Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you favor?
Raleigh-Durham 76 69.72%
Columbus 33 30.28%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 11:28 AM

8 posts, read 43,124 times

Advertisements

These cities are both growing cities, state capitals, college towns, etc. What are the pro's and cons of each city, public transportation, amenities, weather, entertainment, school/colleges, architecture, more progressive etc...?

Which would be a better starter city for someone who hasn't ever relocated?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 04:12 PM

383 posts, read 512,452 times
Columbus has a more centrally located downtown more urban and more infrastructure. Raleigh is more spread out, with more trees, closer to beaches, and mountains. The weather is better in Raleigh during the winter. I have been to Raleigh about 15 times and have enjoyed it, but I personally would not choose it over Columbus. Cbus is vastly underrated and is started to come out of the shadows as a mid size city. The downtown is the weakest part about the Cbus but that is starting to change and evolve with new developments downtown.

People claim that everyone in Cbus is a Buckeye fanatic but after living here for 8 years, I see it more as fanatic or casual fan. Columbus does have two pro sports teams, MLS, and Hockey which helps to elevate it more.

Overall Cbus seems a lot like Raleigh just in different setting.Midwest vs South. Traffic seemed worst in Raleigh because infrastructure was not built up up yet. Cbus has lots of roads and highways and they are building even more.

Old 07-25-2013, 07:23 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,978,552 times
I chose Raleigh only because my family lives in Cbus and I've been there a 1000 times so it's just really nothing special to me. I would rather relocate to Raleigh if given the option of those two cities. The scenery is the same I mean both are very green, lots of trees, etc. I actually like Columbus's downtown though it's better than Phoenix's downtown where I live (which is a much much larger city than Columbus). The Short North is pretty cool and the Columbus Commons next to the capitol building always has something going on. The winters in Columbus aren't terrible but Raleigh has the better winter weather. Raleigh has North Carolina State University but Chapel Hill is the real college town not far from Raleigh with UNC. Of course Columbus has Ohio State with a lot of fans (myself included). Both are very progressive cities with decent economies. Both have a lot of jobs and have positive future outlooks. Columbus does need to clean up it's crime though it's a little off the chain I swear every time you turn on the news somebody got murdered. Public transportation in both suck. Cbus has COTA which is only beneficial if you live in Columbus city limits if you live in the burbs you can forget it. There's no light rail or anything it's definitely a car centric city. Not sure about Raleigh but I would assume you need a car 99.9% of the time. Both have the usual city amenities and entertainment but if you want true big city amenities either city isn't far at all from larger cities. A lot of comedians and artists do include Cbus and Raleigh on their tour list which is cool. Also Columbus has cool festivals every year like the rib fest in the summer, the jazz festival, and a couple other events. Columbus is boring though (imo) after a while and slow pace. It's 100% Midwest and proud of it. Being all the way in Arizona I do crave my White Castles and Donatos Pizza from time to time though haha...

Old 07-26-2013, 09:19 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,058,402 times
What is with all these Columbus vs... threads lately? Either Columbus has reached a point where people think it has become worthy of comparison to places they like... or they're just trying to find ways to bash it. Not sure.

Old 07-26-2013, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
What is with all these Columbus vs... threads lately? Either Columbus has reached a point where people think it has become worthy of comparison to places they like... or they're just trying to find ways to bash it. Not sure.
I assure you this thread wasn't created for bashing.. I'm genuinely interested in knowing about the city of Columbus

Old 07-26-2013, 02:37 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,894,149 times
The Progressive South vs The Progressive North. Id go with the progressive South

Old 07-26-2013, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
The Progressive South vs The Progressive North. Id go with the progressive South
Why is that?

Old 07-26-2013, 07:50 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,894,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanto1991 View Post
Why is that?
First off I love the south, and the fact that Raleigh is a progressive city in the south its like 2-1 IMO.

Old 07-27-2013, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
You live in Florida. What could you possibly know about being progressive?

Old 07-27-2013, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanto1991 View Post
I assure you this thread wasn't created for bashing.. I'm genuinely interested in knowing about the city of Columbus
The thing is, you're really not going to get a whole lot of unbiased views here. This is a Sun Belt forum. Even people who live in the Midwest on here seem to get the vapors over talk about the South. If you really want to know the differences of these cities, your best bet is to visit. Take food tours, walk neighborhoods, go to events, visit parks, meet people, etc. I could tell you just about anything you wanted to know about Columbus, just as I'm sure people will tell you about Raleigh, but it's better to see for yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City