U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who has the best infill redevelopment?
NYC 8 12.90%
LA 7 11.29%
Chicago 5 8.06%
DFW/Fort Worth 2 3.23%
Houston 6 9.68%
Philly 3 4.84%
DC 9 14.52%
Miami 2 3.23%
Atlanta 14 22.58%
Boston 1 1.61%
San Francisco/Bay Area 5 8.06%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 10:40 AM

9,086 posts, read 12,924,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Miami already has more infill than mos Southern cities. Miami is more in gentrification mode than anything. Neighborhoods like Brownsville r getting face-lifts with new transit, but other than that, how do you infill places like Little Havana.
Is Liberty City any better these days?Just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 12:26 PM

10,087 posts, read 12,645,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Miami already has more infill than mos Southern cities. Miami is more in gentrification mode than anything. Neighborhoods like Brownsville r getting face-lifts with new transit, but other than that, how do you infill places like Little Havana.
Build on parking lots, empty lots. There are not a lot, but they exist.

Also, take buildings such as this: http://goo.gl/maps/HNiXU

And replace them with something like this: http://goo.gl/maps/sjCGk

Old 08-08-2013, 09:17 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,786 posts, read 39,970,687 times
Here's a spot in the South Bronx:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Melro...61.88,,0,-8.41

on the other side, greenfield.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Melro...,25.33,,0,-1.2

left, new building. One of the worse areas of the city, hit hard by 70s arson. But the real NYC style of infill is Fedders buildings.

http://queenscrap.blogspot.com/2013/...l-fedders.html

Old 08-09-2013, 03:39 PM

9,618 posts, read 10,989,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakal View Post
Which of the largest metro areas is going the best route on how brownfields and other available open space WITHIN their central city(s) are being redeveloped?

Is the opportunity to create new architecture and density being used well? Or is it tacky, suburban style strip mall hell?

Feel free to post links/credited photos to show how your city is doing it, in addition to those listed here.

I don't even know if you can call what is happening in D.C. infill. It's practically ground up city redevelopment. Yes, it's happening in the city so it's technically infill, but there is just so much new construction going on in such a concentrated area it looks like we are building a new city. It really is a little over the top honestly. I know Houston is also building a lot although Houston being 600 miles, I don't know how concentrated it is.

Old 08-10-2013, 09:39 AM

15,989 posts, read 29,930,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Dallas and Fort Worth should be split up in this.

But it's hard for me to choose between DC and Houston. I like what both cities are doing.
Have you been to both cities??? Houston is still doing everything wrong lol

DC wins. I was just in DC recently and loved what's going on there.

I'm really loving what's going on in Atlanta for what I've heard thus far. I'll be going out there this Christmas for the first time.

Old 08-10-2013, 12:16 PM

18,271 posts, read 26,079,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
Have you been to both cities??? Houston is still doing everything wrong lol

DC wins. I was just in DC recently and loved what's going on there.

I'm really loving what's going on in Atlanta for what I've heard thus far. I'll be going out there this Christmas for the first time.
I wouldn't say Houton is doing everything wrong. I like the increased density. But developers are still adding a suburban bit to the development. Look at the apartments, still narrow sidewalks with objects in the middle of them. Townhomes are great but some have little to no sidewalks. They still build around the car the reason why I say I couldn't pick is because Houston is more diverse in their infill than DC. Both are building lots of midrises apartments. Houston building more townhomes and dense single family homes though i hate the ones thatvhave garages in the front with narrow sidewalks. DC's new single family homes are meh at best. But DC is very walkable than Houston.

Old 08-10-2013, 12:54 PM

15,989 posts, read 29,930,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I wouldn't say Houton is doing everything wrong. I like the increased density. But developers are still adding a suburban bit to the development. Look at the apartments, still narrow sidewalks with objects in the middle of them. Townhomes are great but some have little to no sidewalks. They still build around the car the reason why I say I couldn't pick is because Houston is more diverse in their infill than DC. Both are building lots of midrises apartments. Houston building more townhomes and dense single family homes though i hate the ones thatvhave garages in the front with narrow sidewalks. DC's new single family homes are meh at best. But DC is very walkable than Houston.
And that's what I hate. All those gated townhouse blocks, small sidewalks, lack of street level retail or storefronts and more.

Old 08-10-2013, 06:18 PM

14,035 posts, read 22,078,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Is Liberty City any better these days?Just curious.
Somewhat. New Homes, New Projects, New transit stations.

Old 08-10-2013, 07:30 PM

6,797 posts, read 6,643,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
And that's what I hate. All those gated townhouse blocks, small sidewalks, lack of street level retail or storefronts and more.
Exactly which is why I didn't consider Houston. I check the development thread on another website occasionally for Houston to see what type of projects is going on there. They have more development than Atlanta, but at the same time, much of the development is still rather suburban like with no retail at the bottom. I just feel like when I compare projects, Atlanta is doing more to be more mixed use.

Like Midtown Houston is semi-dense, but the neighborhood is not very mixed used as of right now. It's apartment buildings with no retail at the bottom. Houston just does not have a neighborhood like Midtown Atlanta and I think our heavy rail has a lot to do with that.

Old 08-10-2013, 08:23 PM

18,271 posts, read 26,079,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Exactly which is why I didn't consider Houston. I check the development thread on another website occasionally for Houston to see what type of projects is going on there. They have more development than Atlanta, but at the same time, much of the development is still rather suburban like with no retail at the bottom. I just feel like when I compare projects, Atlanta is doing more to be more mixed use.

Like Midtown Houston is semi-dense, but the neighborhood is not very mixed used as of right now. It's apartment buildings with no retail at the bottom. Houston just does not have a neighborhood like Midtown Atlanta and I think our heavy rail has a lot to do with that.
To be fair. Midtown Houston just literally began to develop. There's a new park, arts center, and more apartments going up. There was no midtown from what I believe 10 years ago. As far a mixed use, it's a common complaint from many people on these developments from Houstonians. So who to blame on this? The city or the developer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City