Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What sunny beach state would you rather live?
Florida 45 22.73%
Hawaii 60 30.30%
South East Texas 9 4.55%
Southern California 84 42.42%
Voters: 198. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 04:57 PM

28,896 posts, read 53,932,532 times

Advertisements

If we're talking about the beach itself? Nothing really compares to that stretch of sand between Fort Morgan, Alabama, and Panama City Beach, Florida.

If we're talking about scenery and environment off the beach, that's a lot more subjective. Hawaii is spectacular. California is nice but crowded. South Florida? Fuhgeddaboutit. Texas? Only been to Galveston, so I might not be a good judge, but I didn't like the beach there at all.

And, really, it's not just the beach. It's WHERE you are on the beach and what you enjoy. Hey, if you are looking to party all night and burn off your hangover the next day, it's Miami Beach. If you're a grown up and want to chill, then it's the Alabama/Florida Gulf Coast or some isolated place in Hawaii.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2014, 05:35 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,832,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
If we're talking about the beach itself? Nothing really compares to that stretch of sand between Fort Morgan, Alabama, and Panama City Beach, Florida.

If we're talking about scenery and environment off the beach, that's a lot more subjective. Hawaii is spectacular. California is nice but crowded. South Florida? Fuhgeddaboutit. Texas? Only been to Galveston, so I might not be a good judge, but I didn't like the beach there at all.

And, really, it's not just the beach. It's WHERE you are on the beach and what you enjoy. Hey, if you are looking to party all night and burn off your hangover the next day, it's Miami Beach. If you're a grown up and want to chill, then it's the Alabama/Florida Gulf Coast or some isolated place in Hawaii.
Not surprised that SoCal is winning this poll, as Hawaii, although fascinating, is very isolated, and FL/TX are just too hot..

Last edited by MassVt; 03-31-2014 at 06:17 PM..

Old 03-31-2014, 06:11 PM

28,896 posts, read 53,932,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Not surprised that SoCal is winning this poll, as Hawaii, althugh fascinating, is very isolated, and FL/TX are just too hot..
That's kind of a relative thing. Personally, there's nothing appealing about the frigid water off the Southern California coast.

And that's sort of the point. To me, the ideal beach is one that isn't wall-to-wall with people. It doesn't have 5,000 nightclubs and bars on the beach. It's the kind of place where you can hear yourself think and relax with a book and a beer under your beach umbrella.

Meanwhile there are those who thrive off that kind of stuff. More power to them. It's just not for me.

Old 03-31-2014, 07:10 PM

20,499 posts, read 33,299,328 times
Quote:

It really isn't. Again, the best beach in Texas is down there south of Corpus. But again, it still doesn't belong in the conversation with these three.

Old 03-31-2014, 07:17 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,524,080 times
Quote:
That's kind of a relative thing. Personally, there's nothing appealing about the frigid water off the Southern California coast.

And that's sort of the point. To me, the ideal beach is one that isn't wall-to-wall with people. It doesn't have 5,000 nightclubs and bars on the beach. It's the kind of place where you can hear yourself think and relax with a book and a beer under your beach umbrella.

Meanwhile there are those who thrive off that kind of stuff. More power to them. It's just not for me.
That's one of the reasons I live most of my life enveloped in air.

Old 09-24-2017, 12:57 AM

2,452 posts, read 2,270,739 times
As others have alluded to, this is indeed quite a loaded question. Therefore, I have various ranks for each aspect, best to worst from top to bottom. Feel free to reply with any questions or comments:

Winter Climate:
Hawaii
South Florida
Central Florida/South Texas (tie)
Southern California
North Florida

Summer Climate:
Hawaii
Central Florida/North Florida/South Florida (tie)
South Texas
Southern California

Overall Climate:
Hawaii
South Florida
Central Florida
North Florida/South Texas
Southern California

Beach Aesthetics (sand and water at the beach):
Hawaii
South Florida
Central Florida/North Florida/South Texas (tie)
Southern California

Beach Aesthetics (natural scenery around the beach):
Hawaii
Southern California/South Florida/Central Florida/North Florida (tie)
South Texas

Beach Aesthetics (built environment of beach cities):
South Florida
Southern California
Central Florida
Hawaii
North Florida
South Texas

How The Beaches Leverage Culture:
Hawaii
Southern California
South Florida
Central Florida
North Florida
South Texas

Old 09-15-2023, 10:26 AM

12,734 posts, read 9,348,639 times
I voted for California. Both, on second thought, both the water and air temp are generally too cold to frolic. Probably Hawaii

Old 09-15-2023, 10:52 AM

16,626 posts, read 29,278,105 times
Hawaiʻi.

Old 09-15-2023, 01:43 PM

152 posts, read 119,751 times
I lived on the island of Oahu. I didn't live on the beach. I lived somewhat near the beach though. The weather is regulated by the ocean at a constant 80-85 degrees which is excellent no complaints there . My only gripe with Hawaii in my experience is that the locals aren't really friendly in fact they are kind of cliquish and sometimes hostile especially if your'e white. I mean I made a few friends in Hawaii but it was kind of frustrating at times. Southern California is where I am from and I have lived on the beach for a few years. It was nice. The water isn't as warm as Hawaii's but there's more different climate regions ie deserts mountains valley etc and more stuff to do than Hawaii.

Old 09-15-2023, 02:32 PM

968 posts, read 512,965 times
Southern California climate. 100%.

Hawaiian beaches and Florida beaches are very beautiful, would be great to visit but I am currently suffering the 91% of humidity with 74 Dew Point in 76 degree at 3:13 AM in subtropical Asia, and I’m right on the coast. My parents’ house literally sits by the Pacific Ocean and the mountain. (whoever embraces urban walkability should try to walk in the high humidity. I’m turning down all kinds of social invites because I almost just want Uber everywhere.-and I love to walk!. No, I have now a perfectly legit licence, physically and medically, to never live in humidity again.)

Florida coastal climate is perfect for winter, absolutely. Hawaii has the most perfect scenery among all. Both can be very humid however. I’ve never been to South Texas so can’t comment. For overall all-year round coastal climate to live though: Southern California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City