Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you rather live and prefer?
Western half of the U.S. 307 48.58%
Eastern half of the U.S. 325 51.42%
Voters: 632. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2019, 08:09 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,723,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
I’d rather road trip out west and see nature. But living is something else. Give me the East Coast.
I've heard this quite a bit. Would you care to elaborate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2019, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
That is a gross over generalization. Portland? Denver? Santa Fe? Boise? Sacramento? Salt Lake City?Those cities have no culture?

Trust me, I'm with you on cities like Phoenix, El Paso, Las Vegas, and about half a dozen California cities, but you are hugely over generalizing.
I'm a little late to this discussion, but did you use culture and Salt Lake City in the same sentence? I like SLC, but to put it and Boise in the same category as Portland, Denver or Sacramento is...well, shocking.

Old 03-11-2019, 10:15 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,539,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
I've heard this quite a bit. Would you care to elaborate?
Given the major difference in population density and number of cities/towns/etc, the east does have a very different vibe than a lot of the west outside the coast.

In the east you can live rural and only be an hour away from the nearest small city. In the west you can be around a day from anywhere.

Some people just prefer the connectivity of the east. Others prefer the solitude of the west.

Old 03-11-2019, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Given the major difference in population density and number of cities/towns/etc, the east does have a very different vibe than a lot of the west outside the coast.

In the east you can live rural and only be an hour away from the nearest small city. In the west you can be around a day from anywhere.

Some people just prefer the connectivity of the east. Others prefer the solitude of the west.
I see what you're saying.

Old 03-11-2019, 12:51 PM

22 posts, read 39,550 times
Southern Utah is amazing! Hot summers and temperate the rest of the year. No snow. Lots to do! Gorgeous scenery, really nice people, slower pace but still has lots to offer. The Mormon population is less now that many others have relocated there. It's a vacation destination! Very conservative, friendly, upbeat. Give the west a try. Forget California and Arizona. Colorado is not a good idea either. Idaho is very expensive and too cold. Wyoming is cowboy country. Montana is beautiful but cold. You can visit all these areas from southern Utah. Check out St. George, UT.
Pollution, fires, etc. The pacific ocean is very dirty, lots of dumping of chemicals.
I also love Florida!

Old 03-11-2019, 05:29 PM

2,898 posts, read 1,998,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camerali View Post
Southern Utah is amazing! Hot summers and temperate the rest of the year. No snow. Lots to do! Gorgeous scenery, really nice people, slower pace but still has lots to offer. The Mormon population is less now that many others have relocated there. It's a vacation destination! Very conservative, friendly, upbeat. Give the west a try. Forget California and Arizona. Colorado is not a good idea either. Idaho is very expensive and too cold. Wyoming is cowboy country. Montana is beautiful but cold. You can visit all these areas from southern Utah. Check out St. George, UT.
Pollution, fires, etc. The pacific ocean is very dirty, lots of dumping of chemicals.
I also love Florida!
Is st George Utah still expensive? I remember looking into it a few years back, but the housing quality to cost ratio was too way off for my liking. It reminded me of Western Idaho in pricing.

Southern Utah is underrated, I'll give you that. I'm surprised it has so few boosters on here.

Old 03-11-2019, 05:31 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,542,189 times
East Coast—primarily for the people. More grounded, direct, less easily offended, good sense of humor including sarcasm, punctual, gritty, reliable, tell it like it is (no sugar coating).

Old 03-11-2019, 08:22 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,102,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
East Coast—primarily for the people. More grounded, direct, less easily offended, good sense of humor including sarcasm, punctual, gritty, reliable, tell it like it is (no sugar coating).
Sorry, but that’s just B.S.
Granted folks from the northeast are direct, but we live in a country of migrants. Where do you think the folks in the west come from? Just Saying.

Old 03-15-2019, 07:34 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,542,189 times
Why is that BS?...granted, most of my friends and the people I had the best relationships with out West were predominantly transplants (“migrants”, as you would call them) from back East...and the East (Northeast) certainly has a reputation of being more direct, arrogant, judgmental, and rude (I’m not offended by that) whereas the West, or maybe one state or portion thereof has a reputation—deserved or not and NOT everyone—of being more flakey, superficial, PC and more likely to be non-committal and/or show up late (does that offend you??)....these are not generalizations I just made up the other day.

Personally, I prefer upfront and like to know where I stand and whom I’m dealing with...why pretend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Red Road View Post
Sorry, but that’s just B.S.
Granted folks from the northeast are direct, but we live in a country of migrants. Where do you think the folks in the west come from? Just Saying.

Last edited by elchevere; 03-15-2019 at 08:12 AM..

Old 03-15-2019, 08:59 AM

1,260 posts, read 1,102,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Why is that BS?...granted, most of my friends and the people I had the best relationships with out West were predominantly transplants (“migrants”, as you would call them) from back East...and the East (Northeast) certainly has a reputation of being more direct, arrogant, judgmental, and rude (I’m not offended by that) whereas the West, or maybe one state or portion thereof has a reputation—deserved or not and NOT everyone—of being more flakey, superficial, PC and more likely to be non-committal and/or show up late (does that offend you??)....these are not generalizations I just made up the other day.

Personally, I prefer upfront and like to know where I stand and whom I’m dealing with...why pretend?

Because you’re essentially stereotyping 320 million people based on which half the country they live in.
What could with go wrong with that theory! Lol.

I travel for work and I’m in a different city almost every week, and people are people wherever you go. There’re just as many flakey, superficial, PC, non- committal folks (to use your words) on the east coast as you find anywhere else, and being direct and upfront is not exclusive to the NE.

If you truly believe these tired old stereotypes I’m sure I can’t convince you otherwise, but you may want to get out more.

Last edited by Good Red Road; 03-15-2019 at 10:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City