Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Toronto vs. Houston
Toronto 105 64.02%
Houston 59 35.98%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 09:08 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjun18 View Post
I'm not surprised.
They still have white pride, "KKK like" marches in Calgary AND Edmonton.
Calgary:
White Pride march Calgary, AB 19/03/11 - YouTube
Edmonton: Yahoo News Canada - Latest News & Headlines

That ish would NEVER fly here in Toronto.
Ummm NO not a chance!! scary stuff though!!

As for me and my friend - man I couldn't believe it I thought we were going to get lynched in that mall! I had never experienced that feeling in Canada before. Once we got to B.C things levelled off and we felt more comfy!! Mind you this was over a decade ago so I hope for the sake of Alberta things have changed minus that demo you provided - uggh..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2013, 09:12 AM

3,862 posts, read 5,284,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjun18 View Post
I'm not surprised.
They still have white pride, "KKK like" marches in Calgary AND Edmonton.
Calgary:
White Pride march Calgary, AB 19/03/11 - YouTube
Edmonton: Yahoo News Canada - Latest News & Headlines

That ish would NEVER fly here in Toronto.
So I shouldn't book that flight to Calgary I was planning then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Once again fusion I don't think we disagree on your points above. There are issues in US cities as well for blacks and latino's. The difference is that you turn on the TV or pick up the paper and its ALWAYS addressed. Turn on CNN you have a special about being Black and Latino in America, read the NY Times and about their mayoral race and the leading candidate is taking on stop and frisk head on as a central theme of his campaign. Even Barack Obama himself who has reached the highest possible level in the land has given countless speeches about race relations in America. There is awareness and acceptance that there is an issue. How many times has Stephen Harper, Kathleen Wynn or Rob Ford broached the issue? It has taken the PM long enough to come to grips with the First Nations situation which has been terrible for decades.

Toronto will get there one day and if Olivia Chow wins election I will be the first one to buy the first bottle of Veuve Clicquot to toast her victory.

Until then I think some people need to really take a step back and consider that maybe some of the time spent speaking about and touting the diversity of Toronto could be better spent focusing on ensuring that the city is an place of equal opportunity for all. Toronto wants to bask in the glory of its diversity but doesn't want to accept that there are issues that come attached to it.
Actually this I agree with - but we are moving in that direction and it will be no shock to Torontonians white, black, Chinese - indian etc if Chow wins if she were in the race. Everyone I've spoken to of all persuasions would support her! It is really up to her to run!!!!

I think you raise some good points about media differences in the two countries.. I hardly watch CBC to be honest! What do you think about what is going on in Quebec right now with Marois... that would NOT fly here in Ontario and much less in Toronto... trust me!!

354 posts, read 681,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Ottawa is the political capital of Canada, but as the largest city - Toronto is the most powerful economically (GDP, Financial, 7th largest S.E in the world etc.) culturally would give the nod to T.O over Montreal and indisputably the media power in the country..
Definitely! There are lots of energy in the city and its filled with cultural activities. But I was just referring to one of the poster wrongly referring it as the capital of Canada (maybe sarcastically?).

But as a whole, it doesn't really get mention much outside of Canada and maybe North America? Not compared with other US cities of less importance anyway I find. I only hear it when something big happens, or if it has something to do with the Maple Leafs/hockey. I do know that it has been a big business destination for Swedish companies so maybe it's more well known in that aspect as well. Don't get me wrong, I think the low key-ness of Toronto a good quality to have. Some cities are just too overexposed for the wrong reasons.

Old 09-18-2013, 09:14 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,710,706 times
Quote:
I understand this and I am not sure the exact reasons for us not being more civic engaged in Toronto. What I do know though is its not as easy as just throwing your hat into the ring either. You need backing from your party, the ability to raise money and put together a strong ground team. Our lack of connections in higher places kills us in this regard and that needs to change before you see a true strong candidate of colour running for mayor or premier.

