Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: East Coast vs. West Coast
East Coast 426 50.30%
West Coast 421 49.70%
Voters: 847. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 02:00 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,996,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
Then you could also argue the Gulf of Mexico/Caribbean Sea are an extension of the Atlantic Ocean.

Fair argument but I want to know why the easties twisted up their panties when I mentioned Hawaii. It only adds 1.4M people to the WC pop. Maybe looking at the pictures and the ecological diversity and natural splendors scared them. For a region with twice the population of the WC, they sure were quick to dismiss Hawaii. Makes me wonder...
I wouldn't say Alaska and Hawaii are West Coast since it's not part of the Contiguous US. I would just say those states are part of the Western United States but not the West Coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2013, 02:03 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,989,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I wouldn't say Alaska and Hawaii are West Coast since it's not part of the Contiguous US. I would just say those states are part of the Western United States but not the West Coast.
I think thats a fair premise. I could see why one says that. Alaska in particular is a longshot.

Hawaii, not so much. Especially with the interconnection in air routes and travel between it and the CA cities. To a lesser extent mimics the type of air route between NYC or Chicago to Florida.

Although oddly enough, Honolulu's largest network is Tokyo rather than LA but both are close.

Old 09-12-2013, 03:11 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,206,460 times
I would definitely consider Alaska and Hawaii West Coast. Alaska's scenery and population is a lot like that of the Pacific Northwest, and the weather in parts of Alaska is similar to that area as well. Hawaii, well, a lot of Hawaiians and Californians live in each other's states. California borrows a lot of its beach culture from Hawaii. And the scenery and laid-back pace of both states matches that West Coast lifestyle.

Old 09-12-2013, 03:33 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Oh we all do darling, but you are the sprawl champion by far. 'congrats'.
I am, personally? I'm honored.

Old 09-12-2013, 03:54 PM

1,660 posts, read 2,533,757 times
Born and raised on east coast now live in west coast. Other than the beaches in Florida and the history area, west coast wins hands down. Just so laid back

Old 09-12-2013, 04:30 PM

274 posts, read 518,613 times
Neither coast.

Old 09-12-2013, 04:31 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
Then you could also argue the Gulf of Mexico/Caribbean Sea are an extension of the Atlantic Ocean.

Fair argument but I want to know why the easties twisted up their panties when I mentioned Hawaii. It only adds 1.4M people to the WC pop. Maybe looking at the pictures and the ecological diversity and natural splendors scared them. For a region with twice the population of the WC, they sure were quick to dismiss Hawaii. Makes me wonder...
Umm b/c it's 2500 miles away? I was even trying to limit both to an equal area as seen in previous posts by knocking off most of Florida. I never mentioned Denver by the way. Las Vegas gets steams of visitors and transplants from LA/SD. Vegas and Boise are right near the borders of CA/OR

Old 09-12-2013, 10:38 PM

399 posts, read 882,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waviking24 View Post
Born and raised on east coast now live in west coast. Other than the beaches in Florida and the history area, west coast wins hands down. Just so laid back

Born and raised East Coast as well, and the West is best.

Old 09-12-2013, 10:39 PM

399 posts, read 882,625 times
East Coast = mostly the same

West Coast = mostly not

How many cities of the same type does one need?

If you live in NYC for example, how often are you visiting other cities? in fact, how often are you leaving your ****ing borough? Enough said.

West Coasters are less provinical, as they will drive long distances (of course you have to) but generally are more open and do more outdoor things up and down the Coast and around town, more laid back, progressive, liberal, etc.

East Coasters are traditional (kinda boring at times), hierarchal, more abrasive, and provincial.

Like I said, ill take about NYC through DC, and thats it. Im from Upstate NY and could do without all of it.

Old 09-13-2013, 12:40 AM

1,213 posts, read 3,608,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoorSeattle View Post
West Coasters are less provinical, as they will drive long distances (of course you have to) but generally are more open and do more outdoor things up and down the Coast and around town, more laid back, progressive, liberal, etc.
I grew up on the East Coast, but now live in California, and one thing that surprised me upon moving here was just how much more tolerance West Coasters have for long distance driving. In the East, driving 2-3 hours is considered a long drive, whereas out here, people regularly drive 4, 5, or even 6 hours without thinking much of it. I think frequently crossing various state borders and having to pay expensive tolls really creates a mental block on the east coast that simply doesn't exist as much out west where things are much more spread out.

On an unrelated note, it's also been my experience that West Coasters in general are much more open to trying (authentic) exotic foods, whereas East Coasters (in general) tend to prefer to stay in their comfort zones of pizza, cheesesteaks, hot dogs, and bagels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.