Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 11:32 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,883,005 times

Advertisements

San Diego is not considered boring people. People need to leave this forum once in a while and get with reality not a buch of city nerds that just talk cities. Any city west of Pittsburgh and east of Oakland (remember, Miami is just east of Pittsburgh ).

People on the coast or in Chicago think any other city out there is just a giant boring group of people that happen to live near each other.

I already knew this, but after living on the east coast and being in the Northeast urban corridor for four years, this has been confirmed. People just don't know and honestly, they are missing out.

This sounds absurd, but people in Baltimore or Boston should have as much interest in visiting Kansas City or Minneapolis as those in Kansas City or Minneapolis have in visiting Baltimore or Boston.

But they don't and they don't. Why? Because they think they are boring places and would be a waste of time.

We often go to places in the big cities out here and think wow, this kinda sucks compared to back home. You can put the DC and Baltimore Zoo together and it would still suck compared to Omaha's or St Louis's zoo.

Just because something is in DC or NYC or Boston or San Francisco does not make it a great place or attraction or museum etc. Just because it cost twice as much to enter or just because there are always thousands of obnoxious foreign tourists that won't put down the cameras long enough to enjoy whatever they are trying to enjoy does not mean that you can't find similar cultural attractions in cities that only draw from a few hundred miles in the midwest, south and mountain west.

Once you have seen the major tourist attractions in NYC, Philly, DC etc like the Liberty Bell, Mall Museums and Rockefeller Center, you really don't have THAT much more more to do in Boston or Philly than you do in St Louis or Minneapolis. Honestly, I think there is less to do because cities in the midwest go out of their way to provide family and other types of regional attractions that you want to revisit while places like Philly or DC tend to not do as well with that. And what they do have tend to be more run down, more crowded and more expensive.

So all of them. Milwaukee, Indianapolis, Nashville, Charlotte, etc. Small metros like Little Rock and Omaha tend to also have more to do than people would ever imagine of a smaller metro. Kansas City because of its name and perceived location gets a terrible rap despite it having more to do than cities twice its size. St Louis and Minneapolis are very large metro areas with tons to do that people on the coast have simply no idea about.

In the end, there are not many "boring" cities. There are a few that are more boring for their size. OKC, Houston and Sacramento come to mind, but they still have plenty to do.

But I think the more middle of the country a city is, the more boring people tend to think the places are. Kansas City, St Louis, Minneapolis, Omaha (Omaha is smaller but offers a lot for its size) even Denver to some degree because people that do visit go straight to the mountains and rarely take in the city itself, not realizing that because those places are more remote, they tend to be even more self sustaining as far as things to do. The second tier of cities that people think are boring, but not as bad as those deep in flyover country are Cincinnati, Charlotte, Birmingham, etc.

Then you have cities that are overrated like Austin and Portland which are great cites, but in reality don't have as much to do as some of the "boring" places that nobody wants to visit.

Disclaimer. I have been to every single major and midsized metro(400k and up) in the USA at least a few times, most of them many more. They are all fun to visit and none are really "boring". Everybody should make an effort to visit as many cities as they can despite what they may think they do or don't offer. Most of the time such preconceived images are way off base.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 11:41 AM

632 posts, read 932,754 times
The contradiction in the title of this thread is hilarious.

Old 08-06-2013, 08:18 PM

188 posts, read 376,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
This sounds absurd, but people in Baltimore or Boston should have as much interest in visiting Kansas City or Minneapolis as those in Kansas City or Minneapolis have in visiting Baltimore or Boston.
I agree with KCMO. I've been to pretty much every metro in the top 30 with the exception of Seattle and there is just as much to do at home in St. Louis, if not more, than many cities that are advertised as worldwide tourist attractions. We just do a poorer job of advertising ourselves to potential visitors from the coasts.

Old 08-06-2013, 09:38 PM

507 posts, read 806,992 times
I would say Chicago, I think most people think It's boring, I certainly did, but I was surprised to find it was pretty cool city

Old 08-06-2013, 09:42 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,206,460 times
I agree that many seem to think Toronto is boring, but really it is not. I'd just say it isn't well known and very underrated. As for San Diego, it may get boring after LIVING here for several years and having done the tourist activities so often, but tourists LOVE it! The weather, scenery, beaches, attractions, food...the laid-back feel. But I think people on City-Data often confuse 'laid-back' with 'sleepy' or 'boring'.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:25 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,748,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Just because something is in DC or NYC or Boston or San Francisco does not make it a great place or attraction or museum etc. Just because it cost twice as much to enter or just because there are always thousands of obnoxious foreign tourists that won't put down the cameras long enough to enjoy whatever they are trying to enjoy does not mean that you can't find similar cultural attractions in cities that only draw from a few hundred miles in the midwest, south and mountain west.
THIS. A lot of Midwestern and Southern cities have incredible attractions that would be BIG deals nationally if they were located on the coasts (where more people pay attention), but are virtually ignored because of their locations. Sometimes I get really sick of seeing the hype for mediocre events/attractions in the national media just because they're in coastal cities while there is a lot cooler stuff going on in smaller cities. Take The Gates in Central Park, for example. If someone had hung a bunch of orange curtains up in a park in [insert Midwestern city here] it would've been laughed off, but since it's in NYC people are like "Oooooooohmygod it's soooooooo groundbreaking."

Old 08-07-2013, 04:36 AM

93,256 posts, read 123,898,066 times
It also will depend on what people like to do, but I don't think that areas of a decent size are "boring". A lot of times, even in smaller areas, people don't even know what is there or near them. So, it may even be a matter of how much knowledge of the area you have.

I will say that there are some newer family friendly offerings in or near the Bos-Wash corridor, but they may take an hour or so to get to from the cities.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 08-07-2013 at 05:42 AM..

Old 08-07-2013, 05:16 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,966,855 times
I would agree with Providence.

I would add to that St. Louis. Too many vibrant neighborhoods to mention to give a unique experience outside of a very mediocre downtown. Don't forget about free museums.

Chicago and boring never is used in the same sentence but when you go to Chicago, experience some of the neighborhoods outside of downtown!

Old 08-07-2013, 08:38 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,771,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn10am View Post
A lot of Midwestern and Southern cities have incredible attractions that would be BIG deals nationally if they were located on the coasts
I'm not sure I buy this. Can you name a few that you are thinking of that are not well known but would be if located on the coasts? I think some would get more recognition on the coasts, but I'm not sure if would be that significantly different.

Old 08-07-2013, 10:52 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,989,552 times
DC. First glance theres nothing fun about museums and memorials and books and bookshelves and papers and lamps and etc.

Thats at first glance, after going to DC and standing inches away from the documents that liberated the colonies from Britains rule was cool. To see the names of those that fought for this nation till the very end on a memorial was cool. Etc. Fun in its own way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City