said when I asked him. And LA and Chicago both have more people in every single category. If people from their regions were voting to "disproportionately trying to defend their namesake" both of them would way ahead of SF. The fact that SF is actually ahead of them says SF area people are actually the ones doing that if anything. So your argument is weak.

Yes, most people in places like Alabama don't think Manhattan when a city is mentioned, they like most people outside of NYC just think New York. Which gets to to mention the FACT again that the name San Francisco is nowhere even close to the same level in people's mind when a city is mentioned. Also, that the whole argument about people knowing "the city" as a nickname is just one of the stupidest things I have ever heard. The city is not a nickname it's words used in a conversation. Most people neither in this country much less in the world has any clue what so ever that "the city" is one of the substitute names for San Francisco. You two are just one of the odd ones that thinks that.

The manner of your tone sure sounds older than 18 posts. It makes one wonder if you are only arguing to give some kind of a consolation for California. There is your username to top that off.
I mean I love Cali, I do live here so I'm pretty biased about that haha.. The point is, and the OP has reiterated this, is that SF and Manhattan are unique as The City is a nickname, where are places like Chicago and LA don't have that, which is why they aren't voting as much. I have read a lot more on C-D than really posting, I didn't even make an account until a few weeks ago. California doesn't need any consolation. I guess all I can say is read the rest of the posts in this thread, you'll see we are not the only two. Like we both said, it isn't a competition of who is better, just a historic thing about nicknames. READ THE REST OF THE THREAD PLEASE.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:41 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,244,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Do all those people in the South really refer to NYC as simply the city?
I find that very hard to believe
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
That map doesnt make sense, I dont think it should automatically be believed since its on the internets...
I was thinking about this and I believe I may have a partial historical explanation for it.

Its not just immigrants moving to NYC (and SF on the West Coast) and then moving across the country that spread the term "the city" for Manhattan. Its people from within the United States moving to New York. In particular many Southerners, both black and white, moved north after 1900.

Think about this, every time they wrote home, called home, visited the folks back down South, etc. they would say things like "I am living in the city" or "I am working in the city". Or simply "when are you going to come up and visit us in the city"?

When you think about like that, its less surprising that Manhattan is called "the city" in different parts of the country.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:59 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
I don't know where this so called "confusion among NYC area people" is coming from. We can all agree that Manhattan is "the city" and a nickname for NYC is "The City", which makes perfect sense considering its high status in the country and the world.

Old 07-16-2013, 01:32 AM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
I mean I love Cali, I do live here so I'm pretty biased about that haha.. The point is, and the OP has reiterated this, is that SF and Manhattan are unique as The City is a nickname, where are places like Chicago and LA don't have that, which is why they aren't voting as much. I have read a lot more on C-D than really posting, I didn't even make an account until a few weeks ago. California doesn't need any consolation. I guess all I can say is read the rest of the posts in this thread, you'll see we are not the only two. Like we both said, it isn't a competition of who is better, just a historic thing about nicknames. READ THE REST OF THE THREAD PLEASE.
Pretty Much.

Old 07-16-2013, 01:57 AM

364 posts, read 619,323 times
The only people voting SF as "the city" is Californians

Meanwhile southerners and Midwesterners are voting ny, which is why they lead the poll

Old 07-16-2013, 03:16 AM

669 posts, read 915,469 times
Quote:
And the fact still remains that almost NOBODY apart from people from their own regions world know of these alleged nicknames. In the case of NYC however it's one of the cities people all over the world would think of first when city is mentioned, way ahead of San Francisco and in much greater quantity. That part is fact. Nobody is trying to make it out as a competition but you guys, that's just how it is. San Francisco just doesn't pack that weight behind it's name like the way New York does in this case.

READ THE THREAD YOURSELF. When I asked the OP he clearly said that he put the thread in general forum so that it would be for everybody. And I don't see much others like this but you two who keep on arguing with this line. If he really did try to ask what you suggested he did this was a very bad question which should have been worded differently and explained with more detail.

Last edited by yyuusr; 07-16-2013 at 03:30 AM..

Old 07-16-2013, 09:05 AM

68 posts, read 86,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yyuusr View Post
And the fact still remains that almost NOBODY apart from people from their own regions world know of these alleged nicknames. In the case of NYC however it's one of the cities people all over the world would think of first when city is mentioned, way ahead of San Francisco and in much greater quantity. That part is fact. Nobody is trying to make it out as a competition but you guys, that's just how it is. San Francisco just doesn't pack that weight behind it's name like the way New York does in this case.

READ THE THREAD YOURSELF. When I asked the OP he clearly said that he put the thread in general forum so that it would be for everybody. And I don't see much others like this but you two who keep on arguing with this line. If he really did try to ask what you suggested he did this was a very bad question which should have been worded differently and explained with more detail.
Make that three (see above). If you start from the beginning you will also see plenty more. Last time I checked SF is second in the poll, so it isn't like NYC has reached some untouchable level with its nickname. I have read the ENTIRE thread lol. Again, it doesn't say the word city, it says The City, a nickname. Many many people agreed and then you just randomly dropped by to tell us all how superior NYC is to every other place. (You know, the Los Angeles CSA is catching up to NYC's CSA right? Ohh! Ok sorry that wasn't very nice.)

List of city nicknames in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Looks like there are only two places with the nickname the City. NYC (specifically Manhattan) and San Francisco. Argue all you want, you can't change history.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:11 AM

517 posts, read 678,294 times
Quote:
You know, the Los Angeles CSA is catching up to NYC's CSA right? Ohh! Ok sorry that wasn't very nice
Actually, it isn't. The NY CSA now includes Allentown-Bethlehem, and the gap between the two CSAs is actually bigger than its been in decades.

I don't think LA CSA will ever catch up to NY CSA, because NY CSA is surrounded by other metro areas to annex, and LA is mostly surrounded by desert and ocean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City