U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 07:51 AM

149 posts, read 24,146 times
Default 10 most cosmopolitan cities

This of course will be subjective but, in my opinion, the ten most cosmopolitan (worldy) and cultured cities are:

1. New York City
2. Chicago
3. Los Angeles
4. DC
5. Philadelphia
6. Boston
7. Dallas
8. SF
9. Atlanta
10. Houston

What do you think?

Old 11-11-2007, 07:54 AM

3,923 posts, read 8,359,839 times
Maybe SF was just an oversight on your part but thats probably #4 and imo you have to bump Boston and Philly ahead of Dallas.

Old 11-11-2007, 08:08 AM

4,178 posts, read 9,040,052 times
Cosmopolitan:1. Pertinent or common to the whole world: an issue of cosmopolitan import.
2. Having constituent elements from all over the world or from many different parts of the world: the ancient and cosmopolitan societies of Syria and Egypt.
3. So sophisticated as to be at home in all parts of the world or conversant with many spheres of interest: a cosmopolitan traveler.
4. Ecology Growing or occurring in many parts of the world; widely distributed

Sorry, with those definitions, I would rule out both Houston and Dallas. I don't see them as that cosmopolitan. I would probably substitute them for Seattle, Baltimore, Miami, possibly New Orleans.

Old 11-11-2007, 08:12 AM

Having thought about it, my list would be:
1. NYC
2. DC
3. San Fran
4. LA
5. Chicago
6. Philadelphia
7. Boston
8. Seattle
9. Baltimore
10. Atlanta or New Orleans

Old 11-11-2007, 08:13 AM

Have you ever been to Dallas or Houston, or are you simply prejudging them based on their southernly location? I live in Dallas and can say that it is an extremely cosmopolitan and sophisticated city.

Dallas is the third fashion capital of the US, behind New York and Los Angeles. Dallas also has more upscale shopping and restaurants per capita than any other US city, including New York City.

Furthermore, Dallas and Houston are both ranked as Gamma world cities, a distinction that Seattle, Baltimore, Miami, and New Orleans do not share.

Old 11-11-2007, 08:14 AM

Ummm New Orleans???? Are you kidding me.

Old 11-11-2007, 08:19 AM

Well yes, I have been to both numerous times. And... I am not criticizing them. You asked for opinions and I gave mine. Upscale shopping and restaurants are everywhere. I said possibly New Orleans so you may have a point there. I have not been to New Orleans since Katrina but pre-Katrina it did have a worldly-feel to it. So you may be right there.

Old 11-11-2007, 10:03 AM

26,216 posts, read 45,870,912 times
Where's Scranton, PA on that list?! LOL! Just kidding of course---we might be ranked down around 650 or so. LOL!

Having never been to many major cities in the U.S., my list is entirely based upon what I've researched and may very well be up for criticism (just don't be too mean!)

1.) New York City
2.) Washington, DC
3.) Chicago
4.) San Francisco
5.) Philadelphia
6.) Seattle
7.) Boston
8.) Dallas
9.) Minneapolis
10.) Los Angeles

I know most would rank L.A. as being much higher on the list, but I just don't get a very cultural or intellectually-enriched "vibe" out of Los Angeles in the same manner that I do from cities like Boston, Minneapolis, or Seattle. Originally I wasn't going to even include Dallas on the top ten list in favor of having Denver take its place, but F355 does make a very good case for its importance. Minneapolis, while small, is consistently ranked as amongst the most liberal, literate, and well-cultured cities in the nation, which gives it a boost. Pittsburgh, similarly, would rank somewhere between my 11-20 as well, even though it is smaller than, per se, Phoenix, which seems to have fewer cultural offerings.

Old 11-11-2007, 10:10 AM

3,030 posts, read 5,620,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
Sorry, with those definitions, I would rule out both Houston and Dallas. I don't see them as that cosmopolitan. I would probably substitute them for Seattle, Baltimore, Miami, possibly New Orleans.
Seattle is still backwoods especially when all the cosmopolitan things in the West are all in California. Baltimore is in the shadow of D.C. and Miami is in a third world country. New Orleans is really not that good.

The list:
1. New York City
2. Chicago
3. Los Angeles
4. DC
5. Philadelphia
6. Boston
7. Dallas
8. SF
9. Atlanta
10. Houston

I would move SF to #5, Houston #8, Dallas #9, and Atlanta #10.

Old 11-11-2007, 10:26 AM

480 posts, read 1,566,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Seattle is still backwoods especially when all the cosmopolitan things in the West are all in California. Baltimore is in the shadow of D.C. and Miami is in a third world country. New Orleans is really not that good.
No offense, dude, but there is more international port traffic coming through Seattle than most parts of the country: Seattle is #5 in port traffic. What does that mean? That means that lots of businesses -- around the world -- have Seattle on the map for international trade of goods and services. (The likelihood that your Made In China good came through the Emerald City is very good.) Seattle's business climate is one of the most integrated and thoroughly world-class climates in North America, and is most definitely highly relevant worldwide.

And with all due respect, if you check U-Haul for traffic to and from cities, more people are leaving CA cities than coming in. The cost of living (and, consequently, doing business) is so high in CA that many people are packing their bags and getting out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City