Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Better Islands Desetination
Hawaii 76 54.68%
Caribbean 63 45.32%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 09:45 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
JerseyGirl --- everyone understands and has stated that accessibility depends on where you live. We get that the Caribbean is easier for you. You seem to want to challenge anyone who says Hawaii ... but understand that it's likely more accessible for them.

Being on the west coast, of course my choice is Hawaii. I've been to both, though not to as many different islands in the Caribbean. My problem with the Caribbean is, I really do think that the cruise is the way to go. I'm not a "go lay on the beach" sort of person, I want to see something on my vacation. There's just not a whole lot to occupy a whole vacation with on most of the Caribbean islands. But they are beautiful. And the food is great. Another negative is, most have in common with something that bothers me in Mexico ... I find the contrast between the "tourist" areas and the areas where the "real" people live are so extreme economically, that I just don't like it.

Of course, Hawaii is so much more familiar. It feels like a second home. I think the variety between the different islands is really terrific. The food is fabulous. The weather is sublime - better than the Caribbean.
No I don't. I was perfectly fine and then someone asked me what I was talking about, and I clarified. I have nothing against Hawaii and I want to go there. I am just partial to the incredible color of Caribbean waters. I'm not quite sure where you got this notion about me, but whatever.

It was quite clear what I was talking about all along - accessibility. Not everyone understands because someone asked me to clarify what I was saying when I was talking accessibility then brought up Mexico being close to California, which clearly has nothing to do with this conversation. If you go back and look, it's clear what I was talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2013, 09:48 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
More stuff to do in Hawaii and you can count on the medical care.

The only place I like to go in the Carib takes as long to get to as Hawaii from here.

Old 09-13-2013, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
But how would you know you prefer it anyways? You said you've still never been to Hawaii.
As I've said, my preference has a lot to do with accessibility. I also love the whole look and atmosphere of the Caribbean - I AM the type of person to lay on a gorgeous white sand beach with perfect turquoise water in front of me. I need some palm tress nearby, but I don't need mountains or lush forest or volcanoes and the like. While those are beautiful, I don't necessarily need to travel all the way to Hawaii just to see them when I am perfectly content with staying on a beach on a beautiful island closer to where I live. I am a beach person all the way, I could stay there forever and I honestly don't need to be doing something my whole vacation. My idea of relaxation and vacation is a beach and I love the Caribbean ones. I want to go to Hawaii eventually, but I would probably pick the Caribbean over Hawaii 9 times out of 10, mostly because it is very close to where I live and as I've said that water color and quality is just incredible to me.

I really don't have anything against Hawaii, at all. Don't know how I can possibly make this much clearer.

Old 09-13-2013, 10:19 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,111,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Deezus made some excellent points. One reason I started this thread was a piqued curiosity about the Caribbean as I have never been and Hawaii absolutely blew my mind and is probably the best place I've ever been (even better than some European capitals I've been to).

So, one question I have for some posters who know the Caribbean well is......What islands in the Caribbean can one go to and not be confined to a resort or tourist trap areas and safely explore, get in a car and drive around the island, explore nature, go hiking, find an off the beaten path beach the same way one could do on any Hawaiian Island? I get the impression that a lot (not all) of the Caribbean islands have 3rd world areas and safety concerns that would inhibit the freedom to explore, where Hawaii is for the most is safe to explore independently almost everywhere on all the islands.
That's a great question and a valid one.

Old 09-13-2013, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Deezus made some excellent points. One reason I started this thread was a piqued curiosity about the Caribbean as I have never been and Hawaii absolutely blew my mind and is probably the best place I've ever been (even better than some European capitals I've been to).

So, one question I have for some posters who know the Caribbean well is......What islands in the Caribbean can one go to and not be confined to a resort or tourist trap areas and safely explore, get in a car and drive around the island, explore nature, go hiking, find an off the beaten path beach the same way one could do on any Hawaiian Island? I get the impression that a lot (not all) of the Caribbean islands have 3rd world areas and safety concerns that would inhibit the freedom to explore, where Hawaii is for the most is safe to explore independently almost everywhere on all the islands.
Here's an interesting read for you, especially regarding safety. Most islands I'd say at the least have beaches off the beaten path, as you said, and many areas of the Caribbean are very nature oriented, as well. I can't give you a good list as I haven't been all that much around the islands but I know there are definitely things to do.

How safe is the Caribbean? An Island by Island Look

As I mentioned earlier, though technically not in the actual Caribbean Sea, Bermuda is one of the safer islands and has beautiful areas to explore. You can absolutely walk around Bermuda feeling safe, exploring its quaint towns, cities, and natural areas. I've also found some great lesser known beaches. I almost wish Bermuda is actually in the Caribbean Sea so it can count because it is so worth it. You would never guess you're not in Caribbean waters, though, and that it's actually the Atlantic off the Carolinas. Aruba is also safe and worth exploring IMO. I think the Bahamas are overrated, such a common choice but average (still nice though don't get me wrong), and Jamaica never appealed to me, either. It's also the most dangerous so I don't get the draw people have to it.

Old 09-13-2013, 11:13 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,111,073 times
^^That's a major advantage for Hawaii. Hawaiis crime rates are lower than the safest island numbers in that article. And the worst islands in the Caribbean for crime are terrible. Of course Jamaica is the poster child for this, but in general it's not great. Mainly not tourist areas but that goes back to what he was asking about feeling free and safe to explore the islands.

Old 09-13-2013, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
^^That's a major advantage for Hawaii. Hawaiis crime rates are lower than the safest island numbers in that article. And the worst islands in the Caribbean for crime are terrible. Of course Jamaica is the poster child for this, but in general it's not great. Mainly not tourist areas but that goes back to what he was asking about feeling free and safe to explore the islands.
That's true but I think people often exaggerate, or are too afraid of, crime in the Caribbean. I think it's become notorious and is thought of as some dangerous awful area. As the article said, it comes down to being careful and aware of your surroundings. That's why I linked it, I thought it made good points. Many locals of the islands are actually very nice, just some try to take advantage of ignorant tourists who walk around clueless. I was told that when I went to Italy, for example, I should keep my bag closed and always near my body because of the prevalence of gypsies in Rome, who like to use children to pick pocket people without them even realizing it. I did as I was told, kept my bag securely zippered and was always conscious of it on me, and I was never even approached by anyone trying to steal from me. Maybe you don't have to worry about this in Hawaii, but IMO it's not enough of a reason to not visit an island.

I know someone who just came back from St. Maarten and she said they frequently left their resort to go to bars and restaurants in nearby towns or cities during the day and night. They never once felt unsafe and were always treated well. I really think it just depends on where you go. As the article also said, the wealthier the island, the safer it generally is. Makes sense.

Old 09-14-2013, 06:44 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,924,934 times
Quote:

While not technically the Caribbean, I feel like Costa Rica may compare most to Hawaii in terms of things a tourist can do safely and the natural environment-volcanoes, rainforests, etc. I had a rental car in Costa Rica by myself for 2 weeks and was able to explore most of the Pacific side of the country. In The Dominican Republic I was with a very large group of friends so I was pretty much limited to the resort except for the few trips outside.

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 09-14-2013 at 06:54 AM..

Old 09-14-2013, 08:40 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
Barbados. This ugly Englishwoman did it. So can you! Your biggest challenge would probably be getting used to driving on the left hand side of the road.

BARBADOS HD Quality - YouTube

This video highlights one of the big differences between Hawaii and Barbados. Brits, Canadians and South Africans comprise a much greater percentage of tourists in the latter. They also comprise a greater percentage of residents as well.

Last edited by BajanYankee; 09-14-2013 at 09:02 AM..

Old 09-14-2013, 09:00 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,676,186 times
This girl wasn't afraid to walk around. With her tatas exposed at that.

Fred's Bar @ OISTINS, Barbados - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City