U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 08:25 PM

507 posts, read 634,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
How so? Riding a bus? Walkable neighborhoods? Explain.
Bus, LRT, HRT, BRT, commuter rail etc. Yes walkable neighborhoods as well, I thought that apart from the MARTA stations ATL was extremely difficult to get around, but I guess I was wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 08:32 PM

18,509 posts, read 27,268,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Instigator View Post
Bus, LRT, HRT, BRT, commuter rail etc. Yes walkable neighborhoods as well, I thought that apart from the MARTA stations ATL was extremely difficult to get around, but I guess I was wrong.
the same for all these fast growing sunbelt cities. It's awesome if you live near transit but huge portions of the metro population are not served by rail

Old 08-06-2013, 08:37 PM

591 posts, read 602,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Atlanta - MARTA is Smarta!

Marta is Smarta! - YouTube
LOL! Atlanta is so ghetto, although Houston could give Atlanta a run for its money in the ghetto department.

I'll stick to the free trolley in Downtown Scottsdale, thank you very much.

Old 08-06-2013, 08:59 PM

189 posts, read 234,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
No....Atlanta beats the other two in bus and rail....in fact Houston's bus ridership is very, very low for a metro/city of it's size.

Atlanta also has a much more walkable urban core than Houston and Phoenix. Compare the # of neighborhoods in Atlanta with 70+ walkscore compared to Houston and Phoenix.

Atlanta has 27 neighborhoods with 70+. Houston only has 9. Phoenix has 0.

www.walkscore.com if you want to see yourself.
Houston METRO has higher bus ridership with 238,000 daily boardings while has Atlanta's MARTA has 187,000. Houston also has over 130 bus routes while Atlanta has over 90 routes. Obviously it's not exactly a one-to-one comparison since Atlanta has heavy rail which takes away (or adds depending on how you look at it) bus ridership. I imagine getting around by bus in Houston is easier than Atlanta because of the pretty straight-forward grid system in Houston as oppose to Atlanta's curvy and spaghetti roads outside the city core. So while Houston's bus system lags behinds the Northeast, California, and Chicago. It's almost on par with Miami and definitely ahead of DFW and arguably Atlanta.

Old 08-06-2013, 09:41 PM

9,046 posts, read 17,326,653 times
I'll pass on riding the bus. It's a monotonous endeavor with too many frequent stops, subject to traffic congestion, and so 1950's. American cities need more rail.

Old 08-06-2013, 09:47 PM

5,303 posts, read 7,644,504 times
Atlanta because of the weather. NO WAY would anyone wanna be caught walking around in the tropical-esque Houston or extreme heat of Phoenix when it lasts so long! Atlanta has hot & muggy summers too but it also has nice and mild (even cold) weather to make walking around town more comfortable than the other two cities. I'd imagine Atlanta also has better public transit than Phoenix or Houston as well.

Old 08-06-2013, 09:53 PM

3,453 posts, read 2,974,545 times
I would say Atlanta because u can get to at least 4 central buisness districts on rail. Plenty of dining, shopping,sporting events, airport, entertainment venues can be accesed by marta rail and it reaches some incredible neighborhoods.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:12 PM

6,795 posts, read 6,595,922 times
Let's not forget the beltline trail either. I'd say that connects some pretty walkable and dense neighborhoods like Inman Park to Midtown. I just think Atlanta is just a better city for walking and urban living than the other two. It's making more effort and strides to become a more dense, walkable city through huge projects like the beltline.

Old 08-07-2013, 12:27 AM

13,124 posts, read 15,928,232 times
Looks like Atlanta wins this one hands down.

BTW ... those who have not been to Atlanta in a few years might be surprised by the sheer amount of development -- residential, retail and employment centers -- that has / is taken place along the MARTA line through Midtown to Buckhead. Everytime I go back to visit, I'm blown away by the amount of street-level activity. And not just restaurants, etc but necessary things like grocery stores, pharmacies, convenience stores, etc that serve all the new high-rise residential towers and WITHIN WALKING DISTANCE of transit stations.

Old 08-07-2013, 12:41 AM

5,377 posts, read 7,669,891 times
The fact that people are trying to make Atlanta out to be this extremely dense/urban city compared to the other 2...Atlanta is not much better at all imo. It's still a pretty sprawled out mess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or