U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 07:02 PM

4 posts, read 30,242 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm looking to relocate from Boston to either Dallas or Phoenix. I'm currently interviewing for jobs in both cities but am having a difficult time deciding which one I'd prefer. (I haven't spent much time in either place). As a result, I'd very much appreciate any thoughts and insights from people who are familiar with one or both cities.

From a purely financial and career advancement standpoint, the job I'm currently interviewing for in Dallas offers the better opportunity (although the discrepancy isn't huge). I'm interested in other factors, though, including:

Weather/climate
Cost of living
Overall pace and quality of life (which I know is an intangible and subjective consideration).

I should note that I do not have children (and will not in the future), so factors such as the quality of the school system, which city is more "family friendly," etc. are non-issues for me.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 07:48 PM

4,184 posts, read 11,567,918 times
sorry to be utterly unhelpful, but have you read thru the many threads here in the forum that answer all your concerns?....you'll get all kinds of opinions.....thanks

Old 07-29-2013, 08:07 PM

Most of the threads I found on the Dallas v Phoenix topic were several years old and their discussion of economics, cost of living, etc. were heavily colored by the financial/housing crisis. It wasn't necessarily clear to me how much of what they contain is still true or relevant.

Other threads on the topic contained a lot of discussion about the relative merits of the school systems, best environment for raising a family, etc., which are of no relevance to me.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:13 PM

1,832 posts, read 4,889,804 times
There is a city vs city subforum for these type of questions.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:14 PM

922 posts, read 1,253,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BT3739 View Post
Most of the threads I found on the Dallas v Phoenix topic were several years old and their discussion of economics, cost of living, etc. were heavily colored by the financial/housing crisis. It wasn't necessarily clear to me how much of what they contain is still true or relevant.

Other threads on the topic contained a lot of discussion about the relative merits of the school systems, best environment for raising a family, etc., which are of no relevance to me.
I would suggest researching the cities separately and then drawing conclusions from there. tons of threads that should be able to answer any question you might have. to come here and ask "Which place is better" followed by such limited information is futile. research a bit, come back with more specifics and I'm sure people will be more than willing to help.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:06 PM

1,489 posts, read 1,846,316 times
Put it in the city vs city thread. Unfortunately I have a feeling that the Texas forummers will overwhelm your thread and give you a very unbalanced and skewed perception based off of what little, if any, they know about Phoenix. Before this thread gets shut down or moved, I'll address some questions based on my own opinion:

Weather - Dallas has significantly colder winters than Phoenix. The temperatures are a lot less consistent than Phoenix. One day it could be 75 and humid and two days later it could be 30 degrees with freezing rain. Summers are "cooler" in Dallas, but Dallas can still experience weeks upon weeks at 100 degrees +. Summers in Dallas are more humid than Phoenix, not as humid as Houston, Atlanta, or Miami, but still not desert dry. Late spring in North Texas can be extremely violent with tornadoes, hailstorms, and severe thunderstorms.

Cost of living - Unsure of current state. Both housing markets are known for being very affordable.

Overall pace - Dallas has a more cosmopolitan feel about it. It has a more established downtown, more established and traditional neighborhoods, more pedestrian activity, better business climate, more ethnic diversity, just as much shopping as Phoenix, a number of well respected colleges and universities, numerous restaurant options, etc.

Phoenix has substantially less traffic, more recreational opportunities, is closer to a variety of getaways, and is a lot more laid back.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:20 PM

9,042 posts, read 17,301,151 times
Think of how you will spend your weekends and free time. If city life is important to you with a more diverse range of cosmopolitan and urban amenities then go with Dallas. If scenery, recreation, and interesting places to explore on the outskirts (Sedona, Grand Canyon, Flagstaff, SoCal) are important to you then definitely go with Phoenix.

Have you been to either city? Just remember neither city is going to offer the same kind of urban pulse that Boston offers. A poster had mentioned Dallas has more of a downtown, walkable neighborhoods, and pedestrian activity and while that is true when compared with Phoenix, when compared to Boston then not so much. They're both quintessentially sunbelt metros and very car orientated.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:32 PM

35 posts, read 40,174 times
We had this same choice recently and decided on Phoenix. There is no right nor wrong in this choice - just different.

There seemed to be more nice homes, at a slightly lower price, in the greater Dallas area, but the dry heat of Phoenix vs. the humidity of Dallas was one of the factors that made us select Phoenix. We prefer the less "citified" feel of laid back Phoenix to the more citified, urban-busy feel of Dallas. And the proximity to so many of the gorgeous Arizona and nearby areas won us over. Flagstaff in summer. Sedona. Grand Canyon. Las Vegas. Palm Springs. Lake Havasu. Tucson. And Phoenix metro area offers almost anything that one might desire, except ocean and a few other things. No place is perfect... just decide what's most important to you!

No right nor wrong here... we just wanted a more laid back desert feel and the drier heat and we know what the amazing weather is, from November to May, that the Scottsdale area offers. June to September is quite warm in the Phoenix area... but not at all a problem for us. Do you work outside? That could be an issue. But aside from physical labor outdoors, the heat in Phoenix during the summer months is no big deal at all.

Our choice was for a desert acre home in North Scottsdale... just a hop, skip from the Tonto National Forest for off roading (Sport Side-by-Side) and recreational shooting fun! And only about 20 minutes to awesome restaurants and shopping in Scottsdale, Cave Creek, Carefree, and Phoenix.

We found driving on the Dallas freeways to be close to blood sport. Driving around Phoenix is just so easy. Not really a bad choice either way... just a lot different.

Last edited by DHart; 07-29-2013 at 11:52 PM..

Old 07-30-2013, 01:57 PM

new2colo, caphillsea77, and DHart: Thanks to all three of you for taking the time to reply. Very helpful info-- exactly the kind of stuff I was interested in hearing about.

Old 07-30-2013, 04:41 PM

13,403 posts, read 20,277,910 times
I tend to agree with the consensus: if you like more urban/big city stuff (culture, diversity, food, etc.), go with Dallas. If outdoor activities are more of a priority (hiking, biking, road trips to beautiful places, etc.), go with Phoenix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City