Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: East Coast vs. West Coast
East Coast 426 50.30%
West Coast 421 49.70%
Voters: 847. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 04:59 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,561,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Ugh. 15 degrees.
I know. It doesn't get Four Seasoney until 20 below.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2014, 05:10 PM

604 posts, read 1,521,147 times
Somewhat of an exaggeration by the media.

Old 01-02-2014, 05:15 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,142,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skihikeclimb View Post
Somewhat of an exaggeration by the media.
Considering it's a forecast ... we'll have to see whether it's an exaggeration or not.

Old 01-02-2014, 05:56 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Oh - what a tragedy. Those in warm states must be out of their minds wondering how we live in such brutal conditions. WHY don't I live somewhere nice and warm so I don't have to deal with winter?!

In all seriousness, though, yes, really. Our winter weather fluctuates greatly in my area. It hasn't been as cold as it's supposed to be tomorrow in 20 years. Two weeks ago it was nearly 70 degrees for 2-3 days. People were walking around with flip flops on. That was following 2 minor snowstorms in one week. All the snow melted and it rained. Now, it's snowing and cold again. Some winters are so mild we barely get snow. Some winters, there is snow on the ground for nearly 3 months straight (like 2010-2011). It depends. It's not always frigid and snowing. The media exaggerates things - living here, you'd know how it actually is and not what some website (who wants views and channels who want ratings) tells you. In reality, you really don't know what's coming in winters here until it happens. It's hard to predict because it could either be very mild or very cold and snowy.

Winters aren't as bad as those living elsewhere make it seem. No, we don't all go into hiding when it gets cold - and get this - some people actually like the cold weather and winter activities. Imagine that!! Some hate the cold weather - those people will tell you how miserable it is but in reality, it comes down to preference. We constantly get mocked for our weather in the Northeast and people don't seem to realize that there are people who like what winter brings. For some reason, people assume we automatically must hate it. Not true at all.

And anyway, this is a coast vs coast thread, not Southern CA versus Northeast thread. The further South you go, the milder winters are. Extreme Southern Florida is even tropical.

Old 01-02-2014, 08:35 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,910,554 times
East Coast all day

Old 01-02-2014, 08:41 PM

It's really not as bad as people make it. I was actually surprised at how many people are out in about.. This is my first winter living in NY and it's really not that bad. Plus I grew up in Miami I got tired of the Heat all the time especially on Christmas. Christmas felt like Christmas here in NY

Old 01-02-2014, 11:39 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,855,226 times
I was just outside. It's mostly wet and not too bad overall. Then again, I'm sure my opinion would be different if I was homeless.

Old 01-03-2014, 10:15 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,142,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Oh - what a tragedy. Those in warm states must be out of their minds wondering how we live in such brutal conditions. WHY don't I live somewhere nice and warm so I don't have to deal with winter?!

In all seriousness, though, yes, really. Our winter weather fluctuates greatly in my area. It hasn't been as cold as it's supposed to be tomorrow in 20 years. Two weeks ago it was nearly 70 degrees for 2-3 days. People were walking around with flip flops on. That was following 2 minor snowstorms in one week. All the snow melted and it rained. Now, it's snowing and cold again. Some winters are so mild we barely get snow. Some winters, there is snow on the ground for nearly 3 months straight (like 2010-2011). It depends. It's not always frigid and snowing. The media exaggerates things - living here, you'd know how it actually is and not what some website (who wants views and channels who want ratings) tells you. In reality, you really don't know what's coming in winters here until it happens. It's hard to predict because it could either be very mild or very cold and snowy.

Winters aren't as bad as those living elsewhere make it seem. No, we don't all go into hiding when it gets cold - and get this - some people actually like the cold weather and winter activities. Imagine that!! Some hate the cold weather - those people will tell you how miserable it is but in reality, it comes down to preference. We constantly get mocked for our weather in the Northeast and people don't seem to realize that there are people who like what winter brings. For some reason, people assume we automatically must hate it. Not true at all.

And anyway, this is a coast vs coast thread, not Southern CA versus Northeast thread. The further South you go, the milder winters are. Extreme Southern Florida is even tropical.
What??? Who said it has anything to do with Southern California? It's about the West Coast. The northern part of the West Coast doesn't have winters with as severe weather as the northern part of the East Coast. But my initial post was to someone who claimed that "severe" weather didn't happen along the coast (NYC to DC) ... that you had to go "further inland" to get it. And I thought the timing was kind of coincidental.

But considering you're the only one doing any mocking here that I see ... projecting much?

I guess this is more media exaggeration? Airport closed, flights cancelled, travelers stranded, mayor tells people to just stay home. Those seem kind of like verifiable facts ... how do you exaggerate that?

Old 01-03-2014, 10:31 AM

[quote=EnricoV;32854659]What??? Who said it has anything to do with Southern California? It's about the West Coast. The northern part of the West Coast doesn't have winters with as severe weather as the northern part of the East Coast. But my initial post was to someone who claimed that "severe" weather didn't happen along the coast (NYC to DC) ... that you had to go "further inland" to get it. And I thought the timing was kind of coincidental.

But considering you're the only one doing any mocking here that I see ... projecting much?

I guess this is more media exaggeration? Airport closed, flights cancelled, travelers stranded, mayor tells people to just stay home. Those seem kind of like verifiable facts ... how do you exaggerate that?[/QUOTE

Businesses are still open.. people are out going to work trains are running. The sun is out and the snow is done coming down.. It's all exaggeration. I'm a Floridian and this snow and cold isn't that bad at all. Media always over exaggerates stuff.

I wish I knew how to post videos on here.. I would love to take a video when I head to the gym. So u can see everyone running around like it's spring

Old 01-03-2014, 11:41 AM

2,226 posts, read 3,855,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
Businesses are still open.. people are out going to work trains are running. The sun is out and the snow is done coming down.. It's all exaggeration. I'm a Floridian and this snow and cold isn't that bad at all. Media always over exaggerates stuff.

I wish I knew how to post videos on here.. I would love to take a video when I head to the gym. So u can see everyone running around like it's spring
Delaware is advising people to stay off the roads, but it has pretty poor snow-clearing equipment and pretty poor transit. DC is up and running, which I could have predicted. Everyone freaks out over the first "storm" and then ends up ignoring the worse storm. It's not really that bad, though, but a lot of sidewalks and uncleared roads froze. People need to just be more careful, I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.