Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Seattle vs Portland
Seattle 46 73.02%
Portland 17 26.98%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 10:54 PM

1,370 posts, read 3,052,100 times

Advertisements

Aesthetics- I like the big-small town feel of Portland more, though Seattle still has that in a few neighbourhoods.
Dining Options- Both have great restaurants, though I'd say Seattle due to it being larger and thus having more variety.
Quality of downtown- Portland's downtown is small and compact, and not far from smaller, older style buildings. Seattle's downtown is almost like a slice of Manhattan, and is very modern and bustling.
Cultural amenities (theaters, museums, etc)- They both have good quality in those departments, but Seattle will obviously have more in quantity.
Nightlife- Many people find both cities to be quiet for their size, but if you know how and where to look, your bound to have a good time in either city.
People- Portland people are friendlier in my opinion, but that may just be because I'm from there.
Location- Seattle wins on this one, due to it being right on the sound, close to tall mountains, and many more dramatic views in general. Portland also has a great area too, but not as much variety.

Of course, I love Portland because it's my hometown, but Seattle is better if you want a more urban experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 12:36 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,244,959 times
Portland - more funky and organic. I've heard Seattle has become quite a corporate city. Seattle is still way cool and I envy people who live in Seattle, but given the choice between these two I would choose Portland. Lower COL in Portland as well.

Old 07-30-2013, 01:50 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,458,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Portland - more funky and organic. I've heard Seattle has become quite a corporate city. Seattle is still way cool and I envy people who live in Seattle, but given the choice between these two I would choose Portland. Lower COL in Portland as well.
Seattle is Definitely become a corporate town, which is honestly good for the area as Seattle Grows. The Seattle culture has died alittle bit with High Rise condos, Clubs, and skyscrapers now dominating the Downtown core but it still does exist. The vibe of Seattle is "refreshing" in away. A like to character of Portland though. I hope they ever try to Become like Seattle. I imagine Portland in 50 years more dense but with low level to mid rise condos and apartments. Cafe and Bar culture, with art lining the streets. Almost a European feel to the city with the "weird" unique vibe of Portland, just more crowded.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:00 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
I think this is a pretty accurate poll reflecting those who know the two cities best. It is not to take away from either but it is an honest assessment of the OP's criteria.

Actually, it is probably not really quite fair to compare the two. It's kind of like comparing a tiger to a pussycat.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:50 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
Ability to keep their NBA team and not lose it to Oklahoma because of a lack of fan support...Portland.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:13 PM

1,108 posts, read 2,285,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Ability to keep their NBA team and not lose it to Oklahoma because of a lack of fan support...Portland.
Lack of fan support had ZERO to do with it. Look it up or watch SonicsGate.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
It's time for you to get educated on the Seattle vs Clay Bennett case.....

Old 07-30-2013, 11:08 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,108,060 times
There is enough blame to go around. Seattle / Washington certainly didn't do itself any favors (but I agree with the legislature.. but why they can't find front end fully funded private financing like the Bay Area teams are doing I'm not sure though).

Sonicsgate is an entertaining story that successfully did what it set out to do, but hardly relevant to the reality.

Two of my favorite articles on the Sonics end times:

Why the Sonics Left, and the Kings are Staying - Sactown Royalty

Local News | Why Seattle is losing the Sonics and Storm in 10 easy steps | Seattle Times Newspaper

Old 07-30-2013, 11:21 PM

5,976 posts, read 13,112,439 times
Slight edge to Seattle I think. In terms of natural features close by, I think the Washington Cascades (Rainier, North Cascades) are a bit more stunning, as well as the Olympic rainforest of the peninsula compared to Portland/Oregons equivalent. Of course both are amazing in terms of nature. Portland might have better access to produce/local wines, as the Willamette valley is a bigger "breadbasket" than Seattle/Tacomas surroundings.

And obviously being bigger with more amenities, etc. Portlands popularity seems to have popped out of nowhere in recent years.

Old 07-30-2013, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteIrishRebel View Post
There is enough blame to go around. Seattle / Washington certainly didn't do itself any favors (but I agree with the legislature.. but why they can't find front end fully funded private financing like the Bay Area teams are doing I'm not sure though).

Sonicsgate is an entertaining story that successfully did what it set out to do, but hardly relevant to the reality.

Two of my favorite articles on the Sonics end times:

Why the Sonics Left, and the Kings are Staying - Sactown Royalty

Local News | Why Seattle is losing the Sonics and Storm in 10 easy steps | Seattle Times Newspaper
You must not be from Seattle are you? Private investors or anyone doesn't want to pay for a Stadium or Arena here. Land cost to much, so many hurdles, and at the end your spending over 500 Million for an arena. that doesn't sound like a smart invest meant if I were them unless they just were so passionate they didn't care. Limit space to build here and we want to arena near the city center (It was propose in the SoDo area). The city leaders sold us out and let Bennett walk out of the Arena lease. The is a city that has taken decades to built a few miles worth of light rail. A 3 mile extension of light rail from Downtown to the University District is costing 1.5 Billion dollars! Yes billion! When the NBA bullies us to build a new arena we said no, just remodeled the Key and Built Quest Field (Now C-Link) and SafeCo Field. We were tired of spending money. But it had nothing to do with Fan support. Remember this is the city the cause the earth to shake as our NFL team with a losing record made the playoffs while you look a the Milwaukee Bucks who cant even sellout during playoffs. It's just sad how Seattle got pushed around and makes me angry. To this day I still have a Rashard Lewis and Ray Allen Bobble Head on my Desk, a Gary Payton plaque on my wall, a 1995/1996 Sonics Logo flag and a 2001 Sonics roster poster on my wall. My Childhood was ripped from me. Sorry for the rant
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City