Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where Should a Billionaire Put a Big-League Team?
Inland Empire...We're Not LA! 6 10.53%
Las Vegas...We Need Something Besides Slots! 24 42.11%
Hartford...Ignore the Whalers! 6 10.53%
Austin...San Antonio Spurs Make Us Jealous! 17 29.82%
Hampton Roads...We're Virginia Beach and Norfolk Too! 13 22.81%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 09:34 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,512,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sports Guy 382 View Post
Why are people saying Portland for the MLB? Didn't their AAA team fold and their old baseball stadium converted to a soccer field?
The owner of the AAA baseball Beavers was also the owner of the Timbers--so when they went up to MLS they converted the baseball stadium into a soccer/football specific stadium--though the city backed out of putting in a new baseball stadium... So the Beavers moved to Tuscon and then Southern California.

They never got the best attendence, though Single A minor league ball and college baseball does well in Oregon. I went to a few Beavers games though and the atmosphere was lackluster even for minor league ball.

Personally I'd like Portland to get an NHL team(apparently Paul Allen the Trailblazers owner was interested in getting the Coyotes). Though if not Portland than Seattle--the Pacific Northwest needs a NHL team--and Vancouver is a little too far and always sold out and too expensive for Canucks games for out of towners to get tickets...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2013, 01:14 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,458,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
I see, so put it in a European city that is mostly apathetic about American football. I thought the green part would be addressed by the billionaire.

A team where many SEC stars from both Alabama and Auburn to potentially play would be a new fanbase. Might even draw some Mississippi patronage as well.

This place is no more undesirable then Buffalo, Oakland or New York if you aren't the Giants oops, make that New Jersey.
First of all I didn't say London would great market, But teh NFL would be more likely to go there instead of Birmingham. The south is already full of NFL fans, but the leagues want only 2 things, Money and Growth (which leads to more money). Birmingham would love their team but, it's a metro of only 1.1 million people. The average ticket price for an NFL game last year was $78, Do you think they could consistently sellout at those prices in Birmingham? Maybe they could, but it would be alot easier in a larger market that already has major professional sports.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamtonfordbury View Post
NFL:

And number 3 is questionable. How many former SEC players from Auburn and Alabama are in the NFL? A lot. The big question is why they would choose to play in a city like Cleveland or Buffalo instead of their home state. Many NFL players come from all over the southeast. The more southeastern teams the better.
Again this comes down to money. Honestly Buffalo should just move to Toronto. But your comparing Bad markets to Other Bad markets, Now compare it the places like San Diego, The Bay Area, Seattle, New York, Chicago, DC, and on and on. Birmingham would quickly become the forgotten team of the league. Football players go to SEC schools so they can play for huge programs with History and a shot at the National title. When they get to the pros they want money and a great place to live, to get out of there small towns. The numbers don't add up that Alabama would be a money generating market especially if their team was a bottom feeder. This doesn't when that London, Paris, or whatever are good markets. But in the NFL's mind they have extreme potential to be huge money makers. Even if 10 percent of the UK decided to give the NFL a chance that's 6 million NEW NFL fans and new money pouring in for them. South eastern football presence is great for college, but the NFL is about making the most money, not moving to a small market that would be hard to capitalize on profit. The South has Atlanta, New Orleans, Houston, Tennessee, Jacksonville, and Miami, of those teams only 3 are really profitable. Why add another small market team. Doesn't do the league or the city any good if they start losing money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Way wrong, do you know how mad Quebec City was when they lost their team?
What does that have to do with anything I said? I agree they are a great market but, the NHL wants to expand the brand in america to somewhere that could prosper, AKA the PNW. I think they QC should get a team soon but I just think Seattle and Portland are Slightly higher on the Totem pole at the moment. Hope they do get a team though, I know about losing a loved team.

Old 08-03-2013, 10:30 AM

1,672 posts, read 2,877,052 times
I want it here but I don't see Birmingham getting an NFL team in the near future. We have 3 teams already within driving distance, so the league and owners would shoot down any proposal to locate a franchise here.

Birmingham's best and more realistic chance for a pro franchise is either an NBA or MLS

Old 08-03-2013, 10:54 AM

591 posts, read 820,172 times
MLB in San Antonio.
NBA in Vegas.

Old 08-03-2013, 02:20 PM

1,466 posts, read 1,228,646 times
NFL: LA first and foremost. Other than that, I don't think the league should expand to any new cities.
NBA: Vegas seems to fit. Pittsburgh is also crazy about sports, though I don't know if it would support an NBA team. And for some reason I feel like Omaha needs a team.
MLB: Louisville possibly. Memphis, Nashville, and Charlotte also come to mind.
NHL: It's a crying shame that the state of Wisconsin doesn't have a team, so Milwaukee deserves one. Quebec City could use one too.

