Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 12:40 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,771,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOpinionCounts View Post
[b]""Mississippi is backwards because it is #"progressive." ??????
Yep. Remember "progressive" is just another term for fascism. Mississippi's corrupt/fascist court system has kept that place a backwater. The legacy of "progressive" racism still stains the place to this day. Until they reform the courts, the state will be near the rear of the pack.

Quote:
My point is valid. Mississippi is BACKWARDS, and Memphis has suffered embracing Mississippi-like culture.
Memphis is in worse shape, because of progressivism. Housing projects = Memphis's #1 cancer.

Quote:
Your attempt to conflate "The Progressive Movement" (political theory/thought) with "being progressive" (small "p") is wrong-headed indeed.
If you do not want to be associated with the fascist political movement, use a different word.

Quote:
The negatives about Memphis in re being a progressive community has nothing to do with your overly reliant use of Political Models and Theory.
Incorrect. Housing projects are a major component of progressivism. Housing projects = Memphis's #1 cancer.

Quote:
The State of Mississippi has NEVER been "progressive' in any way, it's been regressive and oppressive....ergo "backwards" and thoroughly behind many other US communities and states.
The progressive ideology is regressive and backwards. They use the word "progressive" instead of "fascist" to hide this truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 12:49 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,561,445 times
Quote:
""Mississippi is backwards because it is "progressive." ??????

You are free to look at most things as you seem to do well, through the lense of political jargon and flimsy theory.

My point is valid. Mississippi is BACKWARDS, and Memphis has suffered embracing Mississippi-like culture.

Your attempt to conflate "The Progressive Movement" (political theory/thought) with "being progressive" (small "p") is wrong-headed indeed.

The negatives about Memphis in re being a progressive community has nothing to do with your overly reliant use of Political Models and Theory.

The State of Mississippi has NEVER been "progressive' in any way, it's been regressive and oppressive....ergo "backwards" and thoroughly behind many other US communities and states. That's the whole point. That's what has affected Memphis' lack of PROGRESS (meaning forward).

Carry on.
The guy to whom you are responding might as well be Exhibit A when identifying the root cause. My only advice would be refusing to dignify him.

God speed.

Old 08-11-2013, 01:08 PM

1,272 posts, read 2,181,799 times
I'm still scratching my head as to why St. Louis was also thrown into the mix.

Old 08-11-2013, 01:19 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
The Southern Strategy is a myth. Again, all the major office holders who are minority in the year 2013 in the southern United States of America are all Republicans. The Republicans were the color blind party then and they are now. The Democrats are the party of race, racial division, and race baiting. They always have been.
Not at all; it's pretty well-documented. There was a very dramatic shift in the parties post-Civil Rights legislation and no amount of historic revisionism will change that, but let's simply agree to disagree here.

Quote:
I don't agree at all. The push and pull factors will work their way out.
Doubtful. You can't continue to pass laws that most Blacks view as discriminatory and expect them to migrate en masse to that party.

Quote:
And you would be wrong. And racist?

Welcome to Senator Tim Scott | Senator Tim Scott
I wasn't referring to senators, although Scott would be the lone exception and even then he was appointed, not elected.

And how is what I said racist?

Old 08-11-2013, 01:22 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Doesn't really matter where "I" and "from" ..not really, in re the thread...suffice it to say I'm not "from" Memphis TN ..meaning I certainly did not grow up and go to any school there or anywhere in the region...fair enough ? nor would I ever have my children in school(s) or certainly not colleges there..never. And yes, I'm a southerner but educated in New England....and other locations as well.

Any fool knows that Memphis can't "change its geographic location" i.e. being adjacent to the State of Mississippi. That does not mean that Memphis can't "travel with its collective MIND" in order to establish an identity that does not smack of Plantation Mississippi thought, mores, culture, attitudes, racism, bifurcation and associative ignorance. That takes work and commitment to being associated with better and higher values and standards. These people have no such burning desire, or that would have happened a long long time ago.

Frankly it would be better if "Memphis" established a more productive association with its namesake city, a rock's throw from Downtown Memphis.....WEST MEMPHIS.....but no, these people gravitate to establishing and maintaining bonds with the dumbest State in the Union....Mississippi. Memphis could leverage more or its name "recognition" right across a short bridge to W Mem to build positive economic, entertainment and cultural bonds to essentially become a huge powerhouse of the region, and pretty much OWN the River and the area. But no, you don't see the collaborative effort in any meaningful way. Hell, half the "marketing" is all ready in PLACE, given the "Name" of "Memphis". But no, these parochial Mississippi-inspired and nurtured leaders and residents treat West Memphis like a "red-headed stepchild".

Downtown Memphis could exploit and dominate the entire region ! But nooo...they embrace the spill-over into godawful Mississippi instead of "using" and leveraging the other side of the massively important Mississippi RIVER. BOTH sides of the historic River could have and experience the true "Memphis", and really build an identity that would clearly separate them from being "The largest city in the State of Mississippi". But noooo...they are too blind, too insular too much of a Plantation mentality to fully leverage its own nomenclature.

Lots of smart cities have leveraged this strategy. Some of which are St. Paul, Minny, Kansas City, Cinncy, Dallas-Ft Worth, and several others.

It's a sin for Memphis and West Memphis not to fully leverage and "OWN" the region and OWN the River and what its significance truly is, and could be from an economic catalyst point of view.

