Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 12:50 PM

61 posts, read 322,220 times

Advertisements

To defend the original poster, this was an ARTICLE that i myself read about 6 months ago when doing research on Miami and Florida as a whole. The gist of the article is that in reality,every city has its good and bad, its a matter of picking your battles! I am from NYC, and the transition to anywhere else in the US will be a tough one for me bcause I have grown to love this city however it has its negatives just like everywhere else.. and its squeezing the middle class out day by day like any other overblown city! I moved to CT about a year ago, which to some New Yorks is considered a step ahead of ny, and i moved back less than a year later!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2007, 05:09 PM

655 posts, read 2,182,973 times
I loved the post! That's actually how I feel about Miami and most other cities.

I'll take Miami, flaws and all!

Old 11-12-2007, 07:07 PM

546 posts, read 2,147,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chisoxfan View Post
It could be argued that Miami (home of the 0-9 Dolphins) doesn't have pro football, either.
At least it didn't take the Marlins 100 years to win a world series...

theres a difference in realizing negativity and being blind to the facts that miami is dangerous and a crummy city. all the op did was compare it to a bunch of other cities and saying "hey this city doesn't have warm weather." guess what, i'd prefer to be cold than dead.

Moderator cut: cut

Last edited by mbmouse; 11-13-2007 at 04:55 AM.. Reason: cut out the insult

Old 12-06-2010, 04:56 PM

42 posts, read 108,559 times
You people can hate on Miami all you want Just know it's better than any city listed on this form UNLIKE THE REST OF THE CITIE'S MIAMI IS NOT DIRTY CHIGAGO IS STRAIT UP HOOD I SAID IT WHAT SAME THING WITH NYC SOUTHBEACH BAYSIDE EVERGLADES KEYWEST KENDALLE ARE BETTER THAN THAT DUMD PARK IN CHIGAGO SEE MIAMI THE MIA WILL ALWAY'S BE THE SEXEST BEST MOST BEAUTIFUL PLAC ON THE PLANET I DON'T CARE WHAT ANY BODY HAS TO SAY ABOUT THAT JUST KNOW IT'S TRUE AND MIAMI WILL ALWAY'S BE BIGGER AND BETTER

Old 12-06-2010, 04:59 PM

42 posts, read 108,559 times
I ment what i said

Old 12-06-2010, 06:02 PM

9 posts, read 19,438 times
Excellent OP.

I 'd like Houston to be included in the comparison.

Old 12-06-2010, 06:09 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,194,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami skyline View Post
You people can hate on Miami all you want Just know it's better than any city listed on this form UNLIKE THE REST OF THE CITIE'S MIAMI IS NOT DIRTY CHIGAGO IS STRAIT UP HOOD I SAID IT WHAT SAME THING WITH NYC SOUTHBEACH BAYSIDE EVERGLADES KEYWEST KENDALLE ARE BETTER THAN THAT DUMD PARK IN CHIGAGO SEE MIAMI THE MIA WILL ALWAY'S BE THE SEXEST BEST MOST BEAUTIFUL PLAC ON THE PLANET I DON'T CARE WHAT ANY BODY HAS TO SAY ABOUT THAT JUST KNOW IT'S TRUE AND MIAMI WILL ALWAY'S BE BIGGER AND BETTER

I know airplane tickets are expensive, but there shouldn't be any reason for someone to stop learning about the world. When you said Miami is the "best most beautiful place on the planet" , I literally felt angry, sad and sorry for you and for people like you. Maybe our government is at fault by taking away resources useful for cultural enhancement.

You have so much to discover and to experience. By limiting yourself to expressways, parking lots and strip malls, you are taking away all the beauty this world has to offer. If you don't have the means to experience this world in real life, do yourself a favor and use the internet - you won't be disappointed.

PS: I don't mean American "cities" - not really much to see in them.

Old 12-06-2010, 07:11 PM

33 posts, read 66,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hector656 View Post

Chicago – Many call Chicago a "more-livable New York." If your idea of livable is sub-zero temperatures for weeks at a time, I suppose that may be true. And even when it does warm up, every year you hear about hundreds of old people dying during heat waves. Funny, Florida is full of heat and old people and you still don't hear about these mass deaths. Kinda makes you wonder, doesn't it? Also, becareful with the high winds!
sub-zero for weeks at a time? sure it gets cold in Chgo, but barely falls below 0 EVER and definitely not for weeks. Every year you hear about hundreds of old people dying in heat waves? One year, 1995.
Chgo is nicknamed the windy city because of politics, not high wind.
Chicago is known for lots of great things, the weather however is not one of them, but it is not how you described either.

Is there something positive other than the weather that Miami is good for?

Old 12-06-2010, 07:38 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,194,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by girltalk View Post

Is there something positive other than the weather that Miami is good for?
Most beautiful people in America?

Old 12-06-2010, 08:37 PM

1,284 posts, read 3,896,201 times
The most I can say for Miami is that I know it's not the worst place to live in and I don't hate living here,with that said the amount of things I dislike about Miami definitely outweigh the positives.I've probably met 100 or more people who moved to Miami and within a year,or sometimes months realized this place was not what they were expecting from when they came on a trip or saw on TV.The weather thing is way overhyped, Miami has stifling heat half the year with daily storms always threatening and those good old hurricane watches and warnings,many of the cities on the list might have bad winters for 3-4 months but the rest of the year,fall,spring and summers have excellent weather.A lot of people enjoy cooler temperatures and don't feel the need to feel like you're in a sweatbox for half the year.Beautiful people,another thing that's way overhyped,Miami has average to below average looking people,maybe if you're walking through Lincoln Rd you'll see a a lot of good looking people,go stroll the regular malls and find me the percentage of beautiful people,maybe 5-10%.Also those same people you see walking in South Beach a good percentage of them are either visiting or are not even permanent residents.The people and driving I won't even get into it as they're the two scariest things about the city.Again I don't hate this place but there are a lot of things about this place that just get really old and I know I can't change them,eventually one day I'll move,probably not too far Central or Northern Florida and I'll come down and enjoy my visits to Miami for Holidays to visit family.

Last edited by doom1001; 12-06-2010 at 08:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City