U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ATL vs SD for a carfree lifestyle?
ATL 17 44.74%
SD 21 55.26%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 07:45 AM

9,086 posts, read 12,887,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
Gwinnett Transit is a joke. Buses that come about once an hour. No weekend service except one route from Sugarloaf Mills to Doravile.

In San Diego one can get on the train, get off at Fullerton station and take the OCTD 43 bus(runs every 15 minutes) to Disneyland.
Yes it is a joke but it does work.Its still NOT Atlanta.Its Gwinnett County.
You can ride a bus 15 minutes to Six Flags after riding the MARTA to the H.E..Holmes Station

You can also do the same in the opposite direction from the Indian Creek MARTA Station and ride a bus to Stone Mountain Park and be there in 15 min.

Does light rail in Sad Diego go to the airport?Oh yeh that's right,it does not.Maybe by 2050 I think is the plan?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 08:04 AM

9,086 posts, read 12,887,631 times
I like how some people always say they lived in Atlanta.Not the city but a suburb and then compare it to "city living" where in another city they live in town now.Its so odd.

Old 08-09-2013, 08:22 AM

591 posts, read 604,355 times
If I see one more "car-free lifestyle" thread...

Old 08-09-2013, 11:20 AM

1,324 posts, read 2,003,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Atlanta also has a better rail system than Seattle too, doesn't mean it's necessarily a better place to live with out a car though. I would think living in a dense, walkable neighborhood with all the amenities one needs is a bit more important than being able to take a train to the airport or some tourist attractions. Haven't heard much on that end with Atlanta yet regarding neighborhoods.
Im leaning towards Atlanta. My client was close to the Midtown MARTA stop, and I stayed in Midtown, Downtown and Buckhead hotels. That area in midtown at the time was walkable in that it had a number of bars, restaurants CVS and Grocery store in their vicinity. I didnt rent a car, and the MARTA played a key role in getting me to the airport, and heading up to buckhead if i needed to shop if i was staying for the weekend.

I spent time in SD; my corp apartment was across UCSD. Probably not the best spot for comparison, but I did spend time in Pacific Beach, Downtown (Gaslamp) and Hillcrest. I didnt see anything that convincing to put SD above Atlanta.

Old 08-09-2013, 01:04 PM

6,795 posts, read 6,612,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gichicago View Post
Im leaning towards Atlanta. My client was close to the Midtown MARTA stop, and I stayed in Midtown, Downtown and Buckhead hotels. That area in midtown at the time was walkable in that it had a number of bars, restaurants CVS and Grocery store in their vicinity. I didnt rent a car, and the MARTA played a key role in getting me to the airport, and heading up to buckhead if i needed to shop if i was staying for the weekend.

I spent time in SD; my corp apartment was across UCSD. Probably not the best spot for comparison, but I did spend time in Pacific Beach, Downtown (Gaslamp) and Hillcrest. I didnt see anything that convincing to put SD above Atlanta.
Exactly. Midtown is easily transforming into the best urban neighborhood in the Southeast and in 15 years, will probably be one of the best urban neighborhoods in the country and this is someone who is not very fond of Atlanta's poor density numbers.

Old 08-09-2013, 01:16 PM

9,596 posts, read 10,948,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Exactly. Midtown is easily transforming into the best urban neighborhood in the Southeast and in 15 years, will probably be one of the best urban neighborhoods in the country and this is someone who is not very fond of Atlanta's poor density numbers.
I don't know if I would say the best in the Southeast. What about Brickell in Miami? That neighborhood has a pretty big lead on Midtown Atlanta in the urban neighborhood department.

Old 08-09-2013, 02:15 PM

15,404 posts, read 24,446,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
I just told you about my roommate and myself.
I used to not have a car for a while after an accident.I have lived and worked all over this city at different times in my life without a car.I walk to a Wal-Mart that is next to the MARTA station,restaurants and go swimming at a city indoor pool at a nearby park. that is near my house.When I need to go further I go to the subway and hop on with my bike.What more do you want to hear?Atlanta does not a have a beach!lol

Again.This is about SD and ATL.We are NOT discussing BART are we?Obviously rapid rail is faster and can get you more places quicker.With buses it also helps.Light rail is decent but in no way has the capacity of heavy rail.
Let's not also forget that Atlanta's streetcar will be open next year.
All you said was you live within a 10 min walk to a MARTA station and your roommate bikes to GA Tech. You didn't really say anything until now about how you live a car free lifestyle. That's what I was curious about, is your shopping, dining, entertainment, etc..needs easy to get to w/o driving? Which is seems it apparently appears to be so. Out of curiosity, what is the name of the neighborhood you live in? I'm genuinely interested in what neighborhoods of Atlanta are dense and easier to live w/o a car.

No but we are talking about heavy/rapid rail aren't we? Again I was pointing out how having a better/faster rail system doesn't automatically equate to making it easier to live w/o a car. Don't see how having a higher passenger capacity equates to making it easier to live w/o a car either, all it says is that it can carry more people.

Old 08-09-2013, 02:30 PM

15,404 posts, read 24,446,496 times
Quote:
You're talking about an area that's easily 8-9 miles northeast of Midtown....I bet you I can go 8-9 miles outside of DT San Diego and the neighborhoods wouldn't be walkable either.
Pacific Beach, where I lived w/o a car, is about 9-10 mile from downtown SD and walk able. UTC, another dense, fairly walkable area with lots of amenities is about 13 miles from DT SD.

Old 08-09-2013, 02:52 PM

2,426 posts, read 3,471,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Yes it is a joke but it does work.Its still NOT Atlanta.Its Gwinnett County.
You can ride a bus 15 minutes to Six Flags after riding the MARTA to the H.E..Holmes Station

You can also do the same in the opposite direction from the Indian Creek MARTA Station and ride a bus to Stone Mountain Park and be there in 15 min.

Does light rail in Sad Diego go to the airport?Oh yeh that's right,it does not.Maybe by 2050 I think is the plan?
OMG but the airport is literally right next to downtown so it's not even that big of a deal that it doesn't have light rail.

San Diego has more walkable neighborhoods. We got around just fine using the trolley when I visited.

Old 08-09-2013, 02:54 PM

507 posts, read 635,129 times
Quote:
If by one of the best in the country you mean top 40 then I agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City