Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 09:34 AM

32,101 posts, read 34,714,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCH_CDM View Post
Ok, but why compare? They aren't really similar in these characteristics. NYC is much older, much more centralized, very different railroad system, very different sprawl.
Why compare any two places? Are there any comparisons that do make sense to you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2013, 09:46 AM

517 posts, read 678,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Why compare any two places? Are there any comparisons that do make sense to you?
You're right. I'm just wondering why there are specifically so many NYC and Chicago comparison threads. I don't get it. I don't see tons of NYC and LA comparison threads, or Chicago and Dallas comparison threads, or whatever.

Old 07-18-2013, 10:20 AM

32,101 posts, read 34,714,145 times
Quote:
You're right. I'm just wondering why there are specifically so many NYC and Chicago comparison threads. I don't get it. I don't see tons of NYC and LA comparison threads, or Chicago and Dallas comparison threads, or whatever.
It may just depend on your timing. There were so many NYC vs. LA threads at one point that mods just shut them down completely. It didn't matter if you were trying to put a different twist on your criteria or whatever. People just got sick of them. Same with skyline threads.

Not sure if we've reached that point with NYC vs. Chicago threads yet. We probably did at one point, but these things go in cycles, ya know.

Old 07-18-2013, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
It may just depend on your timing. There were so many NYC vs. LA threads at one point that mods just shut them down completely. It didn't matter if you were trying to put a different twist on your criteria or whatever. People just got sick of them. Same with skyline threads.

Not sure if we've reached that point with NYC vs. Chicago threads yet. We probably did at one point, but these things go in cycles, ya know.
Yeah, maybe it's just my timing. There must be like 10 threads right now comparing the cities on all kinds of random things. I don't get it.

Old 07-18-2013, 10:29 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Quote:
Ok, but why compare? They aren't really similar in these characteristics. NYC is much older, much more centralized, very different railroad system, very different sprawl.

I don't see why it's logical to compare the largest and third largest cities just because they both have large downtowns. They're set up totally different, from different eras, with different development patterns.
They're not all that similar, but out of American cities (large, centralized railroad cities) they're the most similar. Other cities are either too small or decentralized, or just too new.

And also, since these two have by far the biggest skylines in the country, people are misled into thinking they are more similar. Since Chicago's skyline appears to be a smaller version of Manhattan, some assume Chicago is a smaller version of New York City.

Old 07-18-2013, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
They're not all that similar, but out of American cities (large, centralized railroad cities) they're the most similar. Other cities are either too small or decentralized, or just too new.
I would disagree. Philly feels much similar to NYC than Chicago. Same with Boston. Even Baltimore and DC have more similar suburbs than Chicago.

Chicago, to me, has a totally different feel. It's much newer, flatter, grid-style development. The Northeastern cities have very different suburban development, without those mile road grids, and with less of those mega-subdivisions.

Maybe it's because I grew up in the Midwest, but if you blindfolded me and put me in suburban Chicago and suburban Detroit, I would have a hard time telling the difference, but I think I could immediately tell the difference in Long Island or NJ or Westchester. The winding roads, the random development, the less uniform density (much more high density and low density), the hills, the trees, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
And also, since these two have by far the biggest skylines in the country, people are misled into thinking they are more similar. Since Chicago's skyline appears to be a smaller version of Manhattan, some assume Chicago is a smaller version of New York City.
Yeah, they do have the two biggest skylines. But I don't see how that makes them similar. Miami has the #3 skyline, and Chicago is #2, so they must be similar? Not to me.

Old 07-18-2013, 02:05 PM

144 posts, read 271,109 times
Quote:

I don't see why it's logical to compare the largest and third largest cities just because they both have large downtowns. They're set up totally different, from different eras, with different development patterns.
I suppose I'm trying to pin down a more sociological comparison between the two metros. Chicago is an apt comparison to New York because it has the same (albeit at a smaller scale) social classes, ranges in wealth/poverty, ethnicities, etc. This isn't meant to be a comparison of physical layouts, so much as just who inhabits different section of suburbia between the two cities.