Mitzie Hunter's election was amazing though, a truly hard fought victory as an underdog. I followed it closely.
Yeah Mitzie is the "subway queen". Im happy for her. I also followed the election closely.

Not sure why but if you look at Brampton for example, you actually have South Asians running and winning with the support of their community. I guess it's a different mentality with African Canadians in terms of local politics in Toronto.

Old 09-18-2013, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fikatid View Post
Definitely! There are lots of energy in the city and its filled with cultural activities. But I was just referring to one of the poster wrongly referring it as the capital of Canada (maybe sarcastically?).

But as a whole, it doesn't really get mention much outside of Canada and maybe North America? Not compared with other US cities of less importance anyway I find. I only hear it when something big happens, or if it has something to do with the Maple Leafs/hockey. I do know that it has been a big business destination for Swedish companies so maybe it's more well known in that aspect as well. Don't get me wrong, I think the low key-ness of Toronto a good quality to have. Some cities are just too overexposed for the wrong reasons.
American media is NOTORIOUS for excluding Canadiana in its reporting.. unless we are hacking people with ice picks or beheading people on busses... Bombardier just had a successful maiden flight of a clean sheet design aircraft that rivals the B737 and A320, but is 15 percent more fuel efficient, more spacious and is the quietest plus 100 seat jetliner in the world and not a mention of it on CNN - yet CNN reports on naturally the 787-900 maiden flight and the Airbus A350! When Australia elected Tony Abbot CNN was all over that with multiple links.. Canadian elections - largely overlooked.. so the low key nature of things has more to do with American media than anything small about Toronto.. In terms of city proper size it would be the 3rd largest city in the United States and has the population density stats to match and has the largest construction boom in the western world.

This is surprising actually as Canada is the most important country in the world to the U.S economically - two way trade, energy and even overall culturally.. I think there is a feeling that Canada is simply the little brother to the north....

Old 09-18-2013, 09:24 AM

1,217 posts, read 2,598,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fikatid View Post
I think I am the guilty one of referring to Toronto as a capital city. Ha, I should know better since I was born there! I know it's not the capital but I meant it more in terms of substance than form. It's Canada's only real big city with no competition when it comes to relevant or clout. Houston has to split Texas with Dallas, with Austin (being more artsy) and San Antonio being the more smaller cities.

Old 09-18-2013, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathanc View Post
I think I am the guilty one of referring to Toronto as a capital city. Ha, I should know better since I was born there! I know it's not the capital but I meant it more in terms of substance than form. It's Canada's only real big city with no competition when it comes to relevant or clout. Houston has to split Texas with Dallas, with Austin (being more artsy) and San Antonio being the more smaller cities.
Well to your credit - even politically Toronto is still the capital city.... of Ontario

Old 09-18-2013, 09:26 AM

3,862 posts, read 5,284,740 times
Quote:
What do you think about what is going on in Quebec right now with Marois... that would NOT fly here in Ontario and much less in Toronto... trust me!!
I think its absolutely disgusting. I have seen first hand the type of divisions it has caused in France and I very much doubt Quebec is really thinking about the repercussions.

I agree though, that would most likely never happen in Ontario or Toronto, I do think its better than that.

Old 09-18-2013, 09:32 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,710,706 times
Quote:
Ummm NO not a chance!! scary stuff though!!

As for me and my friend - man I couldn't believe it I thought we were going to get lynched in that mall! I had never experienced that feeling in Canada before. Once we got to B.C things levelled off and we felt more comfy!! Mind you this was over a decade ago so I hope for the sake of Alberta things have changed minus that demo you provided - uggh..
Yeah there would be huge backlash if something like that every even TRIED to happen in Toronto.
Unfortunately, those that white pride march video I posted is from 2011. SMH!

I'm black and my friend (who is also black) recently got a high policy advisor position in Edmonton. I jokingly told her to "watch out" lol.

Quote:
So I shouldn't book that flight to Calgary I was planning then?
In the words of Black Sheep "The choice is yours". lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City