Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2013, 06:47 AM

1,612 posts, read 2,419,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadgirl80 View Post
I asked you point blank if the alleged fame of Harvard really translates to global fame of Boston (MIT is OUT of this commercialized global fame list) then why don't foreigners, non Americans, worldwide know about New Haven and you obviously were stumped! LOL.
Harvard is much more famous than Yale, so your analogy doesn't make sense.

And obviously New Haven isn't an equivalent to Boston, or even Cambridge, so it's much less known.

Yale is part of the NYC metro area, and most people know its general location in Connecticut, but it is quite far from NYC, so won't automatically be grouped with NYC the way Harvard is grouped with Boston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2013, 06:52 AM

151 posts, read 162,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiVegas View Post
I think this is the whole point. Chicago is excellent, yet doesn't have the same recognition as the Ivy League and its equivalents (Stanford, MIT).

It isn't even the best known school in Illinois, I don't think.
I beg to differ.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/colle...wn-across.html

Old 09-06-2013, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullocity View Post
I think you're wrong. U of Illinois is definitely better known. Possibly Northwestern too.

And what does that silly poll have to do with the conversation? You created the poll!

Old 09-06-2013, 07:03 AM

647 posts, read 1,216,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Who is talking about rankings? We were talking about what is well known...
MIT is not as well known as Harvard and Yale globally to laymen.

Old 09-06-2013, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Harvard is much more famous than Yale, so your analogy doesn't make sense.

And obviously New Haven isn't an equivalent to Boston, or even Cambridge, so it's much less known.

Yale is part of the NYC metro area, and most people know its general location in Connecticut, but it is quite far from NYC, so won't automatically be grouped with NYC the way Harvard is grouped with Boston.
NO. He was talking about how a school's international fame will impact the city.

You're sidestepping my question.

First, foreigners do NOT know of Yale's "general location in Connecticut". We're not talking about Americans. Yeah? But foreigners who are NOT living in the US, and have never lived in the USA. Most foreigners do not know Connecticut.

Second, if its part of NYC metro area, are you saying Yale's fame impacts NYC? Then you later on seem to backtrack on your own statement and then say its quite far from NYC, so won't automatically be grouped. Please, make up your mind.

Yale is IN New Haven, thats the city and the state is Connecticut. Foreigners KNOW YALE, I can assure you that WITHOUT a doubt. They know Harvard, they know Yale. Most do not know MIT. They DO NOT KNOW NEW HAVEN OR CONNECTICUT.

I am actually living abroad now.

Old 09-06-2013, 07:11 AM

Quote:
I think you're wrong. U of Illinois is definitely better known. Possibly Northwestern too.

And what does that silly poll have to do with the conversation? You created the poll!
Can you confirm then? I mean you seem so sure, surly you have evidence to back it up.

I love it how posters dismiss any point you bring up, but somehow they are right without showing evidence or anything.

Hey my silly poll is a lot more than what you have provided which is NOTHING.

Old 09-06-2013, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullocity View Post
Can you confirm then? I mean you seem so sure, surly you have evidence to back it up.

I love it how posters dismiss any point you bring up, but somehow they are right without showing evidence or anything.

Hey my silly poll is a lot more than what you have provided which is NOTHING.
I just read through the string of posts.

U of Illinois the safety school better known than U of Chicago.... I'm laughing so hard. He probably thinks Chicago is a public school coz of the name as well...

Old 09-06-2013, 07:40 AM

Quote:

U of Illinois the safety school better known than U of Chicago.... I'm laughing so hard. He probably thinks Chicago is a public school coz of the name as well...
Uhm since when is UofI a safety school?! It's a very reputable school, it's just University of Chicago is better known around the globe and more prestigious as well. But don't down play UofI either.

Old 09-06-2013, 07:40 AM

Quote:
MIT is not as well known as Harvard and Yale globally to laymen.
Probably true. Yale is better known than MIT, I think if we're talking globally, and to laymen.

Princeton and Stanford too, and possibly Columbia.

Old 09-06-2013, 07:42 AM

Quote:

I don't understand what the relative difficulty of admission has to do with the global recognition.

Deep Springs College is incredibly hard to get into. How many people have heard of Deep Springs College?

In contrast, Ohio State has relatively simple admissions requirements (for undergrads). Anyone here not hear of Ohio State?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City