U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ??
LA 22 48.89%
Mexico City 16 35.56%
San Juan 4 8.89%
Miami 11 24.44%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 04:12 PM

20,128 posts, read 21,745,742 times

Advertisements

The odd one out here is San Juan. It's a much smaller city, and while it is a magnet for PRs from other parts of the island, the only significant immigration it gets is from the Dominican Republic and the numbers simply aren't that big.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 04:22 PM

27,612 posts, read 24,808,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armorgan86nm View Post
I've been to Miami, Los Angeles, and Mexico City. Los Angeles has the highest standard of living of the 3, with Miami a close second. All three have some international feel, with Miami coming in last place. All 3 have some pulse to them. As for soul, you can see mariachis in Mexico City, which help contribute to it having the most soul in my mind. As for soul between LA and MIA, both have sprawl, which takes away from the soul a little.
Just my 4 cents.
You could easily make the argument that L.A. has a more "international" feel than Miami along with Mexico City. But San Juan? Seriously? The fact that a city is not located in the continental U.S. does not make it international or give it more of an international feel. Very few people would agree that Port of Spain, Trinidad, for example, has more of an international feel than Miami.

Old 08-13-2013, 04:24 PM

2,426 posts, read 3,461,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
You could easily make the argument that L.A. has a more "international" feel than Miami along with Mexico City. But San Juan? Seriously? The fact that a city is not located in the continental U.S. does not make it international or give it more of an international feel. Very few people would agree that Port-au-Spain, Trinidad, for example, has more of an international feel than Miami.
I wonder if he meant more so "not American" rather than "cosmopolitan" or "international feel".

Old 08-13-2013, 05:10 PM

2,412 posts, read 1,765,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antillano89 View Post
LA is a magnet for the lower-strata of Mexico and Central America's population, illegal or otherwise. LA gets immigrants from Mexico and Central America because of geographical reasons, now how simple is that? People in Mexico's middle-class and elite don't have LA on their mind when they wanna travel to the US. For example Carlos Slim has property in NYC, why not LA? Because it's not really such a popular destination as NYC. This is more true for South Americans and people from the Caribbean,down there it's all about Miami and NYC in that order. LA is not even on our radar.

Do you see anything like this in LA?
Carlos slim has a property in beverly hills FYI.

Yes you see lots of that useless sh*t in LA.

Plenty of Wealthy hispanics Live/ spend time in LA.

Pepe Aguilar, Jenny Rivera, Luis Miguel etc.

Last edited by L.A.-Mex; 08-13-2013 at 05:20 PM..

Old 08-13-2013, 07:29 PM

263 posts, read 621,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.-Mex View Post
Carlos slim has a property in beverly hills FYI.

Yes you see lots of that useless sh*t in LA.

Plenty of Wealthy hispanics Live/ spend time in LA.

Pepe Aguilar, Jenny Rivera, Luis Miguel etc.
I'm sure Carlos Slim has plenty of houses in "beverly hills" type places all over the world. I mentioned him because of his heavy investments in all kinds of NYC properties and companies. He has spend so much time and money in that city, it's like his second home outside of DF.

Old 08-13-2013, 07:36 PM

263 posts, read 621,270 times
This thread would be alot more interesting in the Americas/World forums. I bet the poll results there would be very different also.

Old 08-13-2013, 09:32 PM

14,006 posts, read 21,964,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
You could easily make the argument that L.A. has a more "international" feel than Miami along with Mexico City. But San Juan? Seriously? The fact that a city is not located in the continental U.S. does not make it international or give it more of an international feel. Very few people would agree that Port of Spain, Trinidad, for example, has more of an international feel than Miami.
I agree. Miami should be ahead of San Juan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or