Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2011, 06:38 PM

940 posts, read 2,017,648 times

Advertisements

yeah but NYC is generally regarded as more diverse (even though much lower on this ranking) because in a global "cosmopolitan" context nationality and ethnicity are much more important than race.

Although SF, Houston and LA are more racially diverse than NYC--i.e. two people at random are more likely to be of different races--they are also far more likely to be of the same nationality or ethnicity than in NYC.

The big california cities (SF bay and LA) do the best at offering both racial and ethnic/national diversity. Houston's close behind.

Old 04-08-2011, 12:24 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,768,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dweebo2220 View Post
yeah but NYC is generally regarded as more diverse (even though much lower on this ranking) because in a global "cosmopolitan" context nationality and ethnicity are much more important than race.

Although SF, Houston and LA are more racially diverse than NYC--i.e. two people at random are more likely to be of different races--they are also far more likely to be of the same nationality or ethnicity than in NYC.

The big california cities (SF bay and LA) do the best at offering both racial and ethnic/national diversity. Houston's close behind.
Yeah, that is the thing, these cities are very diverse racially but are not slouches in the ethnicity department either, so making a list and saying the criteria is diversity and leaving any of them behind would not be right

Old 04-09-2011, 12:51 PM

9,333 posts, read 9,191,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by durf View Post
Note: if San Jose is not on the list, then Philly doesn't deserve to be on the list. Philly is not any more cosmopolitan or important than SJ. They're very similar, only Philly is old, and SJ is new.

ive seen you bashing philly on many threads, whats the problem?

Old 04-10-2011, 12:17 PM

1,092 posts, read 2,163,635 times
cpomp, I'm only doing it because they made Philly out to be one of the best or the best city in the country. Just setting the record straight. It's very interesting that you brought this up. I bash the heck out of Phoenix for having a horrible and dead downtown, and not one blogger fought me or awknoledge my post. I guess there's no fighting spirit in Phoenix since it's left for dead and a lost cause. Philly is not bad and is alive with fighting spirits. Philaphians should be happy with that and proud of their city that's not bad like Phoenix where nobody cares. They just say, "yeah, we need this". "We don't have a skyline", to each other and not noticing my criticism of their city. It's either they're smart or just gave up on their city. Count your blessing, Philadelphia, it could be worst, like Phoenix, Ariz.

Old 04-10-2011, 12:25 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,698,585 times
Quote:
cpomp, I'm only doing it because they made Philly out to be one of the best or the best city in the country. Just setting the record straight. It's very interesting that you brought this up. I bash the heck out of Phoenix for having a horrible and dead downtown, and not one blogger fought me or awknoledge my post. I guess there's no fighting spirit in Phoenix since it's left for dead and a lost cause. Philly is not bad and is alive with fighting spirits. Philaphians should be happy with that and proud of their city that's not bad like Phoenix where nobody cares. They just say, "yeah, we need this". "We don't have a skyline", to each other and not noticing my criticism of their city. It's either they're smart or just gave up on their city. Count your blessing, Philadelphia, it could be worst, like Phoenix, Ariz.
You can't go one post, without using the name Philly. Your obsessed. It's ok you'll be alright.

Old 04-10-2011, 08:11 PM

Quote:

You are very rude, i never bash any posts on here unless they are completely not true and what youve been posting is bull and im sticking up for Philadelphia and the truth, and im proud of Philly, its old and has grit but it holds on and has so much to offer and you are just a rude person who is pissed off with their life and likes to hate on others.

Old 04-10-2011, 08:22 PM

769 posts, read 1,723,658 times
NYC
Chicago
LA
SF
DC
Miami
Houston
Atlanta
Boston
Seattle

Old 04-12-2011, 03:08 AM

cpomp, no, Philly is depressing and rough. It's dirty and its people are so right about their city and have every right to be depressed. I would if I were to live there. I might not be around to blog, maybe. Just listen to other people. that's all. The main thing is in no way cosmopolitan at all! The city is 2 tier or 3rd tier at best with it being the capital of nothing except for, maybe smokestack. It's not even worth defend this little gray and smokey city.

Old 04-12-2011, 03:10 AM

Correction #958: not worth defending this little gray and smokey city. My finger gets ahead of itself sometimes.

Old 04-13-2011, 07:06 AM

It is not a second or third tier city. I get personally offended when you make comments like that. You make it seem like it is a ghost town with that is boarded up and everyone left. That is not the case at all. You have also made comments about the suburbs too, which is completely not true, and if youve ever been to the philly suburbs you wouldnt make such a comment. Philadelphia has class, and culture and history too it. I never said it didnt have problems, yes it has a long way to go, but i think in the next 10- 20 years Philly is really going to make a name for itself. Just compare the city now to 20 years ago. Center city did go from a seedy area to now becoming a world class area. Condos going up left and right during the early 2000s, new restaurants, new stores, the closing of adult movie theators, Drexel and Penn and Temple expanding their campuses turning bad areas into a new revamped campus life. There is hope and the city is trying, and you will be suprised to see what Philadelphia can do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City