Old 08-03-2013, 07:48 PM

494 posts, read 804,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySwelly View Post
Well, for those cities, would it be profitable to build a huge stadium and would that team draw enough fans to fill the seats? Sure those cities are crazy about sports, but like Austin and Columbus, isn't it mostly college sports? Alabama won't be getting a professional football team for a long time because of the devout following of Alabama and Auburn, plus the rivalry between those schools, and then add in the proximity of the Saints, Titans, and Falcons. I can see OKC getting MLB but I don't see Des Moines and Grand Rapids getting anything for a looooong time. So many other locations would be passed up that probably have a better argument for those teams (Seattle - NBA, Memphis - MLB, Carolinas - MLB, Hampton Roads - all, St. Louis/KC - NBA, Salt Lake City - MLB, etc.).
See below..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
NFL and MLB would fail in all of these cities.
Tell that to the Twin Cities ( Vikings ) or the Green Bay Packers. Do you not realize the population of say W.MI, IA, etc? And why wouldn't it be just college sports IF there is nothing else to really route for?

I have lived in VA Beach and there has never been much interest there ( except with a few very vocal people ) for professional sports. Many seem to forget the Tidewater area has a decent military population which inflates the numbers a bit but regardless i don't see part time residents ( or whatever you wish to call them ) supporting a local team. Reasons why this has never happened. Perhaps between there and Richmond/Petersburg could work though? Ofcourse the Redskins wouldn't care for that but i think it could work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELR123 View Post
NFL: LA first and foremost. Other than that, I don't think the league should expand to any new cities.
NBA: Vegas seems to fit. Pittsburgh is also crazy about sports, though I don't know if it would support an NBA team. And for some reason I feel like Omaha needs a team.
NHL: It's a crying shame that the state of Wisconsin doesn't have a team, so Milwaukee deserves one. Quebec City could use one too.

Damn.. I forgot about that wth Wisconsin not having a Hockey team. Now that would probably the best location for any possible expansion team.

Old 08-03-2013, 09:19 PM

1,368 posts, read 3,216,321 times
Default Nfl

OKC is too small for other pro teams at this point. The AAA club has had year-over-year declines in attendance ever since the Thunder arrived with the ball club doing well. That says that there isn't room for growth for other sports.

I would say that the NFL will NEVER, EVER put another NFL team in a city where the US Military is the main driver for economic growth. Jacksonville can't support its franchise anymore and the team is going to be relocated at some point. If JAX and surrounding cities can't support a team, how in the heck is Hampton Roads going to? The military is great but should never be counted on for economic growth. The military is what kills the NFL chances in San Antonio and Austin is a non-starter due to the Longhorns.

The NFL in LA is also a DOA. The league obviously doesn't need the city (total gross revenues are up YoY), it refused to support losing Raiders and Rams teams and it has refuses to provide a better venue than the LA coliseum for the first few years.

SLC is markedly underserved in pro teams. It has very similar metrics to Denver and there is a growing population around it. The issue is that there isn't much of a region for it. Southern Idaho, Utah and rural Nevada. Denver and Phoenix have the other areas in the Rockies tied up.

Other than that, I don't see any really good cities for expansion for the NFL.

Old 08-04-2013, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonaZoo View Post
MLB in San Antonio.
NBA in Vegas.
NBA in Seattle before anything, Expansion or move.

Old 08-05-2013, 12:16 PM

1,312 posts, read 2,167,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELR123 View Post
It's odd that a hockey state like WI has never had an NHL team, but Milwaukee has tried. The Bradley Center (where the Bucks, Marquette, and the AHL Milwaukee Admirals play) was built for the sole purpose of attracting and NHL squad, and there have been many efforts throughout the years. The thought, I think, has been that Milwaukee is an hour and a half from Chicago and Wisconsin borders 2 other NHL states (MI and MN). Most people are fans of the 3 border state teams and the Badgers - I don't think that'll ever change.

Old 08-06-2013, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowsAndBeer View Post
It's odd that a hockey state like WI has never had an NHL team, but Milwaukee has tried. The Bradley Center (where the Bucks, Marquette, and the AHL Milwaukee Admirals play) was built for the sole purpose of attracting and NHL squad, and there have been many efforts throughout the years. The thought, I think, has been that Milwaukee is an hour and a half from Chicago and Wisconsin borders 2 other NHL states (MI and MN). Most people are fans of the 3 border state teams and the Badgers - I don't think that'll ever change.
To there eyes Milwaukee just isn't an Attractive market. They support their college sports greatly but the Bucks support is lack luster at best even when they are a playoff team and the Brewers are hit and miss. I just think the next market the NHL sets up in is a large market that has proven record of supporting their teams. I'm not saying their isn't diehard Milwaukee sports fans, but as whom watches you from a far, I haven't been really impressed with how much it seems the city cares about it's pro sports. Hope one day they do get a chance at a team though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City