U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 11:45 PM

7 posts, read 8,471 times

Advertisements

I am so torn between the two places. I've only been to Vegas, but an avid traveller/hippie friend highly suggested I consider Portland.

Being from North Carolina, it is more diverse in both Portland and Vegas. What I love about Vegas is mostly the nightclubs; I have been a bartender at 2 clubs here in NC and I just LOVE the scene. I'm unsure what Portland's like, but I'm sure it's fun.

The only thing Vegas lacks is the diversity in the music scene. I really love and enjoy jam bands/rock/indie.

Anyways I feel Vegas would be the place for me since I am a single, young 26y/o, woman with no kids who wants more faster, exciting lifestyle.

I am a Licensed Esthetician with some extra training and I'm hoping there is a high demand for spa services. I've seen some services that are offered in Vegas that don't exist in NC, so it excites me that I can do more.

Vegas dreaming here- Any thoughts if I'd like it there? Can a spa job pay rent in Vegas (perhaps if I share)?

Last edited by MotherofDragons; 07-10-2013 at 12:51 AM.. Reason: detail
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 11:47 PM

11,605 posts, read 5,449,768 times
Vegas is not expensive. It's mostly a sewer, though.

Old 07-09-2013, 11:49 PM

12,973 posts, read 12,134,962 times
You are not ready for Portland....a sweet laid back place.

Las Vegas is up an order of magnitude from Portland.

You will be much happier in NC until you get a little more worldly...

Old 07-09-2013, 11:54 PM

515 posts, read 1,020,111 times
Watch the tv show Portlandia, it is a documentary. Well, almost. It looks like some episodes are free to watch on hulu.

Old 07-10-2013, 12:26 AM

7 posts, read 8,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
You will be much happier in NC until you get a little more worldly...
I've been to other countries (I have a passport) and states, just not Portland.

I can wait for Portland. Vegas would probably be more fulfilling.

Old 07-10-2013, 12:52 AM

2,438 posts, read 2,499,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotherofDragons View Post
I've been to other countries (I have a passport) and states, just not Portland.

I can wait for Portland. Vegas would probably be more fulfilling.
.....especially knowing you are into nightlife and have experience working behind the bar serving alcohol. You will make money if you ever get a job tending bar at one of the resorts on the Strip and even Downtown Vegas. Spas are also available in many of the resorts in town and if you're interested, foot spas are plenty in town as well. Hehehe!

Old 07-10-2013, 03:21 AM

168 posts, read 160,118 times
I hear Portland is niiiice! Just had a buddy of mine move up there with his SO and hear nothing but good things.
Sounds like a Vegas stop for you is what you really want. It's probably the better choice at this point. Once you're here for a few years and want to settle down then Portland might be the place to be.
I am pretty much in the same boat as you. I'm a 25 year old single male except I was born and raised here. Not too big on the nightclub scene considering prices... but I do know a couple co-workers that abuse bottle service like their paychecks are triple what they are! No. Thank. You!
Town square, downtown and a couple nice off strip bars are my usual crowd. Not cheap, but won't break the wallet. Nice environments and outgoing crowds.
Crowds are the thing though. Knowing people makes everything easier here. Friends of friends and go down the grape vine to find the people you actually like...haha.

My guess with your job experience is to try and land something before the move. It all really depends on your financial situation and living standards now. I have no idea the cost of living where you are, but Vegas usually surprises people on how cheap it is.
I think you really know what you want and will make the right move for yourself. Vegas can be fun and Vegas can be boring. Coming here with the right attitude and realistic expectations and you'll do fine. Just don't come here thinking The Hangover will happen every weekend....well...unless you're loaded!!!
If you make it out here and plan on having a big social life feel free to PM me. I always like meeting new people and I know first hand on how hard it is to find friends you can actually connect with.
Good luck with everything! I'll check back to see if you have any other questions.

BTW, Great username! GOT is one hell of a series.

Old 07-10-2013, 07:49 AM

3,977 posts, read 6,331,039 times
The hell with Portland, move to ASHLAND, it is hip cool like vegas, but still Oregon

you get the best of both worlds

Jonathan

Old 07-10-2013, 08:00 AM

9,972 posts, read 14,014,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgeek View Post
The hell with Portland, move to ASHLAND, it is hip cool like vegas, but still Oregon

you get the best of both worlds
I lived in Ashland. It's a small hippie college town nestled at the foot of the Siskiyou Mountains with an economy based around a Shakespeare Festival that's over four hours from any big city.

How does that sound anything like Vegas to any degree?

Old 07-10-2013, 08:01 AM

10,287 posts, read 12,397,783 times
Um, neither have big city lifestyles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or