Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: East Coast vs. West Coast
East Coast 426 50.30%
West Coast 421 49.70%
Voters: 847. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 09:10 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,656,133 times

Advertisements

I lived on the East Coast for the first 30 years of my life and now live on the West Coast. IMO, the West Coast is far superior to the East Coast.

What's so great about East Coast culture, really? I mean, it's not nearly as open and progressive as West Coast culture, and there's a much more emphasis on money, power, status, and wealth, not to mention being "tough" -- AKA being rude, pushy, argumentative, confrontational, shrewd, shady, ghetto, or displaying some other variant of a "get-outta-my-way" mentality. Ugh.

The West Coast is more open, tolerant, and humane -- definitely not as conformist, traditionalist, or cut-throat as the East Coast. The West Coast has a counterculture element to it that the East Coast sorely lacks, not to mention more nature-lovers and people who "stop to smell the roses" as well, which is why activities such as hiking, gardening, watching sunsets, etc. are more popular on the West Coast. The West Coast has more laid-back and chilled-out individuals overall. West Coast cities are much more naturally distinguishable and striking than East Coast cities, and people want to preserve that beauty. Also, the weather on the West Coast is much more pleasant. All of this helps make the West Coast an easier, more pleasant place to live, IMO.

Boston, NYC, and DC are cool cities with some neat history, but let's get real -- they all look the same, for the most part. Like, as if anyone really wants to live in Jersey? No one dreams of moving to Jersey -- most people who live there are born there and forced to live there. Same goes for Philly, Baltimore, Rochester, Buffalo, Hartford, or Providence -- kind of bleak cities, to say the least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2014, 09:19 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,109,900 times
I don't think anyone is going to disagree with you..

Old 11-26-2014, 09:26 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,944,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
I lived on the East Coast for the first 30 years of my life and now live on the West Coast. IMO, the West Coast is far superior to the East Coast.

What's so great about East Coast culture, really? I mean, it's not nearly as open and progressive as West Coast culture, and there's a much more emphasis on money, power, status, and wealth, not to mention being "tough" -- AKA being rude, pushy, argumentative, confrontational, shrewd, shady, ghetto, or displaying some other variant of a "get-outta-my-way" mentality. Ugh.

The West Coast is more open, tolerant, and humane -- definitely not as conformist, traditionalist, or cut-throat as the East Coast. The West Coast has a counterculture element to it that the East Coast sorely lacks, not to mention more nature-lovers and people who "stop to smell the roses" as well, which is why activities such as hiking, gardening, watching sunsets, etc. are more popular on the West Coast. The West Coast has more laid-back and chilled-out individuals overall. West Coast cities are much more naturally distinguishable and striking than East Coast cities, and people want to preserve that beauty. Also, the weather on the West Coast is much more pleasant. All of this helps make the West Coast an easier, more pleasant place to live, IMO.

Boston, NYC, and DC are cool cities with some neat history, but let's get real -- they all look the same, for the most part. Like, as if anyone really wants to live in Jersey? No one dreams of moving to Jersey -- most people who live there are born there and forced to live there. Same goes for Philly, Baltimore, Hartford, Providence -- kind of bleak cities, to say the least.
That's pretty ironic. My friend who recently got married and moved out to San Diego two years ago can't wait to move back to the east coast (Florida). She complains that it's just too dry and brown and superficial and EXPENSIVE. I know many people from New England who moved out to CA and moved back to New England within a couple years because they missed the truly lush greenery and dynamic climate. The climate in California is too monotonous and the drab, dry appearance of the land just doesn't cut it. I'd rather have flat and green like Florida, even. California continues to lose significant white population year over year (about 100,000 per year). I don't care how racist that sounds. It's a symptom of something wrong going on with that state. I mean, the Los Angeles Metro area is now only 30% white, while the national percentage is 63%. WTF?!? California domestic population growth is stagnant as ever. In the West, all the growth is in Las Vegas, Phoenix and Denver. Furthermore, the West continues to have severe water conservation problems that makes us really start to wonder how long until some of these cities become ghost towns.

And counter-culture is highly undesirable IMO. I have zero tolerance for hipsters (which is the most conformist mentality that exists, by the way). They all dress the same, live the same, use public transit, do the same activities, etc. How much more conformist can they get?! If that's a desirable thing to you, please keep it on the West coast.

72% of the American population does not live in the West region. The "real" American population lives overwhelmingly in the eastern U.S. Eastern Standard Time is the benchmark/reference/default time zone for the entire nation. East coast is "default" America. West coast is "alternative" America.

Virtually all of the economic/employment centers in the West coast are WAY too expensive for the average American to live in. The east coast has far more options -- expensive or affordable -- for all Americans. Living on the west coast is simply unaffordable for most Americans. Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, Sacramento, Los Angeles and San Diego are all too expensive now. Maybe that explains the mass exodus of Californians to other places like Oregon, Phoenix and Denver. Although Denver is very expensive too now.

I definitely agree with you however about the aggressive mindset and classism that exists on the east coast. I want no part of it whatsoever. But it's only really on the northeast coast. It's not like that in places like upstate NY, Vermont, Maine or the South. And heck, some of that mentality exists quite a bit in Seattle.

Also, as far as gay community goes....it's much better on the east coast. East coast gays tend to be far more intelligent, attractive and hard working. West coast gays tend to have only part-time jobs far more often than their counterparts on the east coast. My manager -- a woman -- lived in San Diego for 12 years and couldn't wait to come back to the east coast. She said that almost all of the men she met there only cared about surfing and paying the rent. No ambition whatsoever.

One final point I want to make is that the metro areas on the West coast, particularly L.A. has tons and tons of ugly sprawl. It's not a real city. It's just a giant high density suburb. The east coast cities have REAL full fledged public transit systems that don't even exist on the West coast. Urban life is best experienced in the BosWash corridor, hands down.

Last edited by nep321; 11-26-2014 at 10:09 PM..

Old 11-26-2014, 10:20 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,561,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
That's pretty ironic. My friend
IOW - you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

Old 11-26-2014, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
IOW - you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.
Care to elaborate on that? Much of what I listed were statistical facts.

Old 11-26-2014, 10:45 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Are we counting the East Coast as all of the eastern seaboard down to Florida (Atlantic Ocean side)? If so, then it's easily the East Coast--if not, then I'd say East Coast by a smaller margin.

Old 11-26-2014, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Are we counting the East Coast as all of the eastern seaboard down to Florida (Atlantic Ocean side)? If so, then it's easily the East Coast--if not, then I'd say East Coast by a smaller margin.
Yes. From Maine all the way to Miami. The East coast has much more frontage than the west coast.

Old 11-26-2014, 10:48 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Yes. From Maine all the way to Miami. The East coast has much more frontage than the west coast.
Yea, then there's not much of a comparison since the East Coast has such a huge variation. Just going from Maine to DC seems like a hard enough choice when choosing between that and the West Coast, but once you put in the actual full extent of the Eastern seaboard, then there's really not much of a comparison.

Old 11-26-2014, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yea, then there's not much of a comparison since the East Coast has such a huge variation. Just going from Maine to DC seems like a hard enough choice when choosing between that and the West Coast, but once you put in the actual full extent of the Eastern seaboard, then there's really not much of a comparison.
Starting the Holiday early, are ye?

Old 11-26-2014, 11:52 PM

Considering the numerical advantage resulting from the historical indolence of the locals, the EC should be crushing this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.