Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Deep South Battle
Alabama 78 54.17%
Louisiana 75 52.08%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 04:34 PM

1,672 posts, read 2,861,668 times

Advertisements

Battle of two Deep South states

Cost of living
Jobs
Education (K-12 and Higher Ed)
State Government
Transportation
Metro Areas
Natural Enviroment
Culture
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 06:13 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,962,314 times
Ehhh flip a coin one has white trash and the other has more white trash. Louisiana has "New Awlins" which is better than any city Alabama has to offer. However Alabama's largest city Birmingham is only a couple of hours from Atlanta so that's a huge plus. New Orleans has a culture and environment that's like none other though which makes it slightly stand out over Alabama. I am an Alabama A&M fan though however. Hmmm like I said flip a coin.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:01 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,150,136 times
Louisiana, because New Orleans is one of my favorite cities!
Alabama definitely has better beaches, though.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:18 PM

367 posts, read 989,115 times
Cost of living: mmm probably tied

Jobs: L'etat de Louisiane or as Americans call it Louisiana due to the energy sector and Nawlins growth and tourism

Education (K-12 and Higher Ed) mmm Perhaps Alabama

State Government...mmm dont really hear much about Alabama gov't..meanwhile Louisiana has given us a few national politicians...Louisiana govt seemed concerned and kinda responsive during oil spill(2010) and Katrina

Transportation...Uhh who knows Busier airports in Louisiana ...New Orleans also has cruise ships river boats and Street car trolleys such an interesting combination,..hey but the road to Atlanta leads through Alabama

Metro Areas: mmm now this is where this gets interesting,..these states each have about 4million people Alabama has an interesting mix of small/mid size metros ..coastal Mobile underrated Huntsville Montgomery and than Birmingham yea Louisiana has Baton Rouge Shreveport etc but come on when you think of Louisiana you think of ONE city....winner Louisiana

Environment mmm Nice Gulf Beaches and some pretty rolling hills, or Rivers Bayous and Lakes that could flood at anytime...winner Alabama

Culture: Come on now im not gonna even answer this one

State for State they can go head to head ..but the sheer cultural power of N.O is overwhelming and in this case im afraid tooo overwhelming for a state like Alabama ....

WINNER----> L'etat de Louisiane (Louisiana)

#Alabama vs Louisina minus New Orleans....now that would be fair lol

Old 07-24-2013, 09:38 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,186,715 times
Louisiana will win this because of New Orleans which by most metrics is above anything in Alabama. Outside of New Orleans though, Louisiana is probably one of the worst states to live in. I would say the quality of life is simply better in Birmingham, Tuscaloosa, Huntsville, or Mobile than anywhere in Louisiana outside of New Orleans.

Old 07-24-2013, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveTime View Post

#Alabama vs Louisina minus New Orleans....now that would be fair lol
No it wouldn't. If Louisiana didn't have New Orleans, Alabama would win this hands down. Louisiana without New Orleans might as well be Mississippi.

Old 07-24-2013, 09:44 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,066,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ull2015 View Post
Louisiana for obvious reasons but Metro areas is interesting.

New Orleans vs Birmingham- Easily New Orleans
Baton Rouge vs. Montgomery- Baton Rouge
Lafayette vs Huntsville- Lafayette
Shreveport vs. Mobile- Mobile

Louisiana makes for a way more interesting and fun state to visit all around in my opinion. I'm from here though so.
Curious as to why you pick Lafayette over Huntsville?

Old 07-24-2013, 10:20 PM

23,314 posts, read 43,776,504 times
The whole thread is ignorant and dismissive.

Old 07-24-2013, 11:05 PM

16,505 posts, read 26,102,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Louisiana will win this because of New Orleans which by most metrics is above anything in Alabama. Outside of New Orleans though, Louisiana is probably one of the worst states to live in. I would say the quality of life is simply better in Birmingham, Tuscaloosa, Huntsville, or Mobile than anywhere in Louisiana outside of New Orleans.
Pfft, shows how much you know. Baton Rouge is better than any of Alabama cities besides Birmingham and probably similar to Huntville. Lafayette is better than any city in Alabama, or tied with Huntsville.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
No it wouldn't. If Louisiana didn't have New Orleans, Alabama would win this hands down. Louisiana without New Orleans might as well be Mississippi.
I don't think it would win hands down, depends on the person. We are absolutely NOTHING like Mississippi. Mississippi is just Bama without a large city.

Old 07-24-2013, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Pfft, shows how much you know. Baton Rouge is better than any of Alabama cities besides Birmingham and probably similar to Huntville. Lafayette is better than any city in Alabama, or tied with Huntsville.
I am not very familiar with Baton Rouge other than the fact LSU is located there. I do know its size puts it alongside cities like Little Rock, Jackson, Knoxville, Des Moines, and Wichita. Cities in that range can offer a great quality of life as long as you don't require a major city, but they usually don't have a lot of draw to bring people in from farther than the immediate surrounding areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City