Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: East Coast vs. West Coast
East Coast 426 50.30%
West Coast 421 49.70%
Voters: 847. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 08:05 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,495,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
I always laugh when Texans try to defend their beaches and claim it is some kind of subtropical paradise . If TX beaches were that nice, it'd be well known for its beaches, just as SoCal, Florida, and Hawaii are known for theirs.
Finally something we can agree on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2013, 08:28 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,921,138 times
Quote:
I always laugh when Texans try to defend their beaches and claim it is some kind of subtropical paradise . If TX beaches were that nice, it'd be well known for its beaches, just as SoCal, Florida, and Hawaii are known for theirs.
First of all, I'm not a Texan.... just a traveler who just so happens to see potential in the beaches of the state, so there goes that assumption.

Second of all, beaches in the Southern part of Texas are nice subtropical paradises, especially Corpus to South Padre; If those beaches were advertised more, then more people would see the beauty. Its the same way how Alabama beaches have the exact same sugary white sand and sparkly blue water as the "Emerald Coast" in Destin, FL, yet people don't know that because Alabama doesn't really advertises its beaches as often as Florida.

Houston, too, was constructed on what was once subtropical paradise. However, such a paradise isn't readily visible to people due to the "business-only" mentality of the city, and the many negative effects of the industry. Once Houston starts focusing more on making its city "tourist friendly," I'm sure that many attempts will be made to recapture what was once pristine paradise.

Old 12-28-2013, 08:30 PM

669 posts, read 914,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Who said anything about people coming here from hot places so why bring that up?
I believe it was you that started this by trying to say the people from Moscow, London, Chicago, Minneapolis wouldn't find southern California ocean cold. Let me ask you this though, do you find the Northeast cold then? Most people from southern California do and yap on about it by saying things like "we have warmer weather! we have warmer weather!" all the time. It's one of their biggest talking points.

So do you feel that way? If you do you are portraying double standards here. Because it's not cold to people from Moscow, London, Chicago, Minneapolis.....

Last edited by yyuusr; 12-28-2013 at 08:45 PM..

Old 12-28-2013, 08:41 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,127,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yyuusr View Post
I believe it was you that started this by trying to say there people from Moscow, London, Chicago, Minneapolis wouldn't find southern California ocean cold. Let me ask you this though, do you find the Northeast cold then? Most people from southern California do and yap on about it by saying things like "we have warmer weather! we have warmer weather!" all the time. It's one of their biggest talking points.

So do you feel that way? If you do you are portraying double standards here. Because it's not cold to people from Moscow, London, Chicago, Minneapolis.....
It's hilarious how bias the poster you are replying to is. He has an extreme West Coast bias that he says erroneous things to boost anyone of the cities in the western part of the U.S.

Old 12-28-2013, 10:23 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,200,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
First of all, I'm not a Texan.... just a traveler who just so happens to see potential in the beaches of the state, so there goes that assumption.

Second of all, beaches in the Southern part of Texas are nice subtropical paradises, especially Corpus to South Padre; If those beaches were advertised more, then more people would see the beauty. Its the same way how Alabama beaches have the exact same sugary white sand and sparkly blue water as the "Emerald Coast" in Destin, FL, yet people don't know that because Alabama doesn't really advertises its beaches as often as Florida.

Houston, too, was constructed on what was once subtropical paradise. However, such a paradise isn't readily visible to people due to the "business-only" mentality of the city, and the many negative effects of the industry. Once Houston starts focusing more on making its city "tourist friendly," I'm sure that many attempts will be made to recapture what was once pristine paradise.
Alabama's Gulf Shores and Orange Beach are both known for their pristine beaches. They get families visiting in summer and college party people in spring break. Maybe not as much as Pensacola or Panama City Beach, but still a good number.

Old 12-28-2013, 10:28 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,921,138 times
Quote:
Alabama's Gulf Shores and Orange Beach are both known for their pristine beaches. They get families visiting in summer and college party people in spring break. Maybe not as much as Pensacola or Panama City Beach, but still a good number.
And that's what I mean. If Alabama was the "trendy" state like Florida that advertised its beaches consistently, then it would receive lots more visitors that it is at the moment.

And that is what is happening with TX. If Texas advertised its beaches more, then more people across the country would see the innate beauty.

Old 12-28-2013, 11:16 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,234,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yyuusr View Post
I believe it was you that started this by trying to say the people from Moscow, London, Chicago, Minneapolis wouldn't find southern California ocean cold. Let me ask you this though, do you find the Northeast cold then? Most people from southern California do and yap on about it by saying things like "we have warmer weather! we have warmer weather!" all the time. It's one of their biggest talking points.

I was born in and lived in the n.e. for years and lived in DC for over rwenty years and Seattle for 12. The fact is people get in the ocean here in southern California year around. Not everyday during the winter months but when its in the mid 80s like its been the past few days people flock to the beaches and do get in the water. I honestly never thought water temps were that big of a deal because people are in the waters at the beach when I go there which is often enough since I live about 3 miles from the beach.

Also I don't brag about the weather here but it sure is nice. Right now I couldn't live anywhere else. I been living here for the past 3 years and I love it here.

Old 12-29-2013, 12:56 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,132,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
And that's what I mean. If Alabama was the "trendy" state like Florida that advertised its beaches consistently, then it would receive lots more visitors that it is at the moment.

And that is what is happening with TX. If Texas advertised its beaches more, then more people across the country would see the innate beauty.
Yeah, that's it. The only thing wrong with Texas beaches is they don't advertise! How is it that you are the only one who has seen this?

South Padre Island is decent and at least the water isn't thick warm chocolate milk, as it is farther up the Texas coast, but it's still lame by most standards. Travel a bit and get back to us.

Old 12-29-2013, 03:00 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,132,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Sunshine View Post
Arrogance at it's finest.
It's "Arrogance at its finest."

Old 12-29-2013, 04:48 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,137,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
It's "Arrogance at its finest."
Way to make the point for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.