Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 12:08 PM

669 posts, read 914,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastphilly View Post
Any post that tries to use city/metro population as a way to elevate a city's prestige/level of world class I always find that comical.

I guess an endless sea of residential housing and a landscape that reeks of suburbia is the "In Thing" and automatically bumps the city a tier up.
Not a dig at you but a few well known posters are the most famous for using the San Francisco metro to do that. Their main objective is to brag as much as they can about Oakland but they switch their argument to "The Bay Area" in the snap of finger whenever any discussion of importance comes up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 12:14 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,982,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yyuusr View Post
Not a dig at you but a few well known posters are the most famous for using the San Francisco metro to do that. Their main objective is to brag as much as they can about Oakland but they switch their argument to "The Bay Area" in the snap of finger whenever any discussion of importance comes up.

What other city homer doesn't include the surrounding metro area to substantiate their claims? That isn't exclusive to the Bay Area.

Old 07-11-2013, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastphilly View Post
What other city homer doesn't include the surrounding metro area to substantiate their claims? That isn't exclusive to the Bay Area.
I am not saying that people from other places don't do that but in this forum the famous ones most people know are from the SF area because they are the ones that do it the most and push it to the most extreme levels. Don't want to start controversy by naming names by people know who they are.

Old 07-11-2013, 12:42 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,982,352 times
Quote:
I am not saying that people from other places don't do that but in this forum the famous ones most people know are from the SF area because they are the ones that do it the most and push it to the most extreme levels. Don't want to start controversy by naming names by people know who they are.
Well to be fair, if there is any region where there is a valid argument about including areas beyond the region's focus city's limits it is the Bay Area. It's one region that shares the same media market, airport, transportation system, pro sports teams, etc.

My point was using population as the major factor to determine a city's ranking of importance is a weak point. I guess Jakarta is the fifth most important city in the world according to those numbers.

And I agree, this forum is full of fanboys who nominate themselves as a city's e-representative and take it as personal as someone calling their mother a four letter word.

Old 07-11-2013, 12:59 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Yes, regions have the luxury of pointing out our various strengths depending on the thread topic.

Some of us just have more to brag about. Life is not fair as some places seem to score high on every category imagineable. Even I have to pinch myself.

#so_blessed

Old 07-11-2013, 01:19 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Billionaires by metro is another favorite

Old 07-11-2013, 01:30 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,205,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Anything that can be a DC as the new urban utopia or the word massive and DC can be used

Edit: Also any threads where gogo music becomes a topic for multiple pages
True, I admit. It's always funny when every time there be a DC vs Philly thread (And it's basically ALL THE TIME), both you and MDALLSTAR be going in on each other Lol

Both DC AND Philly got their fair share of boosters on this forum.

Last edited by tcave360; 07-11-2013 at 01:50 PM..

Old 07-11-2013, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Billionaires by metro is another favorite
Not to mention salaries without factoring in cost of living.

Old 07-11-2013, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
dementor was the best poster (and by best, I mean worst) on C-D. Loved all the dementor alter egos but always the same blinded bias, usually vented against Chicago. No objectivity/no reason, just blind, unmitigatedhating on Chicago. I used to ****love**** to respond to him/her/it just for the reaction.
Lol YESSS!!! I never understood his/her/it's vile hatred of Chicago...I mean I never visited Chicago yet but dude's claims be sounding too damned bogus...Hell, dementor even claimed in the Paris vs Chicago thread that Chi-Town had NO national and international cultural events It didn't matter if the Chicago posters kept throwing in significant stuff like Shedd Aquarium, Taste of Chicago, Oprah (An international event onto herself), Lollapalooza, etc., etc., etc. it hardly made an impression on dementor for one big reason...BECAUSE IT'S CHICAGO THAT'S WHY...As his location stated: Chicago-Mudhole in the Prairie What a klignon...

And then there was that kiss-ass AmericanBoy/Eurous1, always starting threads to get people's opinions and then later back tracks by labeling X city as inferior to Y city and wonders why would anyone in their right mind would ever compare them when he was the one who started the damn threads in the first place Look no further than San Francisco vs Paris by AmericanBoy or Chicago vs Paris by guess who...AmericanBoy Those were incredibly entertaining if a little mind-boggling too.

Old 07-11-2013, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Just rep you for this one! This is on point
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City