U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2013, 11:50 PM

1,462 posts, read 1,504,666 times

Advertisements

I agree with above. Before I spent time in DC all I pictured was the museums and the memorials and how that isn't my [main] cup of tea (even as prideful a American). Don't get me wrong, I knowingly admit that I am in the minority in that respect. But when actually there, those things become quite entertaining (in the most powerful all encompassing sense). I compare it to when I visited Paris when i was 13. I hated it so much, getting dragged to museum after museum by my family. I was not at an age or maturity to appreciate those things.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 07:17 AM

6,108 posts, read 6,199,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoCo freak View Post
Memphis, OMAHA, Kansas City, Charlotte, Phoenix to name a few.

I have been to plenty of small cities that were actually pretty fun. I recently visited Rapid City and it was a fun little city. Kinda like a miniature Denver, even more-so with the 'mountain' backdrop. There are plenty of things to do around the area that last for 2-4 days depending on how you manage your time there.
If a person likes the outdoors, there's enough in the Rapid City/Black Hills area to keep them busy for a lot longer than 4 days. Rapid City has really been revitalizing it's downtown area since I've been here (about two and a half years). It seems like there is always some sort of festival or event going on down there, especially in the summer. It's a nice place to visit and live.

Old 08-09-2013, 01:32 AM

6,212 posts, read 7,033,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
I'm not sure I buy this. Can you name a few that you are thinking of that are not well known but would be if located on the coasts? I think some would get more recognition on the coasts, but I'm not sure if would be that significantly different.
Me neither. I know they probably might offer some, but I don't think they should get too trigger-happy lol.

Old 08-11-2013, 09:20 AM

189 posts, read 293,166 times
Quote:
I'm not sure I buy this. Can you name a few that you are thinking of that are not well known but would be if located on the coasts? I think some would get more recognition on the coasts, but I'm not sure if would be that significantly different.
Just from the St. Louis area:

1) St. Louis Zoo. - A top 3 zoo that is absolutely free. (I found myself pissed that the san diego zoo cost $50 when it was basically the same thing when I visited). This is a zoo that you can come in and jog through every day - and people do.
2) Cahokia Mounds - The remains of the largest city in north america before columbus. There are freaking pyramids there and nobody seems to care or remember
3) Forest Park - the largest city park in the country with way more landscaping and unique architecture than central park or balboa park
4) The MUNY - the largest outdoor theater in the country with broadway musicals playing every night during the summer. There are even thousands of free seats for anybody to come in and watch.

Finally: The Arch, its the largest man made monument in the US. The buildings of downtown St. Louis are not tiny. They only look tiny in the pictures because you have the fit the arch in too.

Even I didn't know about these things before moving to St. Louis but they blew my mind when I found out they existed.

Old 08-11-2013, 12:55 PM

2,332 posts, read 2,882,504 times
Quote:
For Minneapolis:

Minnehaha Falls Park - Recently written up as one of the top urban parks in the world (along with Forest Park in St Louis, Central Park in NY and Stanley Park in Vancouver). It has a big waterfall and a forested ravine in the middle of the city.

The Chain of Lakes parks - There is a chain of lakes that runs through the heart of Minneapolis and abuts some of its' most urban neighborhoods.

The Minneapolis Institute of Arts - It is one of the top second tier art museums in the country. Works by great masters. One of the best collections of Chinese art outside of Asia. It is also free.

The Walker Art Center - One of the top five venues for new artists in the country.

The Guthrie Theater - The top regional theater organization in the US outside of New York or LA.

First Avenue and Triple Rock nightclubs - Minneapolis has a lot of underground/bohemian style nightlife, these are the two largest venues. First Avenue is where Purple Rain was shot and is one of the most storied old school clubs in the US, it is the Midwestern version of the Fillmore.

High quality fine dining at relatively low prices - visiting foodies often comment on how good the food is here and how cheap it is compared to comparable restaurants on the coasts. There are restaurants run by James Beard award nominees that have $15 entrees and $40 tasting menus. Also some of the best Vietnamese food in the country.

The best urban biking infrastructure in the country with the possible exception of Portland.

Last edited by Drewcifer; 08-11-2013 at 01:05 PM..

Old 08-11-2013, 01:21 PM

2,332 posts, read 2,882,504 times
I think in general it is the people that make the city. In a lot of American cities normal life consists of working and then going home, drinking beer and watching the game. Those people are boring, and cities with a lot of those people are boring. To be honest you find a lot of those people on the east coast. One of the things that attracted me to Minneapolis in the first place is that it is largely a city of doers, rather than a city of spectators. Most people seem to have a thing that they do besides work (at least in the city); it might be playing in a band, or painting, or DJing, doing taxidermy of squirrels and dressing them up like French Napoleonic officers, etc.

I would rather hang out with some small town farmer who is obsessed with breeding the perfect goat than a suburban Long Island office drone who is obsessed with football and baseball.

Old 08-11-2013, 01:48 PM

1,993 posts, read 2,924,285 times
Whoever considers San Diego boring, I'd be willing to bet they've never been there... Hard to be bored in SD.

I think a lot of people underestimate Washington, DC. They think of all suits, government and museums but don't equate it to "fun..." But DC is VERY fun!!! There's a LOT going on there ALL THE TIME

Old 08-11-2013, 02:07 PM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 9,852,085 times
Maybe Milwaukee? I didn't really check out the bulk of the city, but it has a great downtown area IMO.

Old 08-12-2013, 10:24 AM

1,870 posts, read 1,236,448 times
Still not at all convinced that the midwest attractions would be considered a big deal on the coasts, excluding the St. louis arch which, already has national recognition. Every city on the coasts of any size already has great parks, museums, zoos, , outdoor theater and concert venues, nightclubs, great restaurants etc. Maybe not indian mounds, I can't imagine they would get more recognition on the coasts. Saying your art galleries, etc are "top 5" or one of the best, is just purely subjective, and hundreds of cities constantly claim that. All of them have works by old masters.

Old 08-12-2013, 10:45 AM

1,314 posts, read 1,644,299 times
Quote:
Still not at all convinced that the midwest attractions would be considered a big deal on the coasts, excluding the St. louis arch which, already has national recognition. Every city on the coasts of any size already has great parks, museums, zoos, , outdoor theater and concert venues, nightclubs, great restaurants etc. Maybe not indian mounds, I can't imagine they would get more recognition on the coasts. Saying your art galleries, etc are "top 5" or one of the best, is just purely subjective, and hundreds of cities constantly claim that. All of them have works by old masters.
Milwaukee hosts the world's largest music festival (Summerfest) every year, and I doubt it has any sort of profile beyond Wisconsin/Chicagoland. If the world's largest music festival were located in NYC/Boston, you can guarantee it would be a big deal with national (and international) recognition. This is just a local example, one of many out there I'm sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City