Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best city among these for a foodie?
New Orleans 36 57.14%
Boston 13 20.63%
Seattle 14 22.22%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 02:59 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,954,514 times

Advertisements

Compare everything about their culinary scenes. No stones left unturned. I'm a pretty big foodie and a places' culinary scene does influence how much I can stand a place or not.

In my memory I remember New Orleans best since it was 4 weeks ago, Boston next since I've done a long stay there in the past year, and Seattle least because I've only spent about 3 days in the place and had my own agenda in regards to what food I'd try, so didn't get the world's most varied experience there. Not too happy with what I ate there either.

Compare them in the food culture, how big the culture of food is ingrained in the fabric of the city. From the top chefs to specialties to cool stuff they do uniquely. Compare also the setting and quality of atmosphere (looks and service) of the restaurants or food trucks or whatever. Compare also on the signature regional cuisines these cities are known for. Compare after that on the varieties of food you can find in these places.

You get the idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2013, 03:17 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,138,742 times
I have minimal experience with Boston, so I'm not even going to address that.

But my vote goes to Seattle, for the overall food scene.

I love the food in New Orleans. It's the only place I've been where I'd go back, just to eat. I love Cajun food. But the downside to it is, it's mainly one type of food. There are tons of great restaurants, in the Quarter alone. But it's just doesn't seem to be a very diverse food scene.

Seattle has greater varieties of restaurants. A great market. A growing Food Truck scene. And in the long term, it'd be my preference for its signature regional cuisine. Seafood, cooked simply, fresh, and cleanly.

Old 07-08-2013, 06:14 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,954,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post

I love the food in New Orleans. It's the only place I've been where I'd go back, just to eat. I love Cajun food. But the downside to it is, it's mainly one type of food. There are tons of great restaurants, in the Quarter alone. But it's just doesn't seem to be a very diverse food scene.

Seattle has greater varieties of restaurants. A great market. A growing Food Truck scene. And in the long term, it'd be my preference for its signature regional cuisine. Seafood, cooked simply, fresh, and cleanly.
Pretty thorough post EnricoV.

How you feel about Boston is how I do about Seattle. Three days is nothing in terms of time to try out any type of varied food there. Not to happy with the time I had but I'll have to look deeper next time around.

Although I must say, being a Thai and Korean fanatic, I was particularly displeased but again my sample size was 7 restaurants for both types of foods combined and nothing worthwhile or noteworthy.

Here's my issue with food in Boston. Regardless of what restaurant I went to, whether it was a Thai, Italian, burrito place, Indian food, pizza place, whatever, I found it strange how small their serving sizes were. I mean, all across the board, the quality of the food ranged from so-so to spectacular but nothing extraordinarily unique but the serving sizes were a bummer, once again, across the board. Overall, my impression of the food there is positive. I could definitely live by it if I lived there, although to be frank, compared to out west in Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle, New Orleans, Houston, even Chicago or New York, I found that the quality of the food didn't tier up well with the exorbitant pricing.

As a foodie though, if I feel I'm getting quality stuff, then price doesn't matter but cant help but sometimes feeling ripped off potential monies worth. I've had better (and more) for less.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 07-08-2013 at 06:23 PM..

Old 07-08-2013, 06:45 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,330,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Code Lyoko View Post
Pretty thorough post EnricoV.
Not completely. For one, the authentic food of New Orleans is Creole; not Cajun. Second, yes, Creole is the most popular food there, but there is an incredible level of diversity for a city that size: French, Italian, Spanish, Caribbean, African, and plenty more. This is something that those of us who don't stick to the tourist traps would know. I've known New Orleans since I was little kid and I discover something new all the time.

Old 07-08-2013, 09:14 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,285,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post

Yea it's not Cajun, it's creole. Cajun food isn't easy to find in the city. New Orleans is far from one dimensional in the food category. You have to leave the Quarter to see it. Seafood is my favorite food so I think I would love the food in Seattle but I love spicy seafood more.

The thing about south Louisiana is that most people here can actually cook, we don't have to go a restaurant to get good food, we can just cook for ourselves like I do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Not completely. For one, the authentic food of New Orleans is Creole; not Cajun. Second, yes, Creole is the most popular food there, but there is an incredible level of diversity for a city that size: French, Italian, Spanish, Caribbean, African, and plenty more. This is something that those of us who don't stick to the tourist traps would know. I've known New Orleans since I was little kid and I discover something new all the time.
Thank you!!

Vietnamese, Greek, Mexican, and Lebanese as well.

Old 07-08-2013, 10:22 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,111,073 times
I would take Seattle then Boston then New Orleans.

I like them all, dont love creole food. Good sea food in all three, but I prefer New England and Pacific vs Gulf seafood.

Old 07-08-2013, 10:23 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,496,781 times
I voted Boston, it's way bigger and international... more options. Foodies need more options. 7+ mil metro vs 1 and some change. New Orleans is better than pound per pound than the other two though, but going to new places doesn't work out that way in reality if you are living somewhere. Same reasons I'd pick Houston over New Orleans ... way more options over the long run.

Old 07-08-2013, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I voted Boston, it's way bigger and international... more options. Foodies need more options. 7+ mil metro vs 1 and some change. New Orleans is better than pound per pound than the other two though, but going to new places doesn't work out that way in reality if you are living somewhere. Same reasons I'd pick Houston over New Orleans ... way more options over the long run.
New restauraunt are literally opening every week. Not trying to say it's better than Boston or anything but it is a true food city with plenty of options in the city and in Jefferson Parish.

Old 07-09-2013, 12:00 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,496,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
New restauraunt are literally opening every week. Not trying to say it's better than Boston or anything but it is a true food city with plenty of options in the city and in Jefferson Parish.
I never doubted that, people take food seriously there, pound for pound it beats the other two. For a foodie though, I think they would go with the bigger area assuming it has a decent food scene, like a Boston, or down the road... Houston, in the long run. Might be different story for vacation though.

Old 07-09-2013, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I never doubted that, people take food seriously there, pound for pound it beats the other two. For a foodie though, I think they would go with the bigger area assuming it has a decent food scene, like a Boston, or down the road... Houston, in the long run. Might be different story for vacation though.
Living in Houston and loving the city to death, often defending it, I wouldn't chose it over New Orleans for food. Perhaps that's my black and gold glasses though..

How do Seattle and Boston compare for seafood? What are the differences in cooking styles?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City