Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best culture overall
Chicago 34 50.75%
Los Angeles 33 49.25%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 12:21 AM

9,828 posts, read 9,409,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
http://www.artsjournal.com/slippeddisc/2012/12/the-results-best-and-worst-orchestras-of-2012.html

There are 841 museums and art galleries in Los Angeles County.[69] In fact, Los Angeles has more museums per capita than any other city in the world.[69]

Los Angeles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In case anyone missed these ^^^^

Los Angeles is very much a hot spot for contemporary art at the moment. Here's a recent (in a string) of NYTs articles on the subject:

Hello, Babylon! The Art World Is Cheating on New York With Los Angeles | Gallerist | Daily chronicle of the art world for artists, gallery owners and collectors

Los Angeles is also the #2 fashion center in the United States. It is currently ranked as the 9th fashion center in the world (by whoever the hell does the rankings) and was ranked 5th two years ago.

Oh, and the city got some great news on the cultural front today:

http://www.latimes.com/local/la-me-0...,7345420.story

Last edited by RaymondChandlerLives; 08-29-2013 at 12:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 12:33 AM

810 posts, read 1,341,841 times
Average visitor will probably go on & on about how weird so many people in LA were to them, or how they are for equal rights, but saw gay men holding hands and that was offensive and saw too many transgendered. Or people who generally looked sleazy/trashy since the grunge look is one of those LA things. Too many women with implants might come up as well.

You can see all of this in Chicago as well, but it's such a different city and anything "alternative" isn't as integrated as in LA. The culture is so much more conservative, although the city itself votes more democrat than LA.

LA you might see edgier street style than NYC, but NYC has a closer connection with the high-end European fashion houses and a more important fashion week.

Old 08-29-2013, 09:26 AM

555 posts, read 591,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trancedout View Post
Average visitor will probably go on & on about how weird so many people in LA were to them, or how they are for equal rights, but saw gay men holding hands and that was offensive and saw too many transgendered. Or people who generally looked sleazy/trashy since the grunge look is one of those LA things. Too many women with implants might come up as well.

You can see all of this in Chicago as well, but it's such a different city and anything "alternative" isn't as integrated as in LA. The culture is so much more conservative, although the city itself votes more democrat than LA.

LA you might see edgier street style than NYC, but NYC has a closer connection with the high-end European fashion houses and a more important fashion week.
Good observations

Old 08-29-2013, 09:35 AM

2,421 posts, read 4,316,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flotard View Post
Good observations
You really have a passion for Chicago I am noticing. Everytime a thread pops up on it there you are. Glad that Chicago moves and intrigues you.

Although, I never see you in the Chicago boards. What are you scared or something?

Old 08-29-2013, 09:55 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,496,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown1 View Post
Absolutely. That's why the Michelin guide packed up and left L.A.
Uhh no, Michelin guide is based on a sales market/economic reasons only. Don't be surprised if they leave Chicago eventually, too. And if Michelin guide is the be all end all, how come they did Los Angeles and Las Vegas before Chicago? Perhaps they thought their restaurant scenes were better? Or that Chicago only recently has good restaurants? Vegas and LA both had more 2 and 3 star restaurants than Chicago when they were published.

Cities by Michelin 2-3 star restaurants...

NYC = 14
SF and Wine Country = 8
LA = 4
Las Vegas = 4
Chicago = 3

Of course, Chicago has a good food scene, but over relying on "lists" instead of your own experience or own research into it often backfires... as seen here..

Last edited by grapico; 08-29-2013 at 10:16 AM..

Old 08-29-2013, 11:51 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown1 View Post
New York city aside....just wanna know how folks at C-D think which city has the best culture overall. You can use the same criteria defined by Travel & Leisure.

* Classical music
* Theater/performance art
* Street performers
* Museums/galleries
* Historical sites/monuments
* Free attractions

Best Culture in U.S. Cities

"Each year Travel & leisure posts an online survey asking Americans what they like—and don't like—about 35 large U.S. cities and use the poll results to rank the cities based on a variety of topics, including most intelligent, most attractive, and best culture. The following table lists the 25 best U.S. Cities for culture in 2010." - Travel & Leisure

America's Favorite Cities 2012 - Culture | Travel + Leisure
I was born and raised in Los Angeles, they have so much diversity and so much to offer, but I still voted Chicago. of course, remember culture means something different to everyone. That is why this is a question with no real answer. Now ask us who has the better baseball teams?

Old 08-29-2013, 11:58 AM

2,217 posts, read 3,899,460 times
I voted Chicago.

When I think of culture Hollywood and the superficial lifestyle is not what I think of.

Love L.A. but would easily choose cities like Chicago, Philadelphia, and Boston over it as far as culture.

Old 08-29-2013, 12:12 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUMRE75 View Post
I voted Chicago.

When I think of culture Hollywood and the superficial lifestyle is not what I think of.

Love L.A. but would easily choose cities like Chicago, Philadelphia, and Boston over it as far as culture.
What does that have to do with the OP's criteria?

* Classical music
* Theater/performance art
* Street performers
* Museums/galleries
* Historical sites/monuments
* Free attractions

Old 08-29-2013, 12:12 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,409,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUMRE75 View Post
I voted Chicago.

Forget Hollywood for a second.

Does Chicago have a better art scene than L.A.? No.
A livlier music scene? No.
Fashion scene? No.
More diverse/ethnic enclaves? No.
Free concerts/events? Probably not.
More museums? No.

Even if you handicap L.A. and ignore Hollywood, it bests Chicago.

Last edited by RaymondChandlerLives; 08-29-2013 at 12:30 PM..

Old 08-29-2013, 12:30 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,845,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Forget Hollywood for a second.

Chicago have a better art scene than L.A.? No.
Livelier music scene? No.
Fashion scene? No.
More diverse/ethnic enclaves? No.
Free concerts/events? Probably not.
More museums? No.

Even if you handicap L.A. and ignore Hollywood, it bests Chicago.
For me it really depends on the decade for music scenes. In the early 80s, it was definitely LA with SST Records, late 80s and early 90s were all Chicago with Touch and Go Records, 00s I prefer Los Angeles groups, particular the scene from The Smell in DTLA. I'd say overall it's a toss up with Los Angeles putting out a lot more garbage than Chicago, though probably more quality acts as well.

But the Hollywood / superficiality thing is ridiculous. That is like judging all of NYC on Wall Street - it's like 5% of the population that is heavily in that scene.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City