Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ATL vs SD for a carfree lifestyle?
ATL 17 44.74%
SD 21 55.26%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 03:28 PM

507 posts, read 807,210 times

Advertisements

Which city would be easier to get by without a car all modes of public transportation considered?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 03:38 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,513,296 times
San Diego you could skateboard to your job at Roberto's Taco Shop after chillaxing on the beach and smoking a doobie. After work you could hang ten in the waves then chillax some more in your totally cool apartment that never needs A/C.

Old 08-08-2013, 03:51 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,856,342 times
This is pretty tough. San Diego has some decent light rail and buses, decent inner neighborhoods around downtown and is fairly dense. On the other hand you have Atlanta with a far superior heavy rail system and probably comparable bus service but much lower density. However it seems like Atlanta has a bigger core so that gives it a bit of an advantage too.

Old 08-08-2013, 03:54 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,513,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
This is pretty tough. San Diego has some decent light rail and buses, decent inner neighborhoods around downtown and is fairly dense. On the other hand you have Atlanta with a far superior heavy rail system and probably comparable bus service but much lower density. However it seems like Atlanta has a bigger core so that gives it a bit of an advantage too.
If you are willing to walk and bike more I think SD offers some better inner neighborhoods around DT esp with the mild weather for doing so...Atlanta will probably get you more places faster without a car though.. but just around DT and if you lived in a neighborhood around there, went to the beach, etc... SD probably better.

Old 08-08-2013, 05:28 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,651,109 times
Living in certain neighborhoods without a car is not that hard in Sd, it's getting across town that is difficult and time consuming. Unfortunately the Trolley (light rail) doesn't link the best neighborhoods to live w/o a car.

I lived in UTC w/o a car for two years, wasn't that hard as everything I needed was in the area and I worked and went to school there too. Bus service is pretty good in the area, especially now from what I hear with the "Super Loop" service. It's also really good for UCSD students that can use the shuttles in the neighborhood. I lived w/o a car in Pacific Beach for 6 months while I worked downtown, that was actually pretty easy too because of the express bus that went straight downtown. Even when I had a car in PB I rarely used it for day to day stuff since most everything was within walking or biking distance.

Unless you work in Dowtown SD, which many don't, it can be difficult getting to work w/o a car if you work in any of the other major employment centers.

Last edited by sav858; 08-08-2013 at 05:36 PM..

Old 08-08-2013, 06:05 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,438,068 times
I would say San Diego if not for Marta rail. But...

MARTA Train Entering Lindbergh - YouTube

Marta train leaving Georgia state station - YouTube

Riding MARTA In Atlanta, Georgia - YouTube

San Diego doesn't have anything like Marta. It hits almost all the popular points and if you choose to live near it and lucky enough to work near it you're set.

Old 08-08-2013, 07:28 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,797,456 times
This cannot be serious?MARTA will take you from the inside of the airport to Perimeter Mall area and further.at least 30 miles or close to that.It also links up with other systems like CCT and Gwinnett Transit.
Well into2 of the most populous suburbs.
All the the tourist areas are connected and you can take bikes on MARTA as well
It may not be NYC but it is a little more than adequate.

Old 08-08-2013, 07:47 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,651,109 times
Atlanta also has a better rail system than Seattle too, doesn't mean it's necessarily a better place to live with out a car though. I would think living in a dense, walkable neighborhood with all the amenities one needs is a bit more important than being able to take a train to the airport or some tourist attractions. Haven't heard much on that end with Atlanta yet regarding neighborhoods.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:16 PM

507 posts, read 807,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Atlanta also has a better rail system than Seattle too, doesn't mean it's necessarily a better place to live with out a car though. I would think living in a dense, walkable neighborhood with all the amenities one needs is a bit more important than being able to take a train to the airport or some tourist attractions. Haven't heard much on that end with Atlanta yet regarding neighborhoods.
This is exactly why I created this thread

Old 08-08-2013, 08:34 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,797,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Is San Diego Seattle?NO.I live downtown Atlanta.My house and neighborhood is less than a 10 minute walk to the subway station.I know its hard for some of you to believe but not everybody in Atlanta live in the suburbs stuck in traffic everyday.
Further more I have a roommate from Spain that rides his bike to and from Georgia Tech which is about 10 minutes by car.He could ride MARTA as he did when he first got here but he prefers to bike it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City