U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where Should a Billionaire Put a Big-League Team?
Inland Empire...We're Not LA! 6 10.53%
Las Vegas...We Need Something Besides Slots! 24 42.11%
Hartford...Ignore the Whalers! 6 10.53%
Austin...San Antonio Spurs Make Us Jealous! 17 29.82%
Hampton Roads...We're Virginia Beach and Norfolk Too! 13 22.81%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 09:28 AM

801 posts, read 824,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryBTL View Post
None of the above. Vegas may be sports betting capital but what people who do live there are not enough into any to support a team other then the NBA perhaps? Most of the others are too saturated as is.

Me? I would look at markets where sports is HUGE. For example.. Des Moines ( MLB/NFL ), Grand Rapids MI ( NFL, NBA, NHL... ), OKC ( MLB, NFL ), see above with Birmingham and i would include NFL there as well.
Well, for those cities, would it be profitable to build a huge stadium and would that team draw enough fans to fill the seats? Sure those cities are crazy about sports, but like Austin and Columbus, isn't it mostly college sports? Alabama won't be getting a professional football team for a long time because of the devout following of Alabama and Auburn, plus the rivalry between those schools, and then add in the proximity of the Saints, Titans, and Falcons. I can see OKC getting MLB but I don't see Des Moines and Grand Rapids getting anything for a looooong time. So many other locations would be passed up that probably have a better argument for those teams (Seattle - NBA, Memphis - MLB, Carolinas - MLB, Hampton Roads - all, St. Louis/KC - NBA, Salt Lake City - MLB, etc.).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2013, 10:31 AM

11,790 posts, read 12,651,011 times
After LA gets a football team Birmingham should be next for the big three.

Every professional football team that came before it was supported up until the league folded. Alabama and Auburn play on Saturday. Pros play on Sunday. We can and have done both. Legion Field needs a make over. We can sit outside to watch a game or a dome. Either way, being it on.

Old 08-02-2013, 11:39 AM

1,875 posts, read 2,550,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
After LA gets a football team Birmingham should be next for the big three.

Every professional football team that came before it was supported up until the league folded. Alabama and Auburn play on Saturday. Pros play on Sunday. We can and have done both. Legion Field needs a make over. We can sit outside to watch a game or a dome. Either way, being it on.
The Thing is the NFL wants to expend the brand, not just plop a team in any small market with a strong football fan base. By that Logic, Salt lake City and Portland should get a team aswell! No doubt a Team in Alabama would be supported by here are some problems. 1. too small of a metro 2. Not enough "green" in the city 3. It would become a undesirable market for alot of people to want to play in 4. No new fanbase. The NFL will be in London before it's in Birmingham, honestly. They are trying to grow the world wide brand at these point, not just put a team in a area with a strong football fanbase.

Old 08-02-2013, 11:46 AM

21,958 posts, read 30,833,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
The Thing is the NFL wants to expend the brand, not just plop a team in any small market with a strong football fan base. By that Logic, Salt lake City and Portland should get a team aswell! No doubt a Team in Alabama would be supported by here are some problems. 1. too small of a metro 2. Not enough "green" in the city 3. It would become a undesirable market for alot of people to want to play in 4. No new fanbase. The NFL will be in London before it's in Birmingham, honestly. They are trying to grow the world wide brand at these point, not just put a team in a area with a strong football fanbase.

London creates to many logistical challenges. Toronto to me might be a good fit as a first venture outside the US. Though I think there are enough teams today. A watered down product makes the league worse

Old 08-02-2013, 11:57 AM

1,875 posts, read 2,550,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
London creates to many logistical challenges. Toronto to me might be a good fit as a first venture outside the US. Though I think there are enough teams today. A watered down product makes the league worse
I'm not saying put it in London, I'm saying that would make more sense in the Leagues point of View then a Tiny Market like Birmingham.

Old 08-02-2013, 12:26 PM

18,236 posts, read 25,930,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryBTL View Post
None of the above. Vegas may be sports betting capital but what people who do live there are not enough into any to support a team other then the NBA perhaps? Most of the others are too saturated as is.

Me? I would look at markets where sports is HUGE. For example.. Des Moines ( MLB/NFL ), Grand Rapids MI ( NFL, NBA, NHL... ), OKC ( MLB, NFL ), see above with Birmingham and i would include NFL there as well.
NFL and MLB would fail in all of these cities.

Old 08-02-2013, 12:36 PM

8,386 posts, read 9,959,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
NFL and MLB would fail in all of these cities.
Is that including the poll list as well?

Old 08-02-2013, 12:50 PM

18,236 posts, read 25,930,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Is that including the poll list as well?
Well I only posted that regarding the cities he listed. But looking at the list, I do not see NFL nor MLB working in Austin, Hartford, or Vegas (people need to get over this, Vegas is not getting a team in any of the major sports period). Hampton Roads would work for NBA only IMO. Inland Empire, there's already 2 MLB teams in the LA area and 3 in SoCal period. There will not be a fourth and NFL, maybe.

Old 08-02-2013, 12:52 PM

9,832 posts, read 7,328,396 times
Gambling and pro sports do not mix. Just look at boxing--it has WWE levels of credibility these days. Why? Because of all the outlandish decisions/thrown fights that have occurred just in the years when Vegas became the boxing Mecca.

Old 08-02-2013, 12:54 PM

7,513 posts, read 6,009,471 times
bringing MLB Charlotte would make a lot of sense
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City