Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2013, 10:24 PM

1 posts, read 5,579 times

Advertisements

I have lived in the New York City metropolitan area for most of my life, and as I am about to finish college (also in New York), I am considering I may not want to live the rest of my life there. I love New York's liberal culture and artistic/cultural significance and I really appreciate the new developments in Brooklyn. However, I have become repulsed upon realizing how rude New Yorkers are in comparison to other cities, and see little use in dealing with the pretensions and rat-race elements of New York life. The values that people seem to appreciate in the city also do not seem conducive for bringing up children (although G-d-willing that is a ways away).

I am considering living in another city after graduation. One that is pretty big, with tolerant, liberal people and a decent-sized Jewish community. The presence of a significant artistic or university population would be a huge plus, as would be one committed to active living (biking, hiking) or sustainability. I would like to also be in a place where there are good values and a general commitment to being genuine as opposed to how much money you make, etc.

Assuming I was able to live in another city, which one is the best out of
-Chicago
-Portland (Oregon)
-Austin
-Seattle
- Minneapolis
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 10:37 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,458,154 times
Wow you really picked a list of cities that all include these values! Seattle offers everything on your list as well offering an urban and cosmopolitan feel that you may miss in New York. Obviously not as big or dense put definitely gives off the biggest city feel out of all these (Except Chicago). We have a very creative and innovative population. We offer all the Hiking and biking you need. Beautiful summers (Best in the country!) Water activities, entertainment and very diverse liberal population.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:36 PM

7,775 posts, read 10,151,102 times
Yeah that seems to be a pretty strong list for you. My only wonder is whether Austin is a big enough city for you. It's a great place and offers so much for its size, but considering you've lived your whole life in NYC and say you want one that is pretty big, I hesitate on recommending Austin. Portland, likewise, is really phenomenal for its size (and larger than Austin) but once again don't know if it's big enough for you.

I think noticeably absent from this list is San Francisco, and you might also want to consider Denver since it hits on a number of your factors as well.

Oh, and I guess to actually answer your question of which is best from that list, I'd say Chicago is the obvious answer for a "NYC minus the attitude" equation. It's gonna be the closest to a NYC environment while being friendlier, cleaner, cheaper, and more laid back.

Old 07-17-2013, 12:17 PM

1,907 posts, read 3,226,869 times
This is a tough one all those cities are great! Seattle and Chicago I'd say match up best. And as the poster above mentioned San Francisco would be a great contender.

Old 07-17-2013, 03:59 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,860,948 times
Well, it really depends on what size city you want. Chicago is more comparable to New York as a huge, dense city than the other choices, but the Midwestern location and weather are drawbacks. I'd probably rank them Chicago, Seattle, Portland, Minneapolis, Austin.

Old 07-17-2013, 04:10 PM

36 posts, read 65,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardent Mann View Post
However, I have become repulsed upon realizing how rude New Yorkers are in comparison to other cities, and see little use in dealing with the pretensions and rat-race elements of New York life. The values that people seem to appreciate in the city also do not seem conducive for bringing up children (although G-d-willing that is a ways away).
You will probably find out later on that what you considered to be 'rude' is actually 'straightforward' and 'open'. Don't confuse 'friendly' with 'polite' if/when you move somewhere else. I personally miss New York and think that's one of the few places where I'd like to raise my child. No place is perfect as we all learn sooner or later.

Old 07-17-2013, 05:24 PM

541 posts, read 912,028 times
Chicago I would say is your first choice, then Seattle.

Chicago will provide you with everything you want, just less extreme. Trimmed fat if you will.

Old 07-17-2013, 05:32 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,211,212 times
Chicago HANDS DOWN is your best choice, they have the largest Jewish population out of any of the cities.

Old 07-18-2013, 10:02 AM

1,312 posts, read 2,167,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
Chicago HANDS DOWN is your best choice, they have the largest Jewish population out of any of the cities.
Right, and in my experience the only places most native New Yorkers end up moving and being happy down the road are Chicago and San Fran.

Old 07-18-2013, 03:25 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,502,881 times
Chicago, SF or Seattle is what I'd recommend if you want a big city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City