Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 02:38 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,982,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
Right, all I am saying is that a landmark does not make a city more world class. It just makes it more famous. Class does not always equal famous.

A city like Sao Paulo has no landmark, and very unknown to most, but it is very world class. It has great museums, food, diversity, activity, etc.

Now if the question is what city is more globally iconic or famous? Yeah than landmarks matter a lot more and Chicago would lose out to SF. But the question is world class, not most famous or iconic. There is a difference in those definitions.
Sure but San Francisco does meet the criteria that merits the city as a world class destination. It's the largest financial center on the West Coast home to many top tier companies, the dining scene is on a high level, the ethnic diversity is present, The Cable Cars are the only moving National Monument! I still stand by my Iconic structures/landmark statement. People travel to a city to take advantage of the criteria you mentioned but also to get a first hand glimpse of those iconic landmarks which is a huge part of the draw from visitors abroad. So there is some merit as to what I've been saying.

Old 07-17-2013, 02:39 PM

798 posts, read 1,033,642 times
Atlanta is #7 in the US?! I was not expecting that. Also, I did not what Victoria's Peak was until I read this thread. The thing that is iconic about Hong Kong is the number of high rises compared to other cities.

Old 07-17-2013, 02:41 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,752,654 times
NY/LA.

That's it.

Miami & Las Vegas in terms of places people across the world want to say they went to.

Old 07-17-2013, 02:42 PM

517 posts, read 677,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
^^^ This is good.

I'm confused with all this "Chicago does not have an identifiable landmark" nonsense. What a bunch of malarky. If anything, Chicago has too many-- each of which is at least well-known in the US, if not globally ( at least when compared to other US cities.) Where do I start... the el? check. Wrigley Field-- most famous ballpark in baseball? check. Buckingham Fountain, John Hancock Center, Navy Pier, Millenium Park, the Art Institute, Field Museum, The Chicago River? Check. Every single one of these is known by most capable/educated adults in the US. Name a US city besides NYC (and DC, nation's capitol of course) that have more.
I think people are talking global landmarks.

And I think you're exaggerating, even for recognition within the U.S. Wrigley isn't more famous than Yankee Stadium or Fenway. Most Americans have never heard of Buckingham Fountain, or the Navy Pier, or the John Hancock Center. The Chicago River isn't a particularly famous river. And every major city has a famous museum, a famous park, etc. We're talking something like the Eifel Tower or the Great Wall. Global icons, not Navy Pier.

But I do agree a city can be world class even if it doesn't have a globally recognized landmark.

Old 07-17-2013, 02:44 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,845,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCH_CDM View Post
I think people are talking global landmarks.

And I think you're exaggerating, even for recognition within the U.S. Wrigley isn't more famous than Yankee Stadium or Fenway. Most Americans have never heard of Buckingham Fountain, or the Navy Pier, or the John Hancock Center. The Chicago River isn't a particularly famous river. And every major city has a famous museum, a famous park, etc. We're talking something like the Eifel Tower or the Great Wall. Global icons, not Navy Pier.

But I do agree a city can be world class even if it doesn't have a globally recognized landmark.
I agree with you that most of those are more regional / national attractions than worldwide. I would say that Wrigley Field is quite famous. Same with the Sears Tower.

Overall I think Los Angeles easily has more worldwide recognized landmarks than Chicago.

Old 07-17-2013, 02:49 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
There have been no fewer than 15 other threads discussing this very same topic including one in the General U.S. forum whose most recent post was made just a few weeks ago. This topic has been done to death on here, and there's no reason to start a new thread. This one is now closed.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City