Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city do you prefer?
Salt Lake City 20 60.61%
Tucson 13 39.39%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-07-2013, 12:42 PM

10,720 posts, read 23,621,080 times

Advertisements

Two medium sized Western metros, SLC metro being quite a bit larger though they are quite different. Compare the two cities and state what your preference would be.

-Best Downtown and best neighborhoods
-Most Eclectic, best food/culinary, and creative arts
-Best Location
-Scenery
-Climate
-Best College Town
-Wasatch range/Utah vs. Southern Arizona for out of city excursions
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2013, 01:03 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,627,926 times
As of now, I'd go with SLC. I feel like it's coming along faster than Tucson.

-Best Downtown and best neighborhoods SLC for sure
-Most Eclectic, best food/culinary, and creative arts Tucson from what I know
-Best Location SLC
-Scenery Slight edge to SLC, Tucson is impressive though
-Climate SLC. Don't know if I could do the full on desert climate
-Best College Town Tucson maybe?
-Wasatch range/Utah vs. Southern Arizona for out of city excursions I'll call this a tie.

Old 09-07-2013, 08:15 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,421,699 times
Salt Lake is dry - it's near the desert but not Death Valley desertlike.

Salt Lake's downtown has struggled for YEARS. You will find restaurants - but you won't find bars.

Food here is chain food - and boring.

College town? I don't know Tucson - but we have quite a few colleges here - U of Utah, BYU, Utah State the north to mention a few.

Wasatch Range has the best skiing in the country. Wonderful hiking, biking, fishing, camping, etc.

I don't think I'd want to spend a summer in Tucson.

Old 09-07-2013, 08:33 PM

489 posts, read 905,296 times
-Best Downtown and best neighborhoods
-Most Eclectic, best food/culinary, and creative arts
-Best Location
-Scenery
-Climate
-Best College Town
-Wasatch range/Utah vs. Southern Arizona for out of city excursions

Downtown: SLC-shopping, light rail, proximity to U of Utah, Temple Square SLC

Eclectic: don't have an opinion. Both are bland, I suppose.

Best Location: SLC is isolated, but is in the middle of gorgeous mountains and close to some of the best national parks in the county. Also, Park City. I can't stand the dry heat of the Southwest, but in Tucson, you're not far from Phoenix. Also some great weekend getaways in proximity, but overall SLC

Scenary: Wasatch front. Nuff said. SLC

Weather: I hate snow, but don't mind cold. Really hate hot weather. SLC

Best College Town: Tucson. If you didn't head East from downtown SLC, you wouldn't even know that a major state university was there. Tucson

Excursions: Park City is pretty fun for a weekend, and I've never even set foot on the slopes SLC

Old 09-08-2013, 12:24 AM

1,016 posts, read 2,960,923 times
I would choose Tucson for a few reasons. Firstly, It's only an hour 1/2 away from a major city (Phoenix area) if I want the big city amenities and good shopping. The closest major city to SLC (Denver) is quite a drive but a quick flight. Also the weather in Tucson is pretty nice year round. Yes the summers are hot but it isn't as bad as people make it out to be and it cools down a great deal at night. It's also close to SoCal and all that comes with that.

-Best Downtown and best neighborhoods: SLC
-Most Eclectic, best food/culinary, and creative arts: You can't beat Tucson's Mexican food
-Best Location: Tucson imo......SLC is too isolated
-Scenery: SLC
-Climate: Tucson
-Best College Town: UofA runs Tucson
-Wasatch range/Utah vs. Southern Arizona for out of city excursions: Ummm tie both are definitely worth exploring especially for 1st time visitors

Old 09-08-2013, 11:57 AM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,421,699 times
The only "big city amenities" SLC lacks are bars.

Otherwise - this resembles So Cal in a lot of ways.

Old 09-09-2013, 10:31 AM

4,836 posts, read 11,948,734 times
I spent 8 days in the SLC area and for being Utah I was fairly impressed. For nightlife I went to a few bars. They were not downtown but it was not terrible nightlife. Also I stayed at a friends place in Park City and its nightlife was decent with a few "college" like bars for such a small town.

The food was pretty decent. And spending and afternoon in Downtown SLC the city had some energy and downtown is planned out decently with some parks, great transit, malls etc..

SLC also has a major airport making travel around the country much easier.

SLC get the edge. It is a small city but its the "big city" for Utah and whenever a smaller city is the big city of the state it gives it a bigger feeling. If anyone understands what I mean by that.

Old 09-09-2013, 09:24 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,862,819 times
Salt Lake Piety UT vs. Toostoned AZ

Old 09-09-2013, 09:47 PM

654 posts, read 1,901,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cacto View Post
Valuable addition to the thread. Will read again.

Old 09-09-2013, 10:29 PM

10,720 posts, read 23,621,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cacto View Post
Phoenicians don't really appreciate Tucson very much do they? That's the impression I've gotten in the Arizona threads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City