Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More economically relevant state in the future
California 195 56.85%
Texas 148 43.15%
Voters: 343. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 11:10 AM

558 posts, read 715,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
I misunderstood you. When you say UC, I thought you were talking about the Bears, who are better known for their sports teams. Berkeley is known for their academics, no doubt. UCLA is definitely better known for its sports teams. And in the South, most people I've spoken with that aren't from the Midwest aren't really aware of University of Chicago or Rice. They do know the Ivy League and California schools.

I don't know why UT keeps being brought up. It's better known as a business school, not a research university.
Sorry I should have just said Cal, was too lazy to type University of California. UT gets brought up because people were discussing the major universities in each state, and UT is one of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 11:28 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
It's difficult to believe that you would form and broadcast opinions about a place you know even less about than Houston, but there you go again...

Are you really ready to go on record with this based on your one "drive through San Francisco" when you were 15? Ask yourself this: if no one commutes between San Jose and San Francisco, why are there two major freeways that begin and end between the two citities--one of them is specifically a commuter route that doesn't go through any developed area for most of its run? (280 goes through the hills on the west side to relieve traffic on 101).

As mentioned above, there's also heavy commuter rail between the two in CalTrain--a dedicated line between San Jose and San Francisco, specifically designed for commuting--including express service that only makes a few stops in between.

Where do you get this stuff?
You would be a complete moron to work 1 1/2 hours away from your job. That would be like me driving or catching a Greyhound Bus from Tyler to Dallas every morning for work. Just because its a train makes no difference at all. Its the extremely long commute & terrible QOL it involves.

Why not live in San Jose & work in San Jose or is that not possible with your states 8% versus Texas' 5% unemployment rate?

http://www.bls.gov/web/laus/laumstrk.htm

Old 05-30-2014, 12:11 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,561,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
People don't live in San Jose & commute to San Francisco to work every morning.
They do. You are wrong. But we all used to it by now.

Old 05-30-2014, 12:38 PM

Quote:
You would be a complete moron to work 1 1/2 hours away from your job. That would be like me driving or catching a Greyhound Bus from Tyler to Dallas every morning for work. Just because its a train makes no difference at all. Its the extremely long commute & terrible QOL it involves.

Why not live in San Jose & work in San Jose or is that not possible with your states 8% versus Texas' 5% unemployment rate?

Unemployment Rates for States
Well call 50k Caltrain riders big morons. I looked up the schedule for Caltrain and the express trains take 59 minutes between San Jose and SF. Also the drive time between the two is 58 minutes, vs an hour and a half between Tyler and Dallas. Also Tyler is 94 miles from Dallas, almost twice the distance from SJ to SF. Are people who live in Waukegan, IL and commute into Downtown Chicago morons? Those are similar distances. An hour commute it pretty standard in the SF Bay Area. The reason is housing costs by SF are so high many people can get a bigger house in the Santa Clara Valley or San Joaquin Valley and commute in. High housing costs drive people to crazy commutes, no pun intended. You don't always get to chose where your job is. FiDi/Soma/Mission Bay are red hot with jobs right now. You want a short commute, you live in a small house. You want a big house, you live far away and commute in. It is like that in every city, I am not sure how you can be so confused. Why would that be so? Just look at the geography. If sprawl was going to spill out of SF where would it naturally go first? Down the Peninsula into Santa Clara Valley and up and down East Bay, which it has. I don't see what is so hard to comprehend about that. You sir are blatantly wrong, try another visit. Heck pretty soon people in South Bay will be able to take BART into Oakland and SF.

Last edited by Folks3000; 05-30-2014 at 12:54 PM..

Old 05-30-2014, 12:49 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,134,833 times
Quote:

Unemployment Rates for States
What exactly is your position here? That people don't commute between SF and San Jose? Have you now confused yourself further?

And both San Jose and San Francisco are among the leading major cities in the country in terms of unemployment figures. Not sure what point you think you are making there.

Old 05-30-2014, 01:06 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,898,012 times
I think Texas will grow faster economically for a while, but it's not going to beat California in the long run. With all the economic growth in Asia and the rich Asians moving to California, that alone will keep California growing steadily. California will remain #1, but Texas will close the gap in the near future, but won't ever pass California. Americans will continue to leave California for Texas and other states, but immigration will keep California strong.

Old 05-30-2014, 01:57 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,593,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
I think Texas will grow faster economically for a while, but it's not going to beat California in the long run. With all the economic growth in Asia and the rich Asians moving to California, that alone will keep California growing steadily. California will remain #1, but Texas will close the gap in the near future, but won't ever pass California. Americans will continue to leave California for Texas and other states, but immigration will keep California strong.
Except the gap between Texas and California has only gotten wider since 2000. Gross Domestic Product by State - sorted by 2000-2005 GDP Per Capita Growth http://www.bea.gov/scb/pdf/2011/07%2..._gdp-state.pdf

California-Texas GDP differential 2000: $559,112 million
California-Texas GDP differential 2005: $632,673 million
California-Texas GDP differential 2010: $726,813 million

Even when the Great Recession was in full swing and California was at its worst and Texas was growing at its best, the GDP gap between the two got only wider. The differential between CA and TX is so large that if it were its own state, the differential would be the 4th largest economy in the US after CA, TX, and NY. Compare TX and NY, where TX actually surpassed NYS in state GDP in the 2000s

Old 05-30-2014, 02:08 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
California lost big time with Toyota of America coming to Texas.

I guess Siracha's home town saw what was about to happen & bribed them to stay.

Old 05-30-2014, 02:21 PM

Quote:

You Texans love your circumstantial evidence. Keep clinging to it! It is all you got!

Old 05-30-2014, 02:33 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,593,514 times
Quote:

But that and other companies who've left (BTW, the number of companies that have left CA is actually quite small compared to the number of new businesses sprouting up in the state) has not even begun to make a dent in the GDP differential between CA and TX. The gap has only gotten wider, not only in absolute level but also % level. I love Texas but come on, just stop already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City