It looks like most people are of the opinion that the North Shore and Westerchester/SW Conn are pretty comparable in terms of being mostly overwhelmingly wealthier than other regions of the suburban metro. I'm a bit more curious as to if people have opinions on how Chicago's western suburbs, NW suburbs, SW suburbs, South Suburbs and NW Indiana compare with parts of North Jersey, Central Jersey, Hudson Valley, North Long Island, South Long Island, etc.

Old 07-18-2013, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH3Flatlander View Post
It looks like most people are of the opinion that the North Shore and Westerchester/SW Conn are pretty comparable in terms of being mostly overwhelmingly wealthier than other regions of the suburban metro.
This isn't true, though.

Yes, in Chicagoland, the North Shore is signficantly wealthier than other areas in Chicagoland. No one on earth would say Chicago's southern suburbs have the same wealth as the northern suburbs.

But in the NYC area, the wealth is more dispersed. The median incomes and concentrations of wealth in Long Island and parts of NJ is the same as in Westchester/CT.

So again, they have a different distribution of incomes across the metro area. In Chicagoland, wealth skews heavily northward (yes, there are exceptions, like Hinsdale, on the west side). In the NYC area, there is huge wealth northwards, in parts of Westchester and Coastal Connecticut, but there are very similar concentrations of wealth on the North Shore of LI, and in certain portions of Northern NJ.

So, yes, you could compare places like Winnekta to places like Greenwich, Westport, Scarsdale, or Rye (Westchester/CT), but you could just as easily compare to places like Great Neck, Manhasset or Roslyn (LI) or to Short Hills, Summit or Millburn (NJ). All these areas have that WASP or Jewish concentration, the downtowns with the rail stations and shopping, the elite public/private schools, country clubs, etc.

Probably the difference is that there is just more wealth in the NYC area, so there are more concentrations of elite suburbs. I'm not exactly sure why one region developed more of a north/south income/demographic split, while the other is a bit more mixed up.

Also, in the NYC area, you tend to have more working class suburbs mixed in next to elite suburbs, instead of on the other side of the metro area. So you have Greenwich, CT, which is super elite, but also has housing projects and lots of immigrants. Or you have super wealthy Rye, NY, next to working class Port Chester. It's a bit more town-by-town, or even neighborhood-by-neighborhood.

Old 07-18-2013, 02:52 PM

787 posts, read 1,696,552 times
Quote:
This isn't true, though.

Yes, in Chicagoland, the North Shore is signficantly wealthier than other areas in Chicagoland. No one on earth would say Chicago's southern suburbs have the same wealth as the northern suburbs.

But in the NYC area, the wealth is more dispersed. The median incomes and concentrations of wealth in Long Island and parts of NJ is the same as in Westchester/CT.

So again, they have a different distribution of incomes across the metro area. In Chicagoland, wealth skews heavily northward (yes, there are exceptions, like Hinsdale, on the west side). In the NYC area, there is huge wealth northwards, in parts of Westchester and Coastal Connecticut, but there are very similar concentrations of wealth on the North Shore of LI, and in certain portions of Northern NJ.

So, yes, you could compare places like Winnekta to places like Greenwich, Westport, Scarsdale, or Rye (Westchester/CT), but you could just as easily compare to places like Great Neck, Manhasset or Roslyn (LI) or to Short Hills, Summit or Millburn (NJ). All these areas have that WASP or Jewish concentration, the downtowns with the rail stations and shopping, the elite public/private schools, country clubs, etc.

Probably the difference is that there is just more wealth in the NYC area, so there are more concentrations of elite suburbs. I'm not exactly sure why one region developed more of a north/south income/demographic split, while the other is a bit more mixed up.

Also, in the NYC area, you tend to have more working class suburbs mixed in next to elite suburbs, instead of on the other side of the metro area. So you have Greenwich, CT, which is super elite, but also has housing projects and lots of immigrants. Or you have super wealthy Rye, NY, next to working class Port Chester. It's a bit more town-by-town, or even neighborhood-by-neighborhood.
I somewhat agree. However there are definitely working class communities on Chicago's North Shore -- Waukegan, Zion, North Chicago, for example.

One of Chicago's wealthiest suburbs (it could be argued, THE wealthiest) is Oak Brook, in the western suburbs. DuPage county in general is quite wealthy -- it's virtually tied with Lake County in per capita income and median household income.

Old 07-18-2013, 02:55 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,902,630 times
Well lets see how long this thread last before it is closed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City