Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you rather live and prefer?
Western half of the U.S. 307 48.58%
Eastern half of the U.S. 325 51.42%
Voters: 632. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 01:12 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,200,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
And The pacific northwest is not lush and green?!
Exactly. The PNW is even more lush and green than back east because it rains more than many eastern places, and since they have mostly evergreens, it stays green all year instead of turning into ugly sticks and branches in winter with a few pines here and there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2013, 01:46 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,204,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
The western US is beautiful and diverse without a doubt; but not as much more than the East as some people like to claim.

The eastern US is covered nearly every mile in some kind of thick forestry. This can give outsiders and the ignorant the illusion of samey-wamey. But when one really pays attention, that vast forest has a ton of diversity from region to region, especially north to south.

That forest also covers an array of differently colored soils, rocks and different formations of hills and mountains. Let's not forget the wetlands of the east! There is more diversity in swamps in the east than the west can ever hope to claim to. It's not all about mountains and desert.

Speaking of mountains, Autumn in the Appalachians, especially from West Virginia through New England, is the most breath-takingly beautiful in the world. And snowy winter in the northeast? Simply a sight to behold.

For some reason people get this idea that the east is all flat and without any diversity. They could not be more wrong. There are vast swaths of the west that can be very samey as well.

As far as people, I prefer eastern culture and food (NYC, Appalachia, Louisiana, Old Dixie, New England). But that's not a fair gauge as I am a child of the east. I'm sure the west offers it's people just as much.

P.S. I will never call Hellmanns mayo "Best Foods".
+1
Applause Crowd Cheering sound effect - YouTube

Disclaimer: These are not mine.

Old 09-08-2013, 02:01 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,204,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
Yes. They just drive SO slowly because of the laid-back lifestyle. Horrible traffic that's sometimes worse than LA.
Oh wow lol.

Old 09-08-2013, 02:08 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,692,937 times
The East Coast is beautiful. But not as beautiful as the West (or as diverse). It's the same way that the West has big cities, but a lot aren't as urban or as impressive as the Eastern cities.

I personally think it's unfair that the East can play the "We have more/better cities" game, but the West isn't allowed to use it's advantages...

Old 09-08-2013, 02:16 PM

399 posts, read 882,164 times
California, Colorado, Oregon and Washington destroy anything out East geography wise, and I say this as someone who loves the Northeast geography. Itll always be where I came from and I have a soft spot for it.

Old 09-08-2013, 02:20 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,471,476 times
I think Eastern US is more exciting in my taste, while Western is much more beautiful. But I rather live in the eastern half.

Not my picture.

Old 09-08-2013, 02:41 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,512,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I actually like the PNW so I do not agree with your statement. Anyway this thread is about the western half of the country not just the west coast. You are also talking about Texas, the Southwest states and the Rocky Mountains etc.

The West in general has much more dramatic scenery, much more wildlife and wilderness and as someone had mentioned many of the western cities are surrounded by open space.

The East in general has more beautiful scenery (vast forests and 10s of thousands of lakes), much more history and IMO more interesting traditional cultures and cities.
Yeah exactly. I guess this is what is the difference between westerners and easterners. Western people always cite the beautiful landscape, but eastern people always talk about cities. I am a city kind of person, and since the eastern half has more world class cities I choose the east

Old 09-08-2013, 02:44 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,512,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
The East Coast is beautiful. But not as beautiful as the West (or as diverse). It's the same way that the West has big cities, but a lot aren't as urban or as impressive as the Eastern cities.

I personally think it's unfair that the East can play the "We have more/better cities" game, but the West isn't allowed to use it's advantages...
When you say diverse, I hope you mean climate wise, not people wise

Old 09-08-2013, 02:45 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,471,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyBrGr View Post

Yes, obviously. Climate, nature, landscaping.

Old 09-08-2013, 02:48 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,692,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyBrGr View Post
I'm not that naive. lol. I was talking about diversity in geography/climate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City