Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you rather live and prefer?
Western half of the U.S. 307 48.58%
Eastern half of the U.S. 325 51.42%
Voters: 632. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 10:23 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,552,695 times

Advertisements

The fact that is thread has gone almost 30 pages is beyond me, these West Coast posters are really out to make a point lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2015, 11:37 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,559,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Again, entirely a matter of opinion.
Sure, just like every father thinks their daughter is more beautiful than Kate Beckinsale.

Old 09-30-2015, 12:51 AM

5,976 posts, read 13,115,474 times
West for me.

The east has just as much natural beauty as the west does.

But the West has geographic variety in climate zones, biomes, and geologic formations, vast public lands that one can enjoy without fear of tresspassing, one of a kind iconic natural wonders (again with the public lands).

The east has beautiful fall colors that the west doesn't (except aspens), as well as swamplands. The oceans are easier to actually swim in, both in terms of water temperature as well as waves breaking well before they get to shore, but that same thing translates to no surfing culture, and sweltering summer humidity and increased risk of hurricanes.

Overall, its easy and justifiable to feel that if you've seen nature in the east in one state you kinda sorta have seen it all. (as broad swaths of the east have the same forests, farms, climate and geology. And any public lands are few and far between. In the west you could spend a lifetime exploring the natural wonders of one state, in the east you go to the same lake in the woods every year.

The thing about the West IMO, is that the cities truly have something for everyone. Maybe I'm biased because I like laid back and outdoorsy culture, but I think its way easier to find ones niche in western cities as they are more made up of relatively recent transplants. In eastern cities one can feel like an outsider even if you've been there for years, because you haven't grown up with the same references.

I will say the east totally blows away the west when it comes to true college towns. I'm talking about traditional (quads and all) colleges that are in towns whose economy revolves around higher education. Thats where the east wins. University life in the west is more practical. The architecture is newer practical/functional, and is built centrally located to the population (IE: CSUs and UCs in CA)

Also, in terms of richness certain hyphenated American subcultures, the east also wins.

IE: The midwest rules on German/Scandinavian/Central European heritage.

I would say the east overall has a richer Black American heritage, especially the South. From rural homelands in the Mississippi Delta to the Black meccas of Atlanta and D.C. to the Caribbean culture of NYC. In the west Black culture is smaller and more integrated. The West rules as far as hispanic culture in the US though.

Overall, if I were to compare the eastern half of the US to the western half of the US to other developed regions of the world, I would compare

The eastern US to Europe (with eastern europe being what the Southern US would have been like say before WWII/1940s in the US, when the South was truly lagging behind): More compact, historic cities, pretty, long settled countryside, but feels kind of "samey", cultural richness and tradition but one can feel like a stranger in a strange land,

whereas the western US is like the Southern hemisphere developed regions: Australia/NZ and S. Americas southern cone (Argentina/Chile): Nations of vast uninhabited country full of natural wonders, paleontological and geologic interest, a certain "cowboy culture" (gauchos, Australiand drovers/bushrangers), remote mining, outdoor pursuits, laid back cities, with a more outdoor culture, and made up of people who are relatively recent immigrants going back a few generations.

Not the perfect comparison, but you get the idea.

To me personally, the East is a great place to be from and have roots, but the West is a better place to move to and spread your wings and flourish.

Old 09-30-2015, 01:59 AM

4,156 posts, read 5,559,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
West for me.

The east has just as much natural beauty as the west does
C'mon. You just won a pre- paid 7 day eco-adventure road trip. Your points of departure are anyplace of your choosing, as long it's on either the west or east coast.

Where are leaving from?

Old 09-30-2015, 10:48 AM

366 posts, read 404,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
Sure, just like every father thinks their daughter is more beautiful than Kate Beckinsale.
Oh I'm pretty sure we can find women better looking than Kate Beckinsale to describe the scenery of the east...

Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
No, it doesn't.
I'm not sure if you actually did, but if you felt insecure enough to actually report my response it quite obviously does. But like I said, keep telling yourself otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
In the west you could spend a lifetime exploring the natural wonders of one state, in the east you go to the same lake in the woods every year.
Sure...if you are boring.

Like people out west obsessed with surfing like it's a necessity of life and that's about the only thing they ever do.

Last edited by KaneKane; 09-30-2015 at 10:56 AM..

Old 09-30-2015, 11:45 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,960,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Whether or not the coastline is factually more scenic is entirely a matter of opinion. For example I prefer the Carolinas to California.

The east is not without its mountains and impressive geographical features.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but in my opinion the CA, OR, and WA coastline is superior. Im not a big fan of flat, sandy beaches (like you find in SC). I like sandy beaches with big ol mountains right inland, like you find on the West Coast.

Old 09-30-2015, 12:18 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,960,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
The fact that is thread has gone almost 30 pages is beyond me, these West Coast posters are really out to make a point lol.
The door swings both ways, homeslice.

Old 09-30-2015, 12:58 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,108,341 times
It takes two to tango!

But yeah, really confused by his/her comment.

Old 09-30-2015, 01:20 PM

345 posts, read 976,506 times
Looking at the satellite pictures, I'm amazed how quickly things brown out once you get past the Mississippi.

I'd prefer not to live in a dry, tinder box, so I'd prefer to live east.

I also prefer warm climates, hence I live in Florida.

That's not to say I wouldn't mind exploring the West as a visitor.

Old 09-30-2015, 02:04 PM

1,207 posts, read 1,281,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cultured Simpleton View Post
Objectively, East is better than the West.

Only those who can't make it out East move out West. No one in real life thinks of the West, except for LA. Sorry to break it!

West Coast posters on here working on double overtime.
I don't think you know what objectively means...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City