U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ??
LA 22 48.89%
Mexico City 16 35.56%
San Juan 4 8.89%
Miami 11 24.44%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 12:44 AM

2,346 posts, read 3,196,748 times

Advertisements

Four of NA's premier Latino magnets often never compared to the other barring MIA vs LA..

Street level pulse, culture, big city feel, amenities, scenery, international influence, food, urbanness, history, architecture, transit, airports, sports, shopping, weather, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 12:58 AM

5,303 posts, read 7,632,341 times
LA. Biggest after Mexico City, I believe, best culture, big city feel, international influence, food and doversity. Probably has the best scenery and airport, but not 100% sure. Many would say it has the best weather out of all of them, and the beaches are nice.

Old 08-07-2013, 01:03 AM

2,346 posts, read 3,196,748 times
I could never pick between LA and the DF. Two of my favorite cities in the world and SJ for smaller cities. LA is easier for me to live in because I am fluent in English and already live in the US but the DF is someplace I desire to live in for a spell IMO.

DF 22M
LA 18.2M
MIA 6.3M
SJ 2.6M

Old 08-09-2013, 07:08 PM

37 posts, read 70,231 times
I've been to Miami, Los Angeles, and Mexico City. Los Angeles has the highest standard of living of the 3, with Miami a close second. All three have some international feel, with Miami coming in last place. All 3 have some pulse to them. As for soul, you can see mariachis in Mexico City, which help contribute to it having the most soul in my mind. As for soul between LA and MIA, both have sprawl, which takes away from the soul a little.
Just my 4 cents.

Old 08-09-2013, 07:42 PM

14,006 posts, read 21,956,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armorgan86nm View Post
I've been to Miami, Los Angeles, and Mexico City. Los Angeles has the highest standard of living of the 3, with Miami a close second. All three have some international feel, with Miami coming in last place. All 3 have some pulse to them. As for soul, you can see mariachis in Mexico City, which help contribute to it having the most soul in my mind. As for soul between LA and MIA, both have sprawl, which takes away from the soul a little.
Just my 4 cents.
both have enough soul in their inner-cities.

Old 08-10-2013, 04:45 PM

2,412 posts, read 1,764,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armorgan86nm View Post
Just my 4 cents.
Mariachis in LA can compete with Mexico City, Guadalajara is on another level.

As for soul DF sprawls nearly as much as LA, LA has the strong mexican prescence, strong Hispanic prescence, strong African American culture in south LA, and many ethnic neighborhoods from all corners of the earth. So I think LA and DF are top tier, and SJ and MIA are next.

Old 08-10-2013, 05:08 PM
Beck Duggleby

n/a posts
DISCLAIMER: I have never been to LA and don't care to go.

Los Angeles is essentially plastic surgery gone bad, horrendous traffic, cheesy nightclubs, shallow individuals, crime-ridden suburbs, mega-wealthy mansions, trashy beaches, ugly strip malls and smog. Nevertheless, it has some great nightlife (not to me, but to some people, definitely) and that international vibe to it. Because everyone knows LA...

Not my cup of tea, personally.

Old 08-10-2013, 05:10 PM

2,945 posts, read 3,594,755 times
LA is frequently bashed on this forum, but few people actually explore LA to see just how gorgeous the city is. While LA's boulevards and commercial streets need some major beautification work, the residential parts of LA are wonderful. Even Compton, a city renowned for crime, has gorgeous housing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beck Duggleby View Post
DISCLAIMER: I have never been to LA and don't care to go.

Los Angeles is essentially plastic surgery gone bad, horrendous traffic, cheesy nightclubs, shallow individuals, crime-ridden suburbs, mega-wealthy mansions, trashy beaches, ugly strip malls and smog. Nevertheless, it has some great nightlife (not to me, but to some people, definitely) and that international vibe to it. Because everyone knows LA...

Not my cup of tea, personally.
Your comment is essentially ignorance gone public.

Old 08-10-2013, 05:16 PM
Beck Duggleby

n/a posts
GatsbyGatz -

I know I'm ignorant about LA because I've never been. However, one can make reasonable assumptions from what you see on Google Images, street view, maps, travel guides, television, books, etc.

Old 08-10-2013, 05:29 PM

4,155 posts, read 4,294,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beck Duggleby View Post
GatsbyGatz -

I know I'm ignorant about LA because I've never been. However, one can make reasonable assumptions from what you see on Google Images, street view, maps, travel guides, television, books, etc.
One can also make painfully useless generalizations on those bases as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or