U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-14-2007, 02:46 PM
 
8 posts, read 19,507 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Dear All,

I am a nurse and I received 3 offers to work in diffrent cities: Houston, Phoenix and Charlotte. Hard decision. I have been checking all websites to research the best city but it is difficult when you are fare.
Well I have to make a decision soon and I thought that here would be the best place to ask.
I am married and I have a son. So school is extremelly important,this include good education and security. The jobs will be in the Medical center in Houston, The ne cancer hospital Phoenix or the cancer hospital in Charlotte.
Please I will really appreciate if you could give me ideas of life cost, transport, schooll, houses, taxs, etc.

Note that I am in Britsol Uk

Thank you all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-14-2007, 02:48 PM
 
Location: Fort Mill, SC (Charlotte 'burb)
4,730 posts, read 17,493,963 times
Reputation: 1008
I actually work for a British company in Charlotte. There are quite a few Brits around here because of this and there are also a few British pubs. I work with many people from the UK and they all love it here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2007, 02:53 PM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,270 posts, read 86,025,648 times
Reputation: 39664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotheuk View Post
Dear All,

I am a nurse and I received 3 offers to work in diffrent cities: Houston, Phoenix and Charlotte. Hard decision. I have been checking all websites to research the best city but it is difficult when you are fare.
Well I have to make a decision soon and I thought that here would be the best place to ask.
I am married and I have a son. So school is extremelly important,this include good education and security. The jobs will be in the Medical center in Houston, The ne cancer hospital Phoenix or the cancer hospital in Charlotte.
Please I will really appreciate if you could give me ideas of life cost, transport, schooll, houses, taxs, etc.

Note that I am in Britsol Uk

Thank you all.
Not that Charlotte is perfect, but do some reading about the problems in Houston and Phoenix, and Charlotte could easily be your "lessor of all evils". This is a very nice, family oriented city - great for raising kids in. We have nice areas all over the city to chose from, you'd have to give us a price range for rent or to buy before we could give you more specifics
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2007, 03:17 PM
 
Location: Fort Mill, SC (Charlotte 'burb)
4,730 posts, read 17,493,963 times
Reputation: 1008
Yes, the gang and illegal immigration is far worse in Phoenix and Atlanta, but we have it here to some degree. It's not widespread and the cops do a pretty good job with keeping it that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2007, 04:51 PM
 
1,156 posts, read 1,916,267 times
Reputation: 1067
The cost of living in Phoenix is much higher than Charlotte. I was considering a position there before I came to Charlotte. Housing is much more expensive in Phoenix.

I was also considering Houston but determined it was too far away from family. I do like Houston as a city, but the landscape is pretty boring. You would be close to the ocean, so that's a nice plus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2007, 06:37 PM
 
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
8 posts, read 31,153 times
Reputation: 13
I live in Phoenix/Scottsdale and am dreaming of my escape. I dont have kids so I cant comment on schools, but from what I hear and read I would want only a private school. Phoenix also has no sense of community or character and crime seems rather high.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2007, 07:44 PM
 
1,156 posts, read 1,916,267 times
Reputation: 1067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizan22 View Post
Phoenix also has no sense of community or character and crime seems rather high.
Same for Charlotte. I think that's a common theme in booming growth areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2007, 09:19 PM
 
Location: Sunny Phoenix Arizona...wishing for a beach.
4,299 posts, read 13,388,844 times
Reputation: 802
Quote:
Originally Posted by amploud View Post
The cost of living in Phoenix is much higher than Charlotte. I was considering a position there before I came to Charlotte. Housing is much more expensive in Phoenix.

I was also considering Houston but determined it was too far away from family. I do like Houston as a city, but the landscape is pretty boring. You would be close to the ocean, so that's a nice plus.
Oh no so fast with that one. The housing in Phoenix is deflating daily and deals are to be had right now. You can get a nice home for what you can buy one for in Charlotte. Phoenix is not California. Everything else in Phoenix is cheaper if you ask me. Property tax, State income tax, food, medical insurance. I even think my car insurance went up in Charlotte. NC is not cheap. I like Charlotte but it's not cheap compared to Phoenix. Compared to the NE yeah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2007, 09:22 PM
 
Location: Sunny Phoenix Arizona...wishing for a beach.
4,299 posts, read 13,388,844 times
Reputation: 802
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizan22 View Post
I live in Phoenix/Scottsdale and am dreaming of my escape. I dont have kids so I cant comment on schools, but from what I hear and read I would want only a private school. Phoenix also has no sense of community or character and crime seems rather high.
Now Scottsdale is $$$ but some areas of Charlotte are too. I will agree Phoenix has no sense of community and the crime stinks but so does some areas of Charlotte.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2007, 10:28 PM
 
Location: Cornelius NC
380 posts, read 1,592,249 times
Reputation: 190
We lived in Houston for 7 years and loved it. But you have to love hot weather for sure. I actually worked at the Medical Center. We lived in Clear Lake, near NASA, which is southeast of Houston. Clear Lake is great place to raise kids. Never been to Phoenix Will be living in Charlotte in 2 weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top