Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Better Islands Desetination
Hawaii 76 54.68%
Caribbean 63 45.32%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 08:53 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,979,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
That's great I have no issue with your opinion except its not a well informed opinion. I don't say that to be mean, but I wouldn't ask someone's opinion on Paris unless they have been to Paris.
My opinion is mostly based on convenience, though. I understand that they are both stunning areas and yes I've only been to one of the two - but the Caribbean is closer to me, I can get there much quicker and cheaper, and spend a long weekend there whereas for Hawaii I would need a lot of time to fully explore even one island and get a great experience. That alone is a huge draw for the Caribbean. Hawaii is just so far regardless of how wonderful it is. My opinion is mostly based on that - and how much I loved the Caribbean the times I have been.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2013, 08:56 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,141,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
No I don't. I was perfectly fine and then someone asked me what I was talking about, and I clarified. I have nothing against Hawaii and I want to go there. I am just partial to the incredible color of Caribbean waters. I'm not quite sure where you got this notion about me, but whatever.

It was quite clear what I was talking about all along - accessibility. Not everyone understands because someone asked me to clarify what I was saying when I was talking accessibility then brought up Mexico being close to California, which clearly has nothing to do with this conversation. If you go back and look, it's clear what I was talking about.
Maybe because ... yet, again, you're showing the need to defend your opinion. Just like I noted you'd been doing.

Seriously. You don't need to. You stated it. We understand. Some of us just don't agree with you.

And ... that's okay.

Old 09-14-2013, 09:03 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,979,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Maybe because ... yet, again, you're showing the need to defend your opinion. Just like I noted you'd been doing.

Seriously. You don't need to. You stated it. We understand. Some of us just don't agree with you.

And ... that's okay.
No, there are some that don't agree with me and that's fine. But then there are a couple who think I have a "problem" with Hawaii. That's what I'm not okay with. It's ridiculous. Let's not take this personally now. I don't have a problem with anywhere. I simply gave my opinion. I know - YOU know that, but apparently for a few I need to point it out yet again. A differing opinion doesn't mean I have a problem with anything.

I did not think this would get this ridiculous.

Old 09-14-2013, 09:09 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,141,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
Comparing the Caribbean to Hawaii is somewhat analogous to comparing Miami to San Diego. The Caribbean islands tend to have better beaches, better nightlife and a more interesting and diverse culture IMO.

Hawaii is beautiful but, like San Diego, I found it plain vanilla and boring (though I have been only to Honolulu). If you live on the West Coast, sure. But for those on the East Coast I don't think it's worth the 12 hour flight when you can find better (or at least as good) beaches and better vibe so much closer.
A direct flight from NYC to Honolulu clocks in at 10 hours. And yes, that's an insanely long flight. Fortunately, not everyone lives in NYC or it's environs. And those of us who don't, prefer the 5½ hour flight to Hawaii over the 15 hour flight to the Caribbean (I picked Barbados, since it was being discussed). After all, in a flight of that length, we can be in Beijing.

I can't see how either direction makes sense (going clear across the country) if all anyone is looking for is a sunny, sandy beach to lay on. Either, though, is well worth visiting for their various cultures.

And yeah, you've got to get out of Honolulu. It's just a big city.

Old 09-15-2013, 09:50 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,347,350 times
Been all over Hawaii.
Go every other year.

Been all over Carib.
Guess here we go in the in-between years?

There is no comparison.

Oh, and with airlines cutting flights and almost always having to lay over in Miami or San Juan (and sometimes even having to lay over OVERNIGHT) to get to primo Carib destinations, the 8 hour direct flight to Oahu or Maui is a freakin cinch.

The prices for the nice places ar comparable.

I dare you to go off-resort somewhere like Turks and Caicos (scary as hell)...or the Caymans (boring as hell)...

Old 09-17-2013, 01:20 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,052,133 times
For a vacation where I don't feel like leaving a resort setting (and if I was under 35 years old): Carib.

For virtually everything else: Hawaii

Distance from hom is not being considered here.

Old 09-18-2013, 01:40 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,695,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
No, there are some that don't agree with me and that's fine. But then there are a couple who think I have a "problem" with Hawaii. That's what I'm not okay with. It's ridiculous. Let's not take this personally now. I don't have a problem with anywhere. I simply gave my opinion. I know - YOU know that, but apparently for a few I need to point it out yet again. A differing opinion doesn't mean I have a problem with anything.

I did not think this would get this ridiculous.
Don't let them get to you, there is nothing wrong with preferring the Caribbean over Hawaii (or vice versa). Many people do and it's all just a subjective opinion, no reason for people to get up in arms about it like they are acting. I think him and that Hawaii guy are desperate Hawaiian real estate agents or work for the Hawaiian tourism, I seriously doubt either of them have been to the Caribbean (or even half of the places that they claim) and don't want to lose business or whatever to other places, which would explain why they get upset at people who don't share their opinion about Hawaii. They seriously show up in every thread about it and proceed to tell people that they're wrong for disagreeing with them.

No one in this thread said Hawaii was a bad place, just some people prefer the Caribbean for whatever personal reasons that they may have, and that's okay. I've been to Hawaii once, beautiful place. But aside from having family that lives there, I don't see a reason to fly all the way over there, or to spend all that money, when I can take a short flight down to South Florida or the Caribbean and get the same weather and climate and everything that Hawaii has, plus more, for far less money and flight time.

Old 09-18-2013, 01:57 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,203,482 times
Hawaii's climate is not the same as the Caribbean or South Florida, as I've pointed out in previous posts. And sometimes, a vacation in South Florida or the Caribbean can be more expensive than one in Hawaii, it depends on how you spend the money. And I have been to the Caribbean: The Bahamas, the Dominican Republic, and twice to the Turks & Caicos Islands at the Beaches Resort. The only one who hasn't been to the Caribbean, or even most of Hawaii, is you, yet you continue to act worldly and passive-aggressive. You've just visited the Keys last week, and yet you were propping it over Hawaii (when you've only been to Hilo) like a month ago. You were so desperate to give Florida attention that you lied about St. Augustine's climate. You are the onlu desperate one here.

Old 09-18-2013, 03:20 PM

8,610 posts, read 10,142,271 times
Going to Oahu next month. It will be my sixth time and I am just as excited as I was the first time.

Old 09-18-2013, 03:55 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,003,827 times
I from Miami, so basically already in the Caribbean so personally I would rather go to Hawaii. Ive never been there! But if someone said you could take a two week vacation once in either Hawaii or the Caribbean I am taking Caribbean. More islands, different cultures, more history. I like those things. Though the mountains in Hawaii do look awesome.

This is a hard question to answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City