Arkansas' reputation is hardly as negative and nasty as Mississippi's. Mississippi's continues to be at the BOTTOM, so establishing bonds with West MEMPHIS should be less of a cultural, nasty infection. Mississippi has infected Memphis, not the other way around...and that's the salient negative issue. Mississippi has "rubbed off" on Memphis...Tennessee has certainly not "rubbed off" on Mississippi. The City of Memphis has an enormous opportunity with The City of West Memphis...and has had this opportunity for decades. Memphis has balked, and capitulated to the most backward, primitive state in the USA. That decision has harmed Memphis, not harmed Mississippi. The blowback on a national basis has been significant. Memphis could have been cultivating extremely solid and mutually rewarding economic and social opportunities for all of the "Memphis citizens" on both sides of the Great River, and could have made it a mecca for "all things On The Great River".....but nooooo........too stupid.
So what are some concrete examples of Memphis's so-called embrace of Mississippi here?

Old 08-11-2013, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Not at all; it's pretty well-documented. There was a very dramatic shift in the parties post-Civil Rights legislation and no amount of historic revisionism will change that, but let's simply agree to disagree here.
The Southern Strategy is a myth. Sure the south has become Republican in its most dynamic, least racist era, but isn't that expected?

Again, all the minorities holding major office in the south in 2013 are Republicans.

Quote:
Doubtful. You can't continue to pass laws that most Blacks view as discriminatory and expect them to migrate en masse to that party.
Name one recently enacted law. Just one. Meanwhile the Democrats repeatedly block school choice and circle the wagons around their union cronies over minority school children in failing schools.

Quote:
I wasn't referring to senators, although Scott would be the lone exception and even then he was appointed, not elected.
Scott is the lone exception in the entire U.S. Senate! Elected to Congress, as a Republican. Appointed to the U.S. Senate, by a Republican, who also happens to be a minority.

Scott is more popular among Republicans than the white guy Lindsey Graham is. Meanwhile Lindsey Graham is more popular among Democrats than Tim Scott is.

Quote:
And how is what I said racist?
Assuming all blacks are in general Democrats. It is racist and wrong. Black Republicans suffer an extreme amount of racist hate, from Democrats.

Old 08-11-2013, 01:38 PM

367 posts, read 996,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
I'm still scratching my head as to why St. Louis was also thrown into the mix.
....have you heard some of the things said about St Louis on city data....St Louis too needs ideas on how to be progressive or at least improve itself,...how to attract more immigrants,..stop its ominous population decline... pick up its lagging economy...and improve its Lambert Airport....it may be bigger than Memphis but it has similiar issues

Old 08-11-2013, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
So what are some concrete examples of Memphis's so-called embrace of Mississippi here?
Elvis Presley. Case closed.

Old 08-11-2013, 02:14 PM

320 posts, read 578,307 times
Quote:
Doesn't really matter where "I" and "from" ..not really, in re the thread...suffice it to say I'm not "from" Memphis TN ..meaning I certainly did not grow up and go to any school there or anywhere in the region...fair enough ? nor would I ever have my children in school(s) or certainly not colleges there..never. And yes, I'm a southerner but educated in New England....and other locations as well.

Any fool knows that Memphis can't "change its geographic location" i.e. being adjacent to the State of Mississippi. That does not mean that Memphis can't "travel with its collective MIND" in order to establish an identity that does not smack of Plantation Mississippi thought, mores, culture, attitudes, racism, bifurcation and associative ignorance. That takes work and commitment to being associated with better and higher values and standards. These people have no such burning desire, or that would have happened a long long time ago.

Frankly it would be better if "Memphis" established a more productive association with its namesake city, a rock's throw from Downtown Memphis.....WEST MEMPHIS.....but no, these people gravitate to establishing and maintaining bonds with the dumbest State in the Union....Mississippi. Memphis could leverage more or its name "recognition" right across a short bridge to W Mem to build positive economic, entertainment and cultural bonds to essentially become a huge powerhouse of the region, and pretty much OWN the River and the area. But no, you don't see the collaborative effort in any meaningful way. Hell, half the "marketing" is all ready in PLACE, given the "Name" of "Memphis". But no, these parochial Mississippi-inspired and nurtured leaders and residents treat West Memphis like a "red-headed stepchild".

Downtown Memphis could exploit and dominate the entire region ! But nooo...they embrace the spill-over into godawful Mississippi instead of "using" and leveraging the other side of the massively important Mississippi RIVER. BOTH sides of the historic River could have and experience the true "Memphis", and really build an identity that would clearly separate them from being "The largest city in the State of Mississippi". But noooo...they are too blind, too insular too much of a Plantation mentality to fully leverage its own nomenclature.

Lots of smart cities have leveraged this strategy. Some of which are St. Paul, Minny, Kansas City, Cinncy, Dallas-Ft Worth, and several others.

It's a sin for Memphis and West Memphis not to fully leverage and "OWN" the region and OWN the River and what its significance truly is, and could be from an economic catalyst point of view.

Arkansas' reputation is hardly as negative and nasty as Mississippi's. Mississippi's continues to be at the BOTTOM, so establishing bonds with West MEMPHIS should be less of a cultural, nasty infection. Mississippi has infected Memphis, not the other way around...and that's the salient negative issue. Mississippi has "rubbed off" on Memphis...Tennessee has certainly not "rubbed off" on Mississippi. The City of Memphis has an enormous opportunity with The City of West Memphis...and has had this opportunity for decades. Memphis has balked, and capitulated to the most backward, primitive state in the USA. That decision has harmed Memphis, not harmed Mississippi. The blowback on a national basis has been significant. Memphis could have been cultivating extremely solid and mutually rewarding economic and social opportunities for all of the "Memphis citizens" on both sides of the Great River, and could have made it a mecca for "all things On The Great River".....but nooooo........too stupid.
You lived in Memphis, Mississippi, or Arkansas? You've been there?

Old 08-11-2013, 02:53 PM

367 posts, read 996,444 times
If Memphis sucks so much...how did it get so big....I mean almost 700,000 folks... dats huge
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City