Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is more cultural and iconic?
Chicago 113 31.04%
Los Angeles 251 68.96%
Voters: 364. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 12:00 AM

112 posts, read 136,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
^^the argument over skylines, I am saying I prefer Chicago's to LA's by quite a bit
Ummm you're the only one bringing up skylines
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2014, 07:37 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,972,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
^^the argument over skylines, I am saying I prefer Chicago's to LA's by quite a bit
Except you included a lot of unrelated cities. Unnecessary.

Old 05-10-2014, 11:49 AM

2,694 posts, read 3,188,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
Chicagoans have been really preoccupied lately with this decline talk

Chicago= New Detroit?

What's all this about?
Because fixing the pension problem is the hot topic in the city and the state of Illinois at large right now. Long story short, someone going's to get screwed, and all the various groups are fighting tooth and nail to make sure it's not going to be them. The current setup cannot continue.

You remove the pension talk from the equation and no one is worried about Chicago's decline. It's about fixing a severely broken system so Chicago doesn't turn into a place like Detroit in the future. That's why when Detroit declared bankruptcy you couldn't go a day without another article about so-and-so city being the new Detroit because *insert city* was in so much debt.

Old 05-10-2014, 12:00 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,989,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
Because fixing the pension problem is the hot topic in the city and the state of Illinois at large right now. Long story short, someone going's to get screwed, and all the various groups are fighting tooth and nail to make sure it's not going to be them. The current setup cannot continue.

You remove the pension talk from the equation and no one is worried about Chicago's decline. It's about fixing a severely broken system so Chicago doesn't turn into a place like Detroit in the future. That's why when Detroit declared bankruptcy you couldn't go a day without another article about so-and-so city being the new Detroit because *insert city* was in so much debt.
Chicago is a world class city whether people like to admit it or not, its world class. There are people in dumps like China, India, Vietnam, Thailand, UK, UAE, Saudi Arabia, NK, etc that would trade a nut to live in Chicago over the polluted, poorer, grimy, sleazy holes they live in now.

Why is Chicago's financial state such a mess for a world class city?

Last edited by scrantiX; 05-10-2014 at 01:06 PM..

Old 05-10-2014, 01:13 PM

Financial mismanagement that goes back decades coming from both Chicago's and Illinois' governments. Many parts of the pension program--including the multiplier that the city uses in order to figure out how much it should be paying into the program in addition to any possible reform of said system--are all governed by Springfield and not Chicago.

These might shed some more light on the issue:
The roots of Chicago
Chicago

Old 05-10-2014, 06:04 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,401,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
Financial mismanagement that goes back decades coming from both Chicago's and Illinois' governments. Many parts of the pension program--including the multiplier that the city uses in order to figure out how much it should be paying into the program in addition to any possible reform of said system--are all governed by Springfield and not Chicago.

These might shed some more light on the issue:
The roots of Chicago
Chicago
It's worth noting that most of those people in "Springfield" are representatives from Chicago or the metro area--it is largely a Chicago problem and it is largely Chicagoans that are responsible for fixing it.

Old 05-10-2014, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
It's worth noting that most of those people in "Springfield" are representatives from Chicago or the metro area--it is largely a Chicago problem and it is largely Chicagoans that are responsible for fixing it.
Very true. What I was getting it though was that this isn't a problem that Rahm and the City Council can fix themselves. Other Chicagoans (Chicaoglanders?) can help to fix it, but the city can't take the necessary steps until they get the ok from Springfield.

Old 07-18-2014, 04:03 PM

178 posts, read 175,464 times
Perhaps today LA is more globally known due to Hollywood but you guys can have Hollywood without it what exactly is LA? I think LA I think Hollywood that's it, like a fake pair of boobs. I never read so many comments propping Hollywood I mean it's not real it's entertainment. Chicago has history signfiance that LA cannot touch that means more to me then entertainment. From our sports teams to some very important events in USA and world history has occurred here. That's the stuff that really matters in the overall scheme of things. The fact is LA is more widely know today through out the world perhaps, but go ask your parents and grandparents which city has had a longer more prominently embedded in their memories and I bet Chicago comes to mind many more times than la.

Old 07-18-2014, 09:14 PM

2,436 posts, read 2,793,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownsFinest View Post
Perhaps today LA is more globally known due to Hollywood but you guys can have Hollywood without it what exactly is LA? I think LA I think Hollywood that's it, like a fake pair of boobs. I never read so many comments propping Hollywood I mean it's not real it's entertainment. Chicago has history signfiance that LA cannot touch that means more to me then entertainment. From our sports teams to some very important events in USA and world history has occurred here. That's the stuff that really matters in the overall scheme of things. The fact is LA is more widely know today through out the world perhaps, but go ask your parents and grandparents which city has had a longer more prominently embedded in their memories and I bet Chicago comes to mind many more times than la.
It is quite obvious you've never stepped foot in Los Angeles and don't know anything about Los Angeles. You are generalizing WAY too much.

Old 07-18-2014, 09:46 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,643,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
It is quite obvious you've never stepped foot in Los Angeles and don't know anything about Los Angeles. You are generalizing WAY too much.
Nah, he's spot on. We're all Hollywood actors. All 10 million of us in LA county.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City