Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City do you Prefer?
Bellevue 43 58.11%
Oakland 31 41.89%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 10:19 AM

36,637 posts, read 67,234,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Bellevue wins this in percentage of the population though.
Yes of course, Bellevue=Walnut Creek, but my point is plenty of people with the means to pick WC instead pick Oakland cause it's more their style, so the Oakland-is-nothing-but-gangs-and-murder crowd might want to reassess their opinion because there is far more than just that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 01:58 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,441,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
So while Oakland has more crime than Bellevue and Tacoma combined, it also trumps their combined sum in this far more swank comparison, which I use to further illustrate the notion that pigeonholing a place like Oakland is not really possible as lots of upwardly mobile and affluent people are choosing Oakland because there are actually lots of benefits to be had.

Latest 5-year estimate, factfinder2.census.gov

Houses Valued at $1,000,000+
Oakland, California 5,337
Bellevue, Washington 3,261
Tacoma, Washington 410

Who knew, right?

lol

No doubt there is an affluent population in Oakland but houses valued over 1 Million can mean alot. One is you got to realize you still in the bay area with is an expensive place to live. Also Oakland is 3 times the size of Bellevue so Bellevue would actually win this category. Houses over a million doesn't mean anything to me though, If you were compare Bellevue to a city in Texas that is an affluent city the numbers may be overwhelming pointed towards Bellevue but the Cost of Living in Texas is obviously significantly less.

Old 07-30-2013, 02:44 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,097,524 times
I like how you guys keep saying Oakland is 3 times the size as if he didn't already know, or as if that was even relevant to his points... I've noticed on this forum that many people can not follow the actual point of what is being said / shown..

Old 07-30-2013, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
Also Oakland is 3 times the size of Bellevue
Then why did you create this thread?

Quote:
so Bellevue would actually win this category.
Not really.

Oakland's contiguous mass of nice areas has a larger population than Bellevue and is wealthier on average than Bellevue which is hilarious to me considering people's perceptions in this thread.

#frufruOakland

lol

Old 07-30-2013, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteIrishRebel View Post
I like how you guys keep saying Oakland is 3 times the size as if he didn't already know, or as if that was even relevant to his points... I've noticed on this forum that many people can not follow the actual point of what is being said / shown..
Thanks.

I'm thinking that my points are so earth shattering to the nasty image they have in their minds regarding Oakland that they cant comprehend what Im saying. lol

Old 07-30-2013, 07:57 PM

29,919 posts, read 18,754,741 times
One correction on the stats I posted is that Oakland had 104 murders instead of 202 compared to Bellevue's 1 murder. To those pointing out positive stats on Oakland, good job and shows that there are good things in Oakland despite the negatives. But Bellevue is more comparable to Walnut Creek or Pleasanton except it has more of a city and jobs.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:04 PM

136 posts, read 243,448 times
I voted Bellevue but now that I think about it, I should have picked Oakland. Oakland is a real city that would survive on it's own without San Francisco. It is it's own city and nothing like San Francisco. Bellevue is really just Seattle overflow. I don't think it has it's own identity.

It someone from Oakland visits Australia and someone asks then where they are from, they can say Oakland and people will know what they are talking about. If someone is from Bellevue, they would probably tell people they are from the Seattle area.

Old 07-30-2013, 11:58 PM

1,108 posts, read 2,277,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasR30 View Post
I voted Bellevue but now that I think about it, I should have picked Oakland. Oakland is a real city that would survive on it's own without San Francisco. It is it's own city and nothing like San Francisco. Bellevue is really just Seattle overflow. I don't think it has it's own identity.

It someone from Oakland visits Australia and someone asks then where they are from, they can say Oakland and people will know what they are talking about. If someone is from Bellevue, they would probably tell people they are from the Seattle area.
Sort of - but Bellevue has a very different identity and feel than Seattle. Seattle overflow is not really accurate. Bellevue sees itself as Seattle's main competitor and has international aspirations. To try and compete with Seattle it has established a much more business-friendly regulatory environment.

Also, Bellevue feels much more suburban, conservative, and modern than Seattle. The City layout is completely different. Free parking garages are everywhere, even in the relatively "dense" downtown area (of which the core is two urban malls). It is filled with high-end chain stores and restaurants (although there are actually a good number of quality local ethnic restaurants too).

The people who choose to live in Bellevue are also pretty different from those who choose to live in Seattle. Bellevue is much more mainstream, preppie, and politically moderate. Although the downtown has many walkable features, the blocks are all super-blocks and the roads are wide. It feels very Sim City-ish.

Old 07-30-2013, 11:59 PM

1,108 posts, read 2,277,717 times
Bellevue very much resembles Walnut Creek on steroids.

Old 07-31-2013, 12:26 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,441,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orzo View Post
Although the downtown has many walkable features, the blocks are all super-blocks and the roads are wide. It feels very Sim City-ish.
I thought I was the only one who noticed that Sim City Factor!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City