Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Better Islands Desetination
Hawaii 76 54.68%
Caribbean 63 45.32%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 06:29 PM

10,745 posts, read 23,804,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPirate355 View Post
Something else that many people don't seem to be aware of is that Hawaii also has a lot of racism. It's directed mainly at white people by native Hawaiians, I was warned not to stop at certain towns because they beat up white people, especially at night. There is also a "kill a Haole day ", which is kill a white person day. There are even schools where only native Hawaiians are allowed to attend and they only higher each other.

Hawaii might be the most racist state in the country now that I think about it. Not saying everybody is racist in Hawaii, certainly not, but Hawaii gets away with a lot of things that would never happen on the mainland.
While some of what you say is true, it certainly does not prove Hawaii to be the most racist state in the country by any stretch of the imagination. That's an absurd claim. Most races there (which is a diverse number) co-exist fairly well in Hawaii. There are spots to stay away from there, and elements of prejudice just like anywhere else. However most racist state is a preposterous statement based on anecdotes and not facts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 08:05 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,978,305 times
I won't say one is better than the other because they are two unique get aways but what I find interesting is that Hawaii has snow skiing trails on the big island. How often does it snow there? I had no idea it even existed.

source: Mauna Kea Trail Map - Ski Association of Hawaii

Old 10-19-2013, 09:10 PM

1,225 posts, read 3,228,513 times
I love both. The Caribbean has beautiful beaches, clear water, a variety of cultures depending on the island you visit. But, there's nowhere quite like Hawaii. I went to Hawaii for my first time last year and was blown away by the feel of the islands... the topography, the cuisine, the people. Hawaii is likely more expensive to visit, but completely worth the added expense if you can afford it. There's something magical about an island paradise in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, 4 hours from the mainland. I left my heart in Hawaii and can't wait to vacation there again someday.

Old 10-19-2013, 09:59 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,140,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
We know. Hawaii is safer that the Caribbean on the whole. But we also know that this showed like 4 Caribbean island nations, one of which (Cuba) is barely accessible by US residents.
Okay. Supplement that website with Wikipedia's list of murder rates by country. Hawaii's per capita rate is 1.2

The lowest rate in any Caribbean country is Martinique, which is 4.2

Bottom line, the safest island in the Caribbean is four times more dangerous than Hawaii.

Old 10-19-2013, 10:49 PM

204 posts, read 309,489 times
May as well vacation in Utah if you're worried about safety.

Hawaii get's boring after a while. Hawaii has a beautiful culture, but the Caribbean has much more than just one culture to offer. Nightlife isn't as great as Caribbean islands. As a kid I enjoyed visiting the Bahamas, PR, and Jamaica, with my family, so I thought it would be awesome to live on a great island like Hawaii. Me and my Caucasian friend visited for a month to scope out condo's. Hawaii is a little racist toward white people. My friend had a really bad experience with women and the locals. It was funny to me, because when I dealt with similar stuff on the mainland he told me to "get over it". Nevertheless, Racism is wrong no matter what and we're bros. After finding the perfect place, none of us wanted to move because we had a better life already in Miami. Miami is so close to the Caribbean, that we visit it all the time. It never gets boring.

Old 10-21-2013, 03:52 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,695,342 times
The Caribbean is plenty safe, it all depends on what island and what parts you go to. I hear people say Puerto Rico is dangerous, I know people who have lived there for years. They tell me that the only dangerous part of the island are a couple ghettos in San Juan. The rest is completely fine.

The Caribbean get's my vote. Much cheaper than Hawaii, and closer (for me). Not to mention it looks just as beautiful as Hawaii does. I see nothing that Hawaii can offer that the Caribbean can't, and the Caribbean offers it at a much better price. Plus your not extremely isolated and can still get back to the mainland fairly easy, or visit one of the other islands. And the Caribbean definitely has better beaches, that long white sand can never be found in Hawaii.

Old 10-21-2013, 11:44 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,112,972 times
Quote:
The Caribbean is plenty safe, it all depends on what island and what parts you go to. I hear people say Puerto Rico is dangerous, I know people who have lived there for years. They tell me that the only dangerous part of the island are a couple ghettos in San Juan. The rest is completely fine.

The Caribbean get's my vote. Much cheaper than Hawaii, and closer (for me). Not to mention it looks just as beautiful as Hawaii does. I see nothing that Hawaii can offer that the Caribbean can't, and the Caribbean offers it at a much better price. Plus your not extremely isolated and can still get back to the mainland fairly easy, or visit one of the other islands. And the Caribbean definitely has better beaches, that long white sand can never be found in Hawaii.
Except that Hawaii is much nicer. Caribbean is safe overall but certainly has certain islands with much more crime and higher murder rates than any US state. Cheaper usually doesn't mean better.....

Old 10-22-2013, 01:14 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,695,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Except that Hawaii is much nicer. Caribbean is safe overall but certainly has certain islands with much more crime and higher murder rates than any US state. Cheaper usually doesn't mean better.....
Hawaii being nicer is just your opinion, how is it much nicer exactly? Looks pretty much the same as the Caribbean, only difference is that the Caribbean has warm white sand and Hawaii does not. Millions of people visit Caribbean every year just like Hawaii, in fact I think the Caribbean get's more tourists. And yet they all continue to visit the Caribbean again year after year. If it was so dangerous than people wouldn't go back. Also comparing murder rates isn't very accurate as the Caribbean is very big with several thousand different islands, where as Hawaii is only about 5.

Obviously the Caribbean is going to have more crime because more people live there. A better example would be to look at each Caribbean country individually. For example Aruba is perfectly safe regardless for the most part, Puerto Rico and the VI have a couple rough parts but they are easy to avoid and people vacation there all the time.

There are some rough parts in Hawaii too, don't go to China Town in Honolulu. Hawaii also has a huge homeless problem and there are certain parts of the islands that you are advised not to go to after dark if you are white.

Don't get me wrong, I think Hawaii is a truly beautiful place. But I fail to see what it has over the Caribbean, which is far easier for me to get to and much cheaper too. Not to mention it feels more exotic.

Old 10-22-2013, 03:28 PM

10,745 posts, read 23,804,636 times
Quote:
only difference is that the Caribbean has warm white sand and Hawaii does not
Actually you're wrong. As to warm beaches Hawaii is in the Tropic of Cancer, the water temps tend to hover in the high 70's to low 80's year round.

On the Big Island alone you have....

White Sand: IMG_5397 Hapuna Beach | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Black Sand: Black sand beach, Big Island, Hawaii | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Green Sand: the green sand beach | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

and on Maui we got...

Red Sand: Red Sand Beach, Hana, Maui | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

and feast your eyes on this stunning Warm White Sand Beach on Oahu: Lanikai Beach Hawaii | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Your downplaying of Hawaii really shows how unfamiliar you are with it. Clearly when in comes to beaches in Hawaii, you haven't a clue as to what you are talking about.

Oh, and then lets not forget the epic badass pipeline for surfing on Oahu's North Shore.

Surfers Surfing the Hawaiian Pipeline on the North Shore of Oahu - YouTube

Old 10-22-2013, 06:15 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,140,460 times
Quote:
Hawaii being nicer is just your opinion, how is it much nicer exactly? Looks pretty much the same as the Caribbean, only difference is that the Caribbean has warm white sand and Hawaii does not. Millions of people visit Caribbean every year just like Hawaii, in fact I think the Caribbean get's more tourists. And yet they all continue to visit the Caribbean again year after year. If it was so dangerous than people wouldn't go back. Also comparing murder rates isn't very accurate as the Caribbean is very big with several thousand different islands, where as Hawaii is only about 5.

Obviously the Caribbean is going to have more crime because more people live there. A better example would be to look at each Caribbean country individually. For example Aruba is perfectly safe regardless for the most part, Puerto Rico and the VI have a couple rough parts but they are easy to avoid and people vacation there all the time.

There are some rough parts in Hawaii too, don't go to China Town in Honolulu. Hawaii also has a huge homeless problem and there are certain parts of the islands that you are advised not to go to after dark if you are white.

Don't get me wrong, I think Hawaii is a truly beautiful place. But I fail to see what it has over the Caribbean, which is far easier for me to get to and much cheaper too. Not to mention it feels more exotic.
In addition to not knowing anything about Hawaii, I'm not sure you understand how things like "rates" of anything are calculated. The crime/murder rate is based on population. It's not simply the number of crimes that occur. That's the rate per 100,000 inhabitants. That's so you can compare smaller populated areas to larger populated areas. And that link I provided does give the rates for each Caribbean country, individually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City