Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is more cultural and iconic?
Chicago 113 31.04%
Los Angeles 251 68.96%
Voters: 364. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 12:57 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,558,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
The butthurt is strong here.
I love 500 word diatribes triggered by a single dismissive sentence. Those are my favorite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2014, 01:02 PM

409 posts, read 587,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Why would you want anybody in the world to have negative opinions of your city? This makes zero sense. In the end, it has an impact for tourism, which I'm sorry to say, is vital to most large US cities.
Except that LA is a gigantic global center for tourism and visitors, and super-desirable, so the claimed "everyone hates LA" on this thread doesn't seem to be true.

Anecdotally, I have never heard "LA sucks for visiting" except on C-D. What sucks about visiting LA? Super-cosmopolitan, fantastic weather, iconic, beaches, mountains, glamour, etc. Should someone visit Milwaukee or Kansas City instead because they have older buildings and more traditional layout? LOL.

Old 04-18-2014, 01:02 PM

515 posts, read 1,058,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
When people think of the United States, especially foreigners, which city's culture and icons are more prominent?

Is it Chicago with its ultra modern, sleek, and spiraling downtown, Willis Tower (formerly Sears Tower)and Loop?

Or is it Los Angeles with Hollywood, movie stars, beaches, and Beverly Hills?

This is not to discuss which city is better, more well off, safer, etc. Just which one sticks out more, which one is a greater producer of culture, which one comes to mind first when people think of the United States. Have at it!
Well I think Los Angeles/Hollywood is much better known globably. Not really much of a match up if you ask me...

Old 04-18-2014, 01:04 PM

437 posts, read 628,529 times
Quote:
Why would you want anybody in the world to have negative opinions of your city? This makes zero sense. In the end, it has an impact for tourism, which I'm sorry to say, is vital to most large US cities.
I understand but its a recurring theme, people from other cities having negative opinions about LA is very common, so let them hate and talk smack all they want, one of the biggest misconceptions is that everyone is fake and shallow, what they instead end up finding is something completely different unless you actively seek for the Hollywood types.

Old 04-18-2014, 01:16 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,905,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Standard111 View Post
Except that LA is a gigantic global center for tourism and visitors, and super-desirable, so the claimed "everyone hates LA" on this thread doesn't seem to be true.

Anecdotally, I have never heard "LA sucks for visiting" except on C-D. What sucks about visiting LA? Super-cosmopolitan, fantastic weather, iconic, beaches, mountains, glamour, etc. Should someone visit Milwaukee or Kansas City instead because they have older buildings and more traditional layout? LOL.
Not sure why you're responding to my question about that. All I said was that tourism is vital for big US cities which is true - revenue for the city, keeping taxes lower for residents, being able to fund new projects through it, etc. I never said LA sucks or even sucks for visiting. You're confusing me with other posters. Half my family lives in LA and I'm always excited to visit the city.

Last edited by marothisu; 04-18-2014 at 01:27 PM..

Old 04-18-2014, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Standard111 View Post

It kind of sucks if you are visiting by car..the traffic is horrendous. But aside from that, it's quite an insteresting city with plenty to see and do. I was just over there last Summer. Hollywood is kind of a disappointment though..not as glamourous etc and all as you are led to expect..

Old 04-18-2014, 01:28 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,905,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melchior6 View Post
It kind of sucks if you are visiting by car..the traffic is horrendous. But aside from that, it's quite an insteresting city with plenty to see and do. I was just over there last Summer. Hollywood is kind of a disappointment though..not as glamourous etc and all as you are led to expect..
LOL, agreed. So many places in the world like that which are let downs. It's like going to the Statue of Liberty and realizing it's not 500 feet tall like TV makes you believe.

Old 04-18-2014, 01:31 PM

409 posts, read 587,313 times
Quote:
Hollywood is kind of a disappointment though..not as glamourous etc and all as you are led to expect..
I agree that Hollywood generally sucks and, yes, in LA, as a visitor, you're tethered to your car.

But Hollywood is just a tiny part of LA, and most parts of the U.S. are heavily car-oriented. I personally enjoy driving LA. Few urban drives are more appealing than Sunset or Mulholland, IMO.

Old 04-18-2014, 01:31 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,990,420 times
Quote:
It kind of sucks if you are visiting by car..the traffic is horrendous. But aside from that, it's quite an insteresting city with plenty to see and do. I was just over there last Summer. Hollywood is kind of a disappointment though..not as glamourus etc and all as you are led to expect..
It's because people confuse Hollywood the industry with Hollywood the neighborhood. Only one major studio is left in Hollywood (Paramount Pictures), and they are on Melrose not Hollywood Blvd. All the major studios moved out a long time ago to places like Burbank, Culver City, & West LA. So I think people want Hollywood Blvd to be just as glamorous as their favorite actor/artist which it just isn't. Although, Hollywood is starting to see gentrification and more offices for post/pre production and other creative industries being built on Sunset Blvd.

When the Expo Line from DTLA to Santa Monica is finished next year, that will change A LOT of perceptions about LA's mobility for outsiders.

Old 04-18-2014, 01:36 PM

Quote:
LOL, agreed. So many places in the world like that which are let downs. It's like going to the Statue of Liberty and realizing it's not 500 feet tall like TV makes you believe.
Yes, and I forgot to mention that Venice Beach was a bit of a surprise too..kind of gritty with a lot of bums and wierdos..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City