Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ATL vs SD for a carfree lifestyle?
ATL 17 44.74%
SD 21 55.26%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 11:17 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times

Advertisements

Why do people keep creating these "Atlanta vs (name a city) For Getting Around Without A Car" threads?!

Houston vs Phoenix vs Atlanta car free lifestyle

Why can't people accept the fact that Atlanta has a subway system that serves the city and near suburbs well, one which ranks 7th in the nation for daily ridership?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2013, 05:33 AM

6,540 posts, read 12,032,561 times
I lived in both, and Atlanta is easier to get around without a car, especially within the city limits. The MARTA rail system is convenient and efficient, and often times better than driving into the city, especially when there's a major event going on. In San Diego if you own a car, there's no reason to take the trolley or bus, except maybe for going to a Chargers or Padres game. One thing SD has going for it is two commuter lines in the northern suburbs, but it runs on a limited schedule (only during peak commute times).

Old 08-10-2013, 07:05 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,736,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
Really brickwell ??? U could have used a better neighborhood than that one..Brickwell is very car oriented and its just a bunch of Condos... midtown consist of bars night clubs gay nightlife nice restaurants shopping 3 marta subway stations a big urban park etc brickwell doesnt compare

They are both suburban honestly. But if we are going to compare southern neighborhoods, Brickell is more developed than Midtown. Most of Midtown is still undeveloped. In time, maybe it will pass Brickell. This is all a mute point in the grand scheme of things because none of these neighborhoods come anywhere close to the developed urban neighborhoods in NYC, DC, Philly, Boston, San Fran, or Chicago.

Old 08-10-2013, 07:12 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,736,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
That's why I didn't necessarily use present tense, but Brickell sucks IMO. It's not even that walkable....it's very auto-oriented...I'd take Midtown Atlanta way before Brickell. The buildings in Brikell are surrounded by lawns and don't even front the sidewalks...it's not your traditional urban neighborhoods....it's like Buckhead to me. Plus Miami really isn't even in the Southeast.

Right now, I'd say it's top 40, but in 15 years, I think it will become one of the best urban neighborhoods. With 4 subway stations and a very dense, packed area in 1 square mile. You'll see. Give it time. It has the backbones already and it's already pretty built up with several infill projects in the works now.

You got to admit. Midtown is pretty impressive for a district that's not downtown. With roughly 25k-30k people in 1 square mile.

Midtown to Downtown Atlanta Skyline - HD Zoom - July 2013 - YouTube

That is true, but it's more developed so for right now, it's still ahead of Midtown. I will say 15 years is a long way off so who knows what the development in both neighborhoods will be like. Sure, Midtown could pass Brickell in development but right now, it's not there in my opinion. You're right though that Miami buildings are suburban.

Old 08-10-2013, 10:22 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,234,753 times
I live in Atlanta. Didn't vote because, although I've been to San Diego, I don't know it well enough to compare the possibility of a "car-free lifestyle."

However, I do know that Atlanta is not a good place for someone without a car. Sure, if you happen to be lucky enough to live/work in two areas - say, living in Sandy Springs and working in Midtown -- served by the MARTA train system, you could commute daily that way. However, if you really want to get around the city, you need a car. Case in point: I just watched an Anthony Bourdain travel special "Layover Atlanta." It showed some of the more interesting spots in Atlanta. For virtually every one of those visits, you would need a car to get there.

Last edited by stillinthesouth; 08-10-2013 at 10:29 AM.. Reason: grammar

Old 08-10-2013, 10:38 AM

2,061 posts, read 3,734,700 times
I've lived in both Atlanta & San Diego... AND, when I moved to San Diego, lived the first 2 years there car free.............................................. .......................................... LIFE SUCKED!!!!!!
I couldn't take it anymore, so I found myself down in National City buying a car I couldn't afford from some rip-off shark car salesman! Lol (ahhh... To be young & dumb again...)

But I've lived in both places car free before. It was much easier for me getting around in Atlanta than in San Diego.
I was a daily MARTA rider. In San Diego, I only ever rode the trolley if I was going to TJ or Fashion Valley Mall... I do realize that there are a lot more stations there now than back then, but still gotta say it's easier in Atlanta (depending on where you live).

Old 08-10-2013, 10:44 AM

2,061 posts, read 3,734,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Why do people keep creating these "Atlanta vs (name a city) For Getting Around Without A Car" threads?!

Why can't people accept the fact that Atlanta has a subway system that serves the city and near suburbs well, one which ranks 7th in the nation for daily ridership?
Right... People are relentless to try to demean Atlanta's transit system.
They set out to prove that everywhere else is better, and people that have never lived in either vote...

You can only vote on something like this if you've ever had to live in both locations.

I voted on that ATLvsPHXvsHOU one also, but I am one that have very little knowledge about Houston. I had to go off of having not have been there in about 10 years, BUT I can currently speak for life in ATL vs PHX.

Old 08-10-2013, 10:48 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post

It's only one person. Lets not act like CD is waging a war on ATL lol

Old 08-10-2013, 12:26 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,786,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillstuckinthesouth View Post
I live in Atlanta. Didn't vote because, although I've been to San Diego, I don't know it well enough to compare the possibility of a "car-free lifestyle."

However, I do know that Atlanta is not a good place for someone without a car. Sure, if you happen to be lucky enough to live/work in two areas - say, living in Sandy Springs and working in Midtown -- served by the MARTA train system, you could commute daily that way. However, if you really want to get around the city, you need a car. Case in point: I just watched an Anthony Bourdain travel special "Layover Atlanta." It showed some of the more interesting spots in Atlanta. For virtually every one of those visits, you would need a car to get there.
You act like you can't ride a bus.
About that Layover show:No one is disputing that public transportation does not need to be improved.It does but you can get to every last one of those areas by bus or train.Mostly combination of both.You don't NEED a car but you might WANT a car.

Old 08-10-2013, 12:40 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,234,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
You act like you can't ride a bus.
About that Layover show:No one is disputing that public transportation does not need to be improved.It does but you can get to every last one of those areas by bus or train.Mostly combination of both.You don't NEED a car but you might WANT a car.
OK, fair enough. A lot of people aren't fans of riding a bus, though.

The metro area could have a much better transportation network, but unfortunately its residents are part of the problem - e.g. the referendum a year ago that would have paid for major transportation improvements for only a 1 cent increase (for a limited time) in the sales tax. Voted down. I also live in a county (Cobb) that voted down MARTA rail service years ago.

Last edited by stillinthesouth; 08-10-2013 at 12:42 PM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City