Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More economically relevant state in the future
California 195 56.85%
Texas 148 43.15%
Voters: 343. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 04:49 PM

1,830 posts, read 2,150,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folks3000 View Post
Exactly. One could sell their house in California and go buy like 4 houses in Texas and apparently pay less taxes.... So.... Why aren't they? I think that is the question Texans need to ask themselves.
I know the cost of living is high in CA, but in a way its a good control. Imagine if we had the cost of living of Texas? Goodness gracious, the entire state would be packed from top to bottom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 05:54 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
LOL haters gonna hate.

Old 11-06-2013, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Exactly. One could sell their house in California and go buy like 4 houses in Texas and apparently pay less taxes.... So.... Why aren't they? I think that is the question Texans need to ask themselves.
'

I sold real estate for years in Texas - and many, many of my customers were fleeing in droves from California. So, no thanks, I don't "need to ask myself why Californians "aren't buying real estate in Texas" because they are. Most people don't need or want more than one house, by the way, so why buy three or four, especially in a volatile and uncertain housing market? Most people would rather invest that money in other ways.

Old 11-06-2013, 06:10 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,851,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disposable2 View Post
Dude are you like crazy? Didn't you just read his/her post? Dallas is just like LA with less minorities and less crime, also TX in general is more beautiful than Massachusetts.
Does Dallas have less crime than Los Angeles? Los Angeles is actually one of the safest large cities in the country, with its lowest crime rate in decades.

And nothing about Dallas really reminds me of Los Angeles, other than having multiple big cities in the metro.

Old 11-06-2013, 06:20 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Does Dallas have less crime than Los Angeles? Los Angeles is actually one of the safest large cities in the country, with its lowest crime rate in decades.

And nothing about Dallas really reminds me of Los Angeles, other than having multiple big cities in the metro.
Yes, LA's crime rate has dropped in recent years, but its still gang central.

There is the same pretentious vibe in both cities, but that's for another thread.

Old 11-06-2013, 06:41 PM

484 posts, read 882,469 times
This is tough to predict, because it partly depends on how far into the future. Because of the population gap it will take quite some time for Texas to actually catch up to California. Each state has its own problems, but I would say that in general, the economy in California is better in the long run. It's no secret that the Texas economy is largely based on natural gas and oil. Texas reminds me of West Virginia in the early 20th century , because everyone there depended on coal since it was "abundant" and they didn't see the environmental impact as being as bad as it is understood to be today. If there are people constantly searching for and trying to develop alternate and efficient energy sources then it's only a matter of time before being near an oilfield has an insignificant impact on the local economy. And, on the other hand, California's main problem lies in the fact that it is on a harsh terrain and receives little rain. The state's human carrying capacity is a real concern. However, California is very creative in that it created the "Hollywood" industry and the numerous tech giants that exist in the Bay Area. To me, California is a more innovative than Texas as a whole, which has led to the state having a very diverse economy. I'm aware that Texas has a "silicon valley" of its own in the Austin region, but the state will never be the leader in innovation like California is. That's why the real Silicon Valley isn't named "Austin Valley."

Old 11-06-2013, 09:07 PM

557 posts, read 715,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
'

I sold real estate for years in Texas - and many, many of my customers were fleeing in droves from California. So, no thanks, I don't "need to ask myself why Californians "aren't buying real estate in Texas" because they are. Most people don't need or want more than one house, by the way, so why buy three or four, especially in a volatile and uncertain housing market? Most people would rather invest that money in other ways.
Seems to be a Texas obsessed idea that everything in California will "flee" to Texas. A lot of newcomers in Texas are from California because... well.. it is the most populous state. There isn't some large scale exodus like Texans love to think. In fact, last time I checked California was still posting the 2nd highest numerical gains in population after Texas. My point about houses was that people stay in California DESPITE the crazy costs of living there. There must be some reason they aren't all skimping out of dodge for the Texas hills and prairies! So if Texas is "gaining" on California, it is pretty marginal gains that will probably fade once housing prices in Texas rise, which is already starting to happen. Sorry Texas, you'll never have Silicon Valley, Hollywood, world-famous coastlines and cities, a Mediterranean climate, etc etc. It isn't pretentiousness, it is just reality. The economy of Texas is booming right now because of cheap labor, oil and natural gas, and low environmental regulation. Two of those will probably run out someday, and the third you will pay the price for later on.

Old 11-07-2013, 01:16 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,851,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post

There is the same pretentious vibe in both cities, but that's for another thread.
Coulda fooled me, and I spent 3 years living in Central LA.

Old 11-07-2013, 01:23 AM

281 posts, read 472,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post

LA passed that gang crown to Chicago back in the mid 90's

Old 11-07-2013, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Seems to be a Texas obsessed idea that everything in California will "flee" to Texas. A lot of newcomers in Texas are from California because... well.. it is the most populous state. There isn't some large scale exodus like Texans love to think. In fact, last time I checked California was still posting the 2nd highest numerical gains in population after Texas. My point about houses was that people stay in California DESPITE the crazy costs of living there. There must be some reason they aren't all skimping out of dodge for the Texas hills and prairies! So if Texas is "gaining" on California, it is pretty marginal gains that will probably fade once housing prices in Texas rise, which is already starting to happen. Sorry Texas, you'll never have Silicon Valley, Hollywood, world-famous coastlines and cities, a Mediterranean climate, etc etc. It isn't pretentiousness, it is just reality. The economy of Texas is booming right now because of cheap labor, oil and natural gas, and low environmental regulation. Two of those will probably run out someday, and the third you will pay the price for later on.

LOL this is so funny. We don't WANT a Silicon Valley - we have a booming IT sector of our own. We certainly don't want any version of Hollywood. We have our own wide array of big, booming, growing cities, and a very wide range of climates that we enjoy. We have mountains and beaches and rolling hills and prairies and deserts and lush greenery. We're simply not jealous of California and don't want to be like California - we're very happy being Texas. We've got our own groove going.

And lots and lots of Californians apparently like it too since they're so busy moving here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City