Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you rather live?
Canada 98 36.98%
United States 167 63.02%
Voters: 265. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 11:12 AM

1,741 posts, read 2,606,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjun18 View Post
A lot of people feel the same way about New Mexico, actually.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
That si true. If New Mexico became its own country tomorrow, I think 90% of the U.S. population wouldn't care very much.
Ah yes. Let's bash New Mexico because you don't like what one poster from here has to say.

It's a pity if you all are right and most of the country doesn't care about New Mexico or its status as one of the United States.

An even bigger pity is that some in the United States don't even know we are part of the country or that we aren't part of Mexico.

I guarantee you, however, that New Mexico wouldn't have an easy go of it in trying to break away and form its own country. No state would. Why? Because every state plays an integral part of the Union.

It's quite easy to dismiss entire states on an internet forum when having a disagreement, but I think you'll find it's quite hard to do in real life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 11:45 AM

10,725 posts, read 23,662,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
That si true. If New Mexico became its own country tomorrow, I think 90% of the U.S. population wouldn't care very much.
Oh really? Did you actually take a poll to measure the accuracy of your ignorant assumption?

Yeah, let's set up border checkpoints on I-40 and I-10 at the TX and AZ state lines (just a minor inconvenience), ditch the Los Alamos and Sandia laboratories, shut down Kirtland AFB, hault all the oil and gas production here in NM (America should be buying more foreign oil and gas anyway), close down the National Radio Astronomy Observatory, relocate the Intel plant and Northrop Grumman, and while we're at it shut down Virgin Galactic's operations at Spaceport America (or at least rename it) just for good measure. Because you know if NM were no longer an American state, it wouldn't even be worthy of a media headline.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 08-27-2013 at 12:11 PM..

Old 08-27-2013, 12:24 PM

10,725 posts, read 23,662,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
I quite like the average American citizen. What I don't like is the way the country has completely blown it's chance to really be that "Shining city on a hill" since the end of WW2. At one time it really looked like the USA could really lead the nations into a new and more just civilization. But NO you haven't because of the folly of taking up the mantle of the ex colonial powers and instead of progressing have regressed into the worst sort of Imperial corpocracy. American freedoms are being attacked at all points, the gulf between the haves and have nots is growing bigger and bigger. The country is spiralling down as all empires have and NOTHING is being done to stop that. The rulers of the country so obviously don't give a rats azz about the people, are owned lock stock and barrel by special interests and there they uselessly sit while the country burns down around their heads.

Of course I don't wish any person harm and in fact I wish them health, wealth and prosperity. It`s the people who have gotten ahold of the country I despise. Billionaires who begrudge the working man a good wage. Bankers who collapse the world`s economy and instead of going to jail get paid off with hundreds of billions of taxpayers dollars just to gear up to repeat the same thing again. How many homes were illegally taken from the folks who lived in them. Is that the USA you are proud of.
Unfortunately, this is completely accurate and lucknow has articulated it very well. The truth is too inconvenient for most people to handle and many will dismiss this as jealousy or envy of America. Whatever. Obviously this poster cares about America enough to a certain degree to be this well informed, and many Americans would rather ignore the truth and tote divisive political party lines or tune into conditioned media headlines with feeble minded distractions (Miley Cyrus anyone?).

America is not the greatest country anymore - "The Newsroom" - YouTube

I love my country, and even prefer it to Canada and I don't like the direction it's going in.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 08-27-2013 at 12:34 PM..

Old 08-27-2013, 07:56 PM

2,423 posts, read 4,298,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQalex View Post
Ah yes. Let's bash New Mexico because you don't like what one poster from here has to say.

It's a pity if you all are right and most of the country doesn't care about New Mexico or its status as one of the United States.

An even bigger pity is that some in the United States don't even know we are part of the country or that we aren't part of Mexico.

I guarantee you, however, that New Mexico wouldn't have an easy go of it in trying to break away and form its own country. No state would. Why? Because every state plays an integral part of the Union.

It's quite easy to dismiss entire states on an internet forum when having a disagreement, but I think you'll find it's quite hard to do in real life.
Oh will you pipe down and chill out!

Old 08-27-2013, 07:58 PM

2,423 posts, read 4,298,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Oh really? Did you actually take a poll to measure the accuracy of your ignorant assumption?

Yeah, let's set up border checkpoints on I-40 and I-10 at the TX and AZ state lines (just a minor inconvenience), ditch the Los Alamos and Sandia laboratories, shut down Kirtland AFB, hault all the oil and gas production here in NM (America should be buying more foreign oil and gas anyway), close down the National Radio Astronomy Observatory, relocate the Intel plant and Northrop Grumman, and while we're at it shut down Virgin Galactic's operations at Spaceport America (or at least rename it) just for good measure. Because you know if NM were no longer an American state, it wouldn't even be worthy of a media headline.
Yeah I did! I tell you I was just as shocked by the results as you were. I tell you these, crazy Amiraclans.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:22 PM

15,106 posts, read 15,735,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Canada needs the US way more than the other way around imo. Well, it doesn't necessarily need the US...
Its a totally stupid argument reserved for children to say who needs one more than the other.. without this partnership both countries would be immeasurably weaker.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityKing View Post
The only reason Canada is a safe place to live is because it uses the United States as a cushion from danger.

If Canada were disconnected from the continent nobody would care about it.
Not really - in the absence of the U.S - Canada would have developed a more powerful military (and easily could have become a nuclear power btw). It was a big part of American geopolitics that curbed the strength of Canada's power in favour of its own Western Hemispheric and more broadly its global objectives. As the countries developed a more integrated economy, similar way of life and strategic objectives almost in parallel - the relationship just developed this way. Canada didn't object because there was no sense in it doing so.. having military tension served no goal for Canada.. The U.S is more than happy being the protective family member.. in exchange the countries have the most productive relationship between two countries in the history of the world.

I'm not a big fan of politicians on either side of the border both historically and currently - but fortunately they are more reasonable and level headed than some of the posters in here.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:39 PM

14,460 posts, read 11,213,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
I would choose Canada hands down. Not one tiny little bit consideration for the USA. Though I like many things about the USA I despise the political system, I hate the US foreign policies, I hate the fragmentation of the people due to differences of opinion, I hate the culture of celebrity although we have many azzhats who are into that garbage here also. I hate the propaganda and lies Americans are fed every day of their lives from the day they can first understand language till the day they die. I hate corporatism and the USA is becoming more and more fascist in that respect every day. I value freedom and here in Canada were are infinitely more free than Americans are in their near police state. I hate racism in all of it's forms and that is a prime feature of the USA. I hate the American unjustice system that is far more concerned with political considerations than justice.
Yeah but we don't have to show photo IDs when we vote.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQalex View Post

They are just jealous of the Land of Enchantments beauty and you know what - they should be

Besides in 100 years - Spaceport America will be the most famous portal on earth

Old 08-27-2013, 08:42 PM

14,460 posts, read 11,213,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Its a totally stupid argument reserved for children to say who needs one more than the other.. without this partnership both countries would be immeasurably weaker.
Agreed, look who's on our southern border.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City