U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 09:25 PM

1,960 posts, read 2,696,649 times

Advertisements

What 10 cities in America do you consider the standard of cities to visit for a traveler?

What I mean is, some people feel like, you can have backpacked your way all through Europe on a trek, visiting a different town every day for 2 years, but if you have not visited Paris at least once, then you still haven't done the basic/standard do first city... You still haven't "Done France" til you've done Paris, no matter what.

What are those 10 cities that you feel make up that list for America (MAINLAND America).

If you're curious why I ask, I have a friend in Italy who has a daughter who is planning to visit America for the first time with a few friends. She is going to have a large budget, and wants to go everywhere that there is to go on a 2 month trip. She will even fly across to the west coast. She WANTS to do it all somehow, and get the Eastcoast, Westcoast and everywhere that she can (or SHOULD) fit in, In between...

Obviously, she's already planning to visit NYC (she hasn't said how many days in each. I don't know any of that info. All she knows is that next spring, she wants to travel all across America and is asking me where are the first time around, MUST SEE places...

Off the top of my head, I told her:

1. New York City (The BIG city like she's never seen it)
2. Washington DC (Just cause it's the capital)
3. New Orleans (Unique southern city)
4. Las Vegas (EVERYBODY should experience Vegas, and her first time in a desert)
5. Los Angeles (it's Hollywood. Taste of SoCal)
6. Miami (Taste of Florida)
7. San Francisco (Unique. Taste of NoCal)
8. Seattle (Pacific NW)
9. Chicago (I guess to see a Great Lakes city)
10. Denver (Told her to get into the mountains, like drive to Vail, or Breckenridge)

How would you plan a trip for her to fit in everything that you feel is a MUST SEE?
What cities are on your "You haven't been anywhere til you've been here" cities?

Oh, she IS also planning to visit Atlanta at some point to see me...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 09:47 PM

138 posts, read 170,194 times
I agree with your picks on 8 out of 10. The only changes I would make is I would replace Denver with Boston. I also think Philadelphia should be somewhere on this list but I can't quite decide which city to replace it with. I guess it could replace Seattle. Seattle is just too far out of the way compared to the other choices.

I would start in Boston, take a train south to New York, then to Philadelphia, then Washington D.C.
Then fly to Miami and take a train to New Orleans.
Then Fly to Chicago
Then to Las Vegas, then train to Los Angeles, then to San Francisco.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:50 PM

10,793 posts, read 16,065,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasR30 View Post
I agree with your picks on 8 out of 10. The only changes I would make is I would replace Denver with Boston. I also think Philadelphia should be somewhere on this list but I can't quite decide which city to replace it with. I guess it could replace Seattle. Seattle is just too far out of the way compared to the other choices.

I would start in Boston, take a train south to New York, then to Philadelphia, then Washington D.C.
Then Fly to Chicago
A train to New Orleans from Miami is quite a haul. I'd probably fly between the two.

Old 07-29-2013, 10:04 PM

2,914 posts, read 3,165,543 times
Over to Seattle for a couple months so she can help me pay my rent and utilities with that healthy travel budget of hers!

But your list pretty much works. I'd probably consider trying to fit Boston, San Diego, and someplace in Hawaii in there.

Have her start with the northeast and take trains to get from city to city working her way down the coast. After that, fly to Cali and rent a car for LA/SD/Vegas fun and leisure. After that, fly up to SF. Then Fly up to Seattle followed by a visit to Vancouver. End the trip in Hawaii.

I'm biased towards America's coasts. Chi is great but isolated and you already get the city experience in NYC.

Old 07-30-2013, 12:23 AM

4,752 posts, read 5,259,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykomonkee View Post
Off the top of my head, I told her:

1. New York City (The BIG city like she's never seen it)
2. Washington DC (Just cause it's the capital)
3. New Orleans (Unique southern city)
4. Las Vegas (EVERYBODY should experience Vegas, and her first time in a desert)
5. Los Angeles (it's Hollywood. Taste of SoCal)
6. Miami (Taste of Florida)
7. San Francisco (Unique. Taste of NoCal)
8. Seattle (Pacific NW)
9. Chicago (I guess to see a Great Lakes city)
10. Denver (Told her to get into the mountains, like drive to Vail, or Breckenridge)

How would you plan a trip for her to fit in everything that you feel is a MUST SEE?
What cities are on your "You haven't been anywhere til you've been here" cities?

Oh, she IS also planning to visit Atlanta at some point to see me...
I like your list a lot. With two months I'd think she'd be able to hit 15-20 cities. Add Boston and Philly (might as well see all of the northeast since it's so easy and efficient and offers tons of US history) I don't think Miami is a "taste of Florida" but I'd still suggest it, with perhaps a quick run down to Key West. And Atlanta too (for the city...not just you ) If Chicago is isolated, they could also run across to Detroit. It really depends on their interests, but to me Detroit is such a unique case study on the rise and fall (and partial resurgence) of the American city and I was fascinated when I was there several months ago. Nashville might be unique and interesting too.

Since the Carolinas, Texas, Memphis, STL and KC have not been mentioned, there's a dearth of American BBQ. I'm not sure which is the best choice here though cause nothing stands head and shoulders above the rest as a must-see destination.

I'd also recommend national parks along the way, with the Grand Canyon or Yosemite headlining this list.

Quote:
No train. Ever since Katrina destroyed the railroad tracks east of New Orleans, it's been cut off from Florida. You'd have to go up to DC and then go across, which is obviously not advisable.

Old 07-30-2013, 12:25 AM

1,856 posts, read 2,250,124 times
Quote:

Then Fly to Chicago
Well Seattle is only too far out of the way if you live on the East coast. Not that far if you live west of the Mississippi!

Old 07-30-2013, 12:28 AM

7,945 posts, read 13,691,410 times
If I was going to do a nationwide road trip, I would do it like this.

1. NYC
2. Boston
3. Washington DC
4. Chicago
5. Seattle
6. Portland
7. San Francisco
8. Los Angeles
9. Las Vegas
10. New Orleans

Old 07-30-2013, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
A train to New Orleans from Miami is quite a haul. I'd probably fly between the two.
Y'all brought up an interesting point that I don't know if she's considered.
When she told me about her plans to go coast to coast, I assumed she would be flying from place to place.
But now that you've mentioned it, and her coming from Italy, she may be assuming that she can get around a lot by train. Personally, I would suggest her flying, but do you guys suggest she take the train from city to city?

Old 07-30-2013, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
Over to Seattle for a couple months so she can help me pay my rent and utilities with that healthy travel budget of hers!
Right! LOL... It's not "her" money though... She's lived a pretty priviledged life (don't tell her I said that )

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
I'm biased towards America's coasts. Chi is great but isolated and you already get the city experience in NYC.
What about the Southern coasts? Miami, New Orleans, Houston, etc...

Remember, she WILL be stopping in Atlanta at some point, so that must fit in, in there. I'm going to have the tough job of figuring out what to show her and where to take her in Atlanta so it's not a bore to her after having been to places like NYC, Vegas and so on...

Old 07-30-2013, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
If I was going to do a nationwide road trip, I would do it like this.

1. NYC
2. Boston
3. Washington DC
4. Chicago
5. Seattle
6. Portland
7. San Francisco
8. Los Angeles
9. Las Vegas
10. New Orleans
No Miami?
Why Portland when you have Seattle?
No Denver/Rockies